Artist(s) that you simultaneously respect and dislike

I know it may seem weird at the first glance to simultaneously respect and hate an artist, but I'm 99.9% sure we all have this kind of artist.

For me, it's gotta be Ms. Taylor Swift. I admire her business sense and how clever she is to maximize her profit and chart success, but, at the same time, I dislike it as it seems so forced. I came to that conclusion after listening to Karma Remix with Pumpki... I mean Ice Spice. The combination of them two seems so random to me and despite Taylor claiming she had been working on that remix with Ice WAAAAAYYYYY before she hit it big on the charts, i don't really believe it. Furthermore, I'm amazed by how well she taps into the current trends and how she manages to retain her artistic identity within them, but, once again, it annoys me like hell at the same and makes her look desperate in my eyes.

So tell me your artist(s) that you simultaneously respect and hate and why. I'm curious to read your opinions.

Edited by biczzxangel
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

I don't really hate anyone, I'm simply not bothered by those I don't like.

But as a Britney fan I do hate, in general, the fact that pop artists that came after Britney, had it much easier than Britney, in a lot of aspects.

Britney, despite all the fame and success she had, she also had a lot of detractors and people that mocked her or her music, or you know, I don't even have to mention how the media treated her, and that's without counting what her family did to her.

I mean, I know there's a lot of factors that come into play and we'll never know where her career would've gone to if it wasn't for the conservatorship, but it seems like she came out at this weird moment in time where at the beginning she was seen as too young to be recognized as a true artist, but then by the time the digital era came, she was seen as this old *** act that didn't have a place among younger/newer acts.

There seems to be a resurgence and a slight shift regarding how people see her as an artist and her music nowadays, especially after the FreeBritney movement, but even if her Spotify numbers are doing great now, I feel like they should be way higher, at the very least, everything from Circus onwards.

Like if you see the Youtube numbers of Rihanna, Katy Perry, Gaga, Taylor, etc, Britney should be at that level or even higher, everything from Womanizer on. So, I respect those other singers even if I'm not a diehard fan, they're doing their thing so good for them, I just hate that they never had to endure what Britney did, and again, leaving the personal stuff aside, the cship and so, which of course had a lot to do with her career, but they never had the amount of scrutiny or criticism, career-wise, that Britney did.

I'm glad that nowadays, older videos like Toxic, BOMT, Oops are the most watched on her channel, but they only increased their views around 2015. They should've always received that amount of views since the beginning. Or, in the other hand, the videos that used to be her most watched, like I Wanna Go, TTWE, WB, Womanizer, etc, don't get as many views anymore, when they should be at least at the same numbers as Scream & Shout.

So I don't know, it's this feeling of unfairness towards Britney that will always make me give the side eye to all the artists that came after or during the rise of the digital era.

• Love 2
  • Like 2
Just now, PokemonSpears said:

I don't really hate anyone, I'm simply not bothered by those I don't like.

But as a Britney fan I do hate, in general, the fact that pop artists that came after Britney, had it much easier than Britney, in a lot of aspects.

Britney, despite all the fame and success she had, she also had a lot of detractors and people that mocked her or her music, or you know, I don't even have to mention how the media treated her, and that's without counting what her family did to her.

I mean, I know there's a lot of factors that come into play and we'll never know where her career would've gone to if it wasn't for the conservatorship, but it seems like she came out at this weird moment in time where at the beginning she was seen as too young to be recognized as a true artist, but then by the time the digital era came, she was seen as this old *** act that didn't have a place among younger/newer acts.

There seems to be a resurgence and a slight shift regarding how people see her as an artist and her music nowadays, especially after the FreeBritney movement, but even if her Spotify numbers are doing great now, I feel like they should be way higher, at the very least, everything from Circus onwards.

Like if you see the Youtube numbers of Rihanna, Katy Perry, Gaga, Taylor, etc, Britney should be at that level or even higher, everything from Womanizer on. So, I respect those other singers even if I'm not a diehard fan, they're doing their thing so good for them, I just hate that they never had to endure what Britney did, and again, leaving the personal stuff aside, the cship and so, which of course had a lot to do with her career, but they never had the amount of scrutiny or criticism, career-wise, that Britney did.

I'm glad that nowadays, older videos like Toxic, BOMT, Oops are the most watched on her channel, but they only increased their views around 2015. They should've always received that amount of views since the beginning. Or, in the other hand, the videos that used to be her most watched, like I Wanna Go, TTWE, WB, Womanizer, etc, don't get as many views anymore, when they should be at least at the same numbers as Scream & Shout.

