The Idol and Britney's life similarities

Hi guys! I just finished watching the first episode for The Idol and I RAN to this forum to talk about it's similarities to Britney's life and career... and found out this topic wasn't created so I created it myself!

We already knew from the trailer that they were taking inspiration from Britney to create the character of Jocelyn... but I think it goes beyond that!

Sure, the show itself is a bit boring and a bit too s3xual explicit for my taste :ugh_britney_disgust_gross_ew: BUT i think it makes a good point about Britney's Jocelyn's autonomy and freedom while being one of the most iconic pop stars in the planet.

See, during the whole episode Jocelyn is portrayed as this huge pop star who's been through a lot and now is kind of "forced" by the label to continue working and release music even tho she feels miserable, so she 'rebels' through partying and s3x. it really reminded me of two points in Britney's career - the first one being 2003, when she changed her innocent image completely and started going out after the break up with JT, and, of course, 2007, when all she was doing was having fun with her friends as a 26 year old but the world treated her like she was the Devil basically. 

This show really highlights the little to no control or say pop stars have over their careers and lives, and how by "losing control" they're able to regain control a little. IDK, I thought it was an interesting point. What do you guys think? Have you seen the show? Did it remind you of B?

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

I can't wait to watch this show even though the reviews are terrible. 

I haven't seen it so I can't comment on that. But I know part of it was inspired by Kesha too. On the show there was a scandal with images of the pop star covered in ***** (man juice) leaking to the public. This actually happened to Kesha in real life.

Edited by BritneyWiki
  • Like 1

Yes, there are clear indications that Britney was part inspiration for the show. It's interesting that it's being reviewed so negatively, and I believe that it's because the show is literally holding a mirror up to the dark, real side of the industry that they don't want us to see/know about. When Jocelyn had her little speech about not wanting to make a fool out of herself and prove people right (that she's a joke) that she didn't want them to make fun of her— that felt like it came directly from Britney. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, easy said:

Yes, there are clear indications that Britney was part inspiration for the show. It's interesting that it's being reviewed so negatively, and I believe that it's because the show is literally holding a mirror up to the dark, real side of the industry that they don't want us to see/know about. When Jocelyn had her little speech about not wanting to make a fool out of herself and prove people right (that she's a joke) that she didn't want them to make fun of her— that felt like it came directly from Britney. 

MTE! that part was totally something Britney would say!

i also believe part of the negative reviews come from ppl who found the show a bit misogynistic - and I agree. I mean, Jocelyn talks about having fantasies of being r-ped which is disgusting, and the whole show seems like an excuse to see lilly rose naked.

but yeah, it also highlights the dark truth about the music business and i guess a lot of ppl choose to turn a blind eye to that.

• Like 1

The first episode was a mess. Did we really have to watch that dance scene like 100 times? It wasn’t even good. The directing is horrible, every single scene feels like it’s dragging on forever. Not to mention all the unnecessary nudity. I know the show comes from the creators of “Euphoria”, which is why my expectations were high, but I am not sure I’ll be watching again. 

• Love 2

I wanted to like this show but wow is it a mess. 

They do mention Britney in one of the scenes. They don’t say her last name but they are definitely talking about her.

It definitely feels Britney inspired and knowing she met with the weeknd I feel she definitely had input. 

The writing is a bit over kill and the scenes linger on too long. It’s only one episode in but I don’t see this show making it to a second season. 

• Love 2

I’m kinda loving the show so far not gonna lie. People that are bashing it never listened to The Weeknd’s music cause like, what did you expect?

Its very heavily Britney influenced. I like how they captured the feeling of being the center of attention, yet having no control. Everybody is talking about you but nobody is talking TO you. I can definitely see Britney having her input on this. 
And I’m a freaky bih so I’m not clutching my pearls when it comes to the spicy scenes :groovin_dance_clap_alien_monster_party_costume_Halloween_spooky_scary:

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ovoxo said:

Its very heavily Britney influenced. I like how they captured the feeling of being the center of attention, yet having no control. Everybody is talking about you but nobody is talking TO you. I can definitely see Britney having her input on this. 

exactly! it's so bizarre to see a wealthy woman who is a global phenomenon being so powerless at the same time. no wonder britney was fed up during ITZ and wanted to free herself from her management team and her label.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block