'Lolita' of the 90's

pop analyst

'If Adrian Lyne’s Lolita became a case study of what Hollywood and America didn’t want to acknowledge about its ***ualization of young girls, as the 90s came to a close, the culture was full of “acceptable” depictions of teens in heat. Two hit films from 1998 and 1999, Wild Things and Cruel Intentions adapted classic templates of adult ***ual manipulation to turn teen girls into femme fatales (probably not coincidentally, both featured actresses Neve Campbell and Sarah Michelle Gellar, who were famous for playing high school students on TV). Also, no coincidence: these films entered the culture simultaneous to the debut of 17-year-old Britney Spears, whose videos and persona centered her status as “not a girl, not yet a woman.”

I  reccomend you to listed this post in its entirety but if you don't want to, listen from 40;43 onwards.

thank you for sharing this podcast! i listened to the britney part (im lazy sorry) and it dissected her image perfectly. i think part of her “downfall” and vicious hate she received (and still does to this day) is for the fact that she’s not jaibailt anymore. her first three eras were basically feeding off of that. she was “for kids” but grown men were a huge part of her audience even if it was only in the shadows. her management and jive profited of this forbidden fruit image. she was ***ualized but not allowed to freely express her ***uality. i mean even for ITZ era they were having her do interviews saying she only had s** with justin bc she thought he was “the one” and by then her songs were ***ually explicit. 

i’ve always thought that after she turned 20 they didn’t know how to market her anymore. she was no longer a teen and the eternal virgin thing got exposed by justin. if she were allowed to properly grow up as a person and an artist, things would’ve been 100% different.

Spoiler

english is not my first language sorry this is all over the place :orangu_orangutan_ape:

Edited by thesimplelife
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, thesimplelife said:

thank you for sharing this podcast! i listened to the britney part (im lazy sorry) and it dissected her image perfectly. i think part of her “downfall” and vicious hate she received (and still does to this day) is for the fact that she’s not jaibailt anymore. her first three eras were basically feeding off of that. she was “for kids” but grown men were a huge part of her audience even if it was only in the shadows. her management and jive profited of this forbidden fruit image. she was ***ualized but not allowed to freely express her ***uality. i mean even for ITZ era they were having her do interviews saying she only had s** with justin bc she thought he was “the one” and by then her songs were ***ually explicit. 

i’ve always thought that after she turned 20 they didn’t know how to market her anymore. she was no longer a teen and the eternal virgin thing got exposed by justin. if she were allowed to properly grow up as a person and an artist, things would’ve been 100% different.

Hide contents

english is not my first language sorry this is all over the place  is not my first language sorry this is all over the place :orangu_orangutan_ape:

Great comment.

¿Hablas español? Tenés muy buen inglés.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.