I Have A Bad Feeling About "Wonderwoman 1984"

ALBAVEASP

ww1984_0_thumb.jpg

"Wonderwoman 1984 cannot fail."

(five minutes read)

It is almost here. 

The favorite heroine in superhero universes will finally made her comeback this year's October 2th. Despite the release date being pushed back for three times now, Warner Bros. seemed to be confident by contending WW84 as one of the fall blockbusters, where it was originally dated to be release this summer. A new trailer arrived two weeks ago to hype up the anticipation of the 2017's sequel. And that's where the real problem came in.

Entertainment has one of the biggest loss throughout the COVID-19's outbreak, especially the accessibility of the movie-goers to the dying industry of cinema and theater. And as for the yearly Comic-Cons, most of the biggest announcements were instead shifted into streaming and social media services like what Warner Bros. did, as they called it DC FanDome.

DC FanDome broadcasted throughout the selected streaming sites where it made announcements for the upcoming movies, tv shows and games. This includes the follow-up teasing clip of last year's WW84 trailer. And by just judging the views and discussions compare to it's superhero-peers' trailers, it does not made much of the attention and loudness Gal Gadot's movie had from the first film. 

One of the biggest problem here is that other reveals like Robert Pattinson's Batman, Margot Robbie's newest Suicide Squad, Zack Snyder's Justice League Cut and Dwayne Johnson's Black Adam overshadowed the lady-hero.

The new trailer wasn't also impressive or did not even tried to match the good score of the first one, making it almost a dull spoiler. Though the intention to set up a new mood to reveal more of the seriousness and maintained heroism of Diana is understandable; the plot, character conflicts and reveals are too obvious especially how they successfully excites the blurry image of Cheetah.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRw3xNhm49f6RshHtj4MFF

To conclude these, I seriously admire the risk Warner Bros. is taking by releasing WW84 straight to the theaters. It will probably affect the performance of the film in box office as most people prefer now the streaming services, proper for the safety and health guidelines. And my prediction, it will certainly top the weekly gross ticket sales but not as overwhelming as it was before or in worst cases, only for one week and lucky enough if two weeks.

The idea of WW84 failing the ticket sales is just a minor issue for me. But the certainty of the impact and influence the first film has established in movie and pop culture is much of the my concern.

The 2017's prequel was too beloved and personally think one of the cheesiest yet inspiring superhero movie has ever made, regardless if you're a DC or Marvel fan. I just hoped that this new installment will continue breaking through the comic branding boundaries, because I will seriously take a risk, go out to the nearest theater and watch it.

What are your thoughts? Will you be watching when it comes out?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm a big fan of comics and superhero movies. But we are now at a point of over-saturation so its bound to take effect on newer releases.

Also i didn't think the first wonder woman movie was that good, i felt Captain Marvel was much better (but i do love Captain Marvel's character since 2010)

Archived