No stars in the world could have disrupted their public image as much as Britney did and still be so idolized like her.

That's what has always struck me about Britney.  I've always compared her to Michael Jackson or Whitney. For me, Britney reached such a level in pop imagery, in iconism in general, the pinnacle of what we consider to be iconic, that despite the disruption of her image which can be seen as altered compared to the one she built in the early 2000s (although I personally believe the chaos of the Blackout era actually added depth to her work and overall image, but that's another discussion). no other artist in the world could have gone through all the upheavals in her life and still be seen as such an icon like her, so adored and revered. People wear her t-shirts like AC/DC. Michael Jackson managed it despite the tabloid press, and the same goes for Whitney. She can walk around in circles in her living room, and people might call her crazy, we can see that, but her music, her music videos, and her image remain. People are like "that's ok" that's Britney Spears and dance to toxic just after. We could mention Amy, but it cost her, her life. As for the rest, they had to go to great lengths to preserve their image, yet the obsession with them is not the same in my opinion. In a way, it's almost unfair to other celebrities like Christina or others, who put in so much effort for lesser results. This shows that Britney's immense success was not so much about her image but about the energy she exuded, that vitality and liberation, her uniqueness in a style pop that is otherwise so commercial. 2007 would have ended any other artist of her stature or led to their clinical death, but not her. Her music has become so classic that it even surpasses the concept of a pop song. Even for a big classical music fan like me, sometimes I don't see a difference between a Vivaldi composition and BOMT.  I mean She still managed, in the total chaos of 2007, with a music video so far below her previous ones, to create the best album of her career and ultimately the most provocative, liberating image. I think Gimme More, for example, will surpass Slave soon, if it hasn’t already, because Gimme More captured an era, a mood that is still very present today. Slave, which I love, remains iconic, but as an excellent urban song. No one in the street is going to say "I'm a slave for you" but "It's Britney, *****" of course they will.

britney-spears-gimme-more-video.gif?fit=

• Love 5

Britney Spears is often considered one of the greatest pop stars in recent history for several reasons:

1. Cultural Impact: Britney's debut with "...Baby One More Time" in 1999 defined an era of pop music, helping shape the late '90s and early 2000s sound. Her music, style, and performances influenced countless artists and cemented her as a pop culture icon.

2. Commercial Success: Britney has sold over 100 million records worldwide, making her one of the best-selling music artists of all time. Albums like Oops!... I Did It Again and Britney were massive hits, with singles that dominated charts.

3. Evolution as an Artist: Despite her early image as a teen pop star, Britney has shown artistic growth. Her albums explored different genres of pop, including elements of R&B, EDM, and even dubstep. Albums like In the Zone and Blackout are praised for their innovation.

4. Endurance in the Face of Challenges: Britney’s personal struggles were very public, yet her career has survived, demonstrating her resilience and the loyalty of her fanbase. Her comeback albums, like Circus, proved that she could return to the top of the charts.

5. Iconic Performances: Britney has delivered some of the most memorable performances in pop history. From her MTV VMAs appearances, like the 2001 "I'm a Slave 4 U" performance with a python, to her groundbreaking music videos, she defined what it means to be a performer.

6. Legacy and Influence: Britney opened doors for many of today’s pop stars, including Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, and Ariana Grande. Her influence on pop music, fashion, and even celebrity culture continues to be felt.

Her combination of massive commercial success, cultural relevance, and artistic influence makes her one of the defining pop stars of recent history.

• Love 4

spacer.png

So true.

Not many could survive what she’s survived, on both a professional and personal level. It kind of irks me when people compare her to other celebs, who seem to be thriving in their personal lives, because I don’t think they’ve been through a fragment of what Britney’s gone through. Decades of public scrutiny and trauma is not that easy to overcome. And while I obviously would never wish that on anyone, I do wonder how well their favs would be doing under similar circumstances.

Our girl is a FIGHTER. A SURVIVOR. A LEGEND, in every meaning of the word.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Agyness said:

It's true, look at you, you hate her so much, but you are here H24, the first one to comment, which shows how obsessed you are with her. 
:gelis_britney_candies_flirting_sexy:

Don’t hate her not every person who is here has to act the same. It’s a colorful world hun 

anywho why don’t u compare her to people who haven’t died from dr*g ADDICTION???

Whitney, Michael, Amy like this is the club u consider Britney to be in?? U foreshadowing somethin? That’s why I asked if u were smokin cuz all these people are DEAD and all had their careers derailed by addiction. All of these people made decisions that destroyed their careers like so ok yeah let’s celebrate what happened during that time where everything went off the rails 

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, LoveYourselfMas said:

Don’t hate her not every person who is here has to act the same. It’s a colorful world hun 

anywho why don’t u compare her to people who haven’t died from dr*g ADDICTION???

Whitney, Michael, Amy like this is the club u consider Britney to be in?? U foreshadowing somethin? That’s why I asked if u were smokin cuz all these people are DEAD and all had their careers derailed by addiction. All of these people made decisions that destroyed their careers like so ok yeah let’s celebrate what happened during that time where everything went off the rails 

I think he's refering to her personal life and struggles, they can only be compared to those people but what sets her from them is that she survived to tell her story. I bet they are rooting from heaven to her, what they couldn't do, she could.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, LoveYourselfMas said:

Shut up bro

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, warioaddams said:

I think he's refering to her personal life and struggles, they can only be compared to those people but what sets her from them is that she survived to tell her story. I bet they are rooting from heaven to her, what they couldn't do, she could.

beautifully said.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.