So I don't know, it's this feeling of unfairness towards Britney that will always make me give the side eye to all the artists that came after or during the rise of the digital era.

I appreciate how respectful and indepth your comment is. And yes, to clarify, i do not hate any artist (Taylor included). It's just that sometimes we look at some artists and, despite appreciating then and even supporting them, we have a hard time not to pinpoint things that we dislike about them or annoy us. I know that nowadays, in this age when poptimism has largely changed into cheering on your favs, it's hard to be objective and critical of them, even when there are some obvious flaws and issues, but I try to stay as open-minded as possible. We're all Britney fans here, but being a fan doesn't mean we ignore or turn the blind eye to all the negative or annoying aspects of hers... She (as well as all the other celebs) is a human so it's natural she has things that may annoy us in her and we may dislike in her.

@biczzxangel ok first of all I really liked your sense of humor. 
I see your points. What I just never get is that people here go rabid over someone being on top of her game to get money because, well, it’s a business! Taylor and her team are savvy and we cannot argue against that. Plus, Taylor loooooves her craft and honors it. Now, if she is releasing too much or something is not of your likes, don’t consume it and that’s it. 
I certainly believe that many in this forum are plainly jealous of Taylor’s success, of how consistent she is with her releases, and the connection she has with the fans. We all wish Britney gave us something. But as much as we all miss it, right now she is in a different space and we should respect that. 

Now, replying to your topic: 

Adele. Her talent and charisma are undeniable. She lets her craft brew and it doesn’t matter if she takes really long gaps in between. However, most of her catalogue is just not for me. ‘Easy on Me’, in my opinion, was successful because of the hype, not because it is a good song (for example, as annoyed as I got by ‘Hello’, the song is unique and it deserved all its success).

Bebe Rexha. I find her voice quite uncomfortable (I love ‘In the Name of Love, though). Nonetheless, she seems to he a hardworking woman who doesn’t give up in spite of how fluctuating her success is. 

Ariana Grande and Doja Cat: I love their music and I am impressed by their talent. For me it’s just unacceptable how disrespectful they come out as they bash their own music. Artists are allowed to grow weary of their own songs, but fans deserve to find out in a more gracious way. Ari confirmed her horrible taste when she called ‘Touch It’ boring, I mean, woman please (and I bet she loves ‘Positions’)… learn to recognize good music. Doja, saying her fans were fooled because of those two records she called cash grab. Not nice. 

Maroon 5, Imagine Dragons, OneRepublic: loved them at the beginning of their career, thoroughly dislike what they’ve been doing recently. But hey, it’s a business. 

• Love 2

Main one for me is Madonna. i respect what shes achieved and like a lot of her old music, but i think her attitude is disgusting and hate how she treats everyone around her as beneath her and treats her fans like ****. i remember seeing a video from years ago where a fan gave her hydrangeas and she was polite and said thank you but then turned to someone next to her pulled a face and went 'i just loathe hydrangeas , he obviously doesnt know that'. and i just thought how rude. and the whole being 3 hours late then saying 'the queen is never late' i just thought you need a slap hun. i do like Madonna and ive seen her twice live and i know shes done a lot of work helping children in Africa so i dont think shes all bad, i just think someone needs to knock her down a peg or two. if you look at cher, i absolutely love cher because yes shes a megastar but shes always nice and polite to her fans, shes a bit sarcastic with interviewers but its always in a joking fun way and you never feel like she thinks shes above everyone

• Love 4
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

Same here.  I have a love/hate relationship with Taylor Swift.  I respect her business sense.  However, she is not one of the greatest songwriters ever.  Maybe her old stuff, but the new songs are crap with cheap lyrics etc.  It all feels like a cash grab with her.

Literally, it feels like she's trying to make her fan base go broke.

• Love 2

I pretty much agree with what u wrote. I like me so Ms. Tay Tay and at the same time, I find her annoying af. Her calculating easter eggs and whatever she does is probably calculated to the core, so on the one hand, I respect her af as a business woman who literally raised from the ashes (after Kimye drama). Yet on the other hand, I find her totally annoying with her calculation, easter eggs and that she to this day uses her dumb blond persona, when in fact, we know she isn't :mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green:

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Bey for the most part. She's had a long career and many bops, but the media treat her like she's the new MJ even though she's fake and steals songwriting credits, and can't come up with an original idea to save her life. :beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching: She's a good singer and dancer though. :tysm_beyