Why Were Britney’s Most Iconic Costumes Auctioned Off?

I’ve always had this one question in the back of my mind. She’s worn so many outfits throughout her career that looked beautiful on her, but aren’t great enough to archive, like her two ‘99 VMA’s carpet looks —those could’ve been auctioned off instead. Yes, it’s all a matter of opinion, but it really does bother me a little to know so many of her greatest pieces were just passed around to someone else, through an auction. It makes absolutely no sense to me. To clarify, I know the reason Britney auctioned them off, I just don’t know why she chose the her best ones.

Here’s the thing, Britney’s a prestige level popstar, & I think her costumes deserve to be properly exhibited in a museum, well taken care of. These garments are extremely iconic, & require special maintenance to preserve their best shape. If they’re exposed in the wrong conditions, or eventually toss from owner to owner, they’re going to end up looking terrible over time. You can’t put a price tag on such nostalgic, monumental ensembles — that’s just not how it works. It almost feels disrespectful to me as a fan, & maybe I’m being melodramatic, but it’s just never seemed right to me.

Here’s a photo of some of the costumes:

spacer.png

What are your thoughts on this?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.