Charli XCX talks about growing up watching Britney: "Whoa, I could never be like that"

At 5:22 - Was there one pop star you wanted to emulate when you were younger?

I really thought that I wanted to emulate Britney Spears just because I grew up listening to her, watching her and she was so like the opposite of the girl that I was. She was blonde and bubbly and sort of fun and pretty in this way that I just didn't see myself as and I think when I was younger, I like desperately wanted to be blonde. That was such a big thing for me, and I loved her music, you know? It's funny, like when I actually got into the music industry, I was like, "Whoa, I could never be like that." Also, you get asked those questions a lot, but like, I actually really didn't want to emulate anyone. I didn't think of music in that way because I wasn't really listening to music like that. There was no like one person really when I like answer that honestly, you know?

1 hour ago, Fita said:

At 5:22 - Was there one pop star you wanted to emulate when you were younger?

I really thought that I wanted to emulate Britney Spears just because I grew up listening to her, watching her and she was so like the opposite of the girl that I was. She was blonde and bubbly and sort of fun and pretty in this way that I just didn't see myself as and I think when I was younger, I like desperately wanted to be blonde. That was such a big thing for me, and I loved her music, you know? It's funny, like when I actually got into the music industry, I was like, "Whoa, I could never be like that." Also, you get asked those questions a lot, but like, I actually really didn't want to emulate anyone. I didn't think of music in that way because I wasn't really listening to music like that. There was no like one person really when I like answer that honestly, you know?

something about this is ...yuck. feels like some backhanded compliment sh.I.te

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.