“The Little Mermaid” - decent domestic but an international box office disaster

2 hours ago, Alphabet Boy said:

It's doing just fine at the box office. What were they expecting... Star Wars or MCU numbers? Lol please. 

Honey its doing Dumbo numbers overseas.

A lot of people think that mermaids are bougie and keep their hair on point when in fact they probably smell like seaweed and have messy hair because water. Not saying Halle or her character is any of these things but people's notion of mermaids are far from the truth (if mermaids existed). They need to accept that diversity exists and just enjoy the movie. Honestly I don't see anyone else doing the part of Ariel other than Halle. Not only does she do a better vocal performance than Jodi Benson, but it feels like the animated Ariel embodies many of the characteristics of Halle but better.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Rik vs Exhale said:

I feel like the people involved in this film don’t care about box office. It’s not a flop at all lol, it’s the #1 movie in the world globally, and is the first live action adaption of a Disney film to star a Black actress in the lead. This is history.

You think a Disney movie cares about black people, but not making the box office? lol

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Rik vs Exhale said:

I feel like the people involved in this film don’t care about box office. It’s not a flop at all lol, it’s the #1 movie in the world globally, and is the first live action adaption of a Disney film to star a Black actress in the lead. This is history.

Which would probably cause industry to have a second thought before cast POC as lead in the future.

• Like 1

If it’s the #1 movie, sales don’t matter. We’re in a post Covid world where people would rather stay home and Netflix than go to a theatre and spend an excessive amount of money (because most of us don’t have that kind of money now with inflation burning through our wallets.) 

less people can afford the theatre experience now…  unless it’s something I’ve been waiting YEARS to see in anticipation, you probably won’t catch me there. 

Disney knows this and still took the risk. 

Point being, if it’s the number one movie, it’s doing well and won the popularity contest. Lol. And if you’re wondering, I think it’s amazing and about damn time. :nysassy_miss_ny_ms_new_york_tiffany_pollard_cigarette_smoke_nod:

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, nux1989 said:

Which would probably cause industry to have a second thought before cast POC as lead in the future.

How, it’s literally #1 globally lol

3 minutes ago, Aymama said:

If it’s the #1 movie, sales don’t matter. We’re in a post Covid world where people would rather stay home and Netflix than go to a theatre and spend an excessive amount of money (because most of us don’t have that kind of money now with inflation burning through our wallets.) 

less people can afford the theatre experience now…  unless it’s something I’ve been waiting YEARS to see in anticipation, you probably won’t catch me there. 

Disney knows this and still took the risk. 

Point being, if it’s the number one movie, it’s doing well and won the popularity contest. Lol. And if you’re wondering, I think it’s amazing and about damn time. :nysassy_miss_ny_ms_new_york_tiffany_pollard_cigarette_smoke_nod:

:tired_so_there_head_tilt_annoyed_see_rose_mcgowan: yup I agree

It had a decent release week start in US, but I doubt it will hit its break even of around 625-750m (industry standard is around 2.5x to 3x of budget). Being #1 movie is cool, but it is a Disney movie. Even John Carter was #1 on its release day but ended up being the biggest box office bomb of all time. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, AndyFoster said:

It cost 250 to make add an extra 100 for marketing. It’s at 168 and has only been out for 3 days.

It will do MORE than break even!!

It cost $250mill to make, movie theaters keep 40-50% of ticket sales so that instantly brings the production costs up to $500mill, add in another $150mill marketing and advertising. It needs to make about $700 million to be deemed ok profit wise. It’ll struggle to get to $600million.

Source: 

The-Little-Mermaid-Movie.webp
WWW.THEFILMIK.COM

Disney's The Little Mermaid Budget: "The Little Mermaid" is a high-budget production, and The Walt Disney...

It’s going to drop about 60% domestically next week and it’s all but out of the international running over the next 1-2 weeks. 

It's not doing well overseas because of Racism. Specially in China, Korea, Japan, India and these are just some of the largest highly commercialized countries when it comes to movies. Disney's lame attempt to make Ariel more blue (and even close to white) in the China poster is an indirect admission about racism issues.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, KrisJ said:

What a take…

The entire point of making a movie, marketing it and releasing it is to make a profit. Especially for a company like Disney. This isn’t a charity show. Nobody wants to put out a product and not care about making money :mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green:

They will literally add it to streaming in three months. Cool your bridges.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block