3 should have been as big as a hit as Scream & Shout

I think it actually did better than what I could've imagined. 

Tbh I'm not a huge fan of the video. I think it's just ok, but nothing spectacular or memorable, especially for the general public, and especially compared to all her previous videos.

And especially at a time when Lady Gaga was starting to introduce the public to her weird and shocking outfits. 

If it had a video with a storyline, several iconic looks, maybe some live performances that could leave a long lasting impression, it would've done better. 

But as I said, it actually did pretty good for what it was. Here in Latin America it appeared on the MTV yearly Top 100 both in 2009 and 2010. I also remember hearing it all the time at random public places. 

• Love 1
  • Super Mods

I agree, S&S is literally one of the worst, most generic songs Britney was ever involved with. I hated it then, I hate it now. I'm not one bit surprised basic white public ate it up, it's the music they live for, generic, bland, with 0 artistry in it.

3 is far more superior, the lyrics, the electronic beat, Britney being tossed around between multiple men in the music video. The way the video was filmed, chaotic angles, etc. is serving.

I still listen to 3 to this day, I never listen to S&S, although obviously I'm very happy it was a massive global hit for Britney.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Scent_Off110Flowers.. said:

kinda was a big hit but should have been even bigger

AGREE?

totally underrated 2023+ and so on!

Ugh, I can't stand 3. Everything about it is awful. It's one of the songs she could happily remove from her discography, along with Pretty Girls and Britney Jean.

3 is a fun song to sing in the car in the summer, and it was a big hit, but it just doesn't feel like a Britney song to me. It was following all the trends of the time sonically, and it just felt like it was thrown together with a three-way reference to make it controversial and a hit. :receipts2_britney_um_browsing_browse:

• Love 1
13 hours ago, watts3 said:

"3" debuted at #1, SS peaked at #3 on BB....

1 hour ago, PlatinumB said:

Didn't '3' go number 1? Scream and Shout didn't and it had a remix version with a video...:bedtime_britney_book_Reading:

When will people learn that one week at #1 spot at BB Hot100 doesn't mean anything?

3 debuted (and peaked) at #2 worldwide (if you include the whole world, not just US) and shortly after dissapeared from the chart, while SS peaked at #1 for three weeks while also spending much longer time on the chart. 

Also if you look at sales and even YT numbers/Spotify streams, SS was a waaaaaay bigger hit lol

9 minutes ago, Lil-Jay said:

When will people learn that one week at #1 spot at BB Hot100 doesn't mean anything?

3 debuted (and peaked) at #2 worldwide (if you include the whole world, not just US) and shortly after dissapeared from the chart, while SS peaked at #1 for three weeks while also spending much longer time on the chart. 

Also if you look at sales and even YT numbers/Spotify streams, SS was a waaaaaay bigger hit lol

A number 1 song doesn't mean anything? :ririshade1_rihanna_annoyed_window_bye_irritated_mad_black: I get that S&S had longevity it's a fun track and remember it being a big hit in the UK also. 3 was released just for her singles collection so it did really well considering. :bedtime_britney_book_Reading:

No :nonono_britney_nope_head_shake:

Is out dated and not really that good, plus I dont like Britney singing about threesomes, nothing against them I enjoy them!, but it doesn't feel genuine. Plus makes it even more weird she sang this song when she was under her father control. It's just weird. And I dont think she likes it , like wasnt around that time that she was saying she is a mom and wanted to tone down her image for the children?

Scream & Shout is far from being one of my favorites but it's catchy and the public adore it! Everytime I go out to the club that song is always playing! Always! and people love it!.

Ps. Im from LATAM, so that user that says only white people like the song is totally wrong. Im so tired of this race thing, Americans are so obsessed with it.

Edited by J45x
17 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

nd especially at a time when Lady Gaga was starting to introduce the public to her weird and shocking outfits. 

And this to me is why she became as big as she did. No one one doing what she was in terms of “fashion” at that time. 

1 minute ago, SJK said:

And this to me is why she became as big as she did. No one one doing what she was in terms of “fashion” at that time. 

Yes. Probably only Bjork had done it before, but Gaga was much more exaggerated and committed to it, to even the minor appearance. 

I actually preferred that Lady Gaga, whether it was a character or not.

However, I do think she overdid it in a very short period of time. By the BTW era she was already doing these over the top things. I always remember telling my best friend that it'd come a day when she would either run out of ideas, or she'd pull a stint that she wouldn't be able to surpass, or nothing would be shocking from her anymore, that the new "weird" for her would be to appear wearing normal clothes in a music video or performance or a cute fancy dress at a red carpet. 

When Perfect Illusion came out I was just like :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

Again, I'm not a stan of Gaga, so I don't really know much about what was all that about, and her fans would probably tell me there's some sentimental reason behind it, and that she's grown out of it now, or whatever, but I really preferred that eccentric persona she used to show.

But her latest attempts at doing weird stuff like that, like the Chromatica era and so, it just didn't feel authentic anymore. It's too late now.

And going back to my original point, I really think we owe Gaga the fact that in the past decade or so, in terms of pop culture and such, nothing surprises us anymore when it comes to outfits or performances or music videos, because we were overexposed to so much from Gaga in a couple of years that we became desensitized to everything that came after. The public went from being scandalized by a school uniform in a video or a nude suit at the VMAs to not being moved by anything in a matter of years, thanks to her. 

By the time people were trying to jump on this train, we were all just like :boredney_britney_2015_annoyed_eyeroll_hair: Like, remember the 2011 vmas when other artists appeared wearing outfits like these

122732928.jpg?w=688  5527699.jpg

2011-VMAs-Katy.jpg

Had Gaga been more careful and selective with her performances and appearances, or if she dosed her level of eccentricity instead of going from 0 to 1000 in two years, she could've milked this persona for far longer and she could've even become a trendsetter if other artists slowly joined her, normalizing this trend of creating bizarre looks in pop music. Maybe it would've become normal for even common people like us to wear weird accessories or hairdos, and the 2010's would've been remembered for this own unique aesthetic like the 80's or 70's are remembered, instead of the boring hipster fashion + bad copy from the 90's that ended up being. 

But I digress. I'm happy for her if she likes whatever she's doing now, but I haven't been interested in anything that Gaga has put out since Artpop :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink:  And I do believe she took away the chance for other artists to make an impact in terms of visuals, the so called "iconic" outfits and videos like the ones that helped Britney's early hits. The pop scene became so boring because there was no point in trying to outdo that crazy stuff Gaga was doing. Everything has been so forgettable because there isn't that wow factor anymore. 

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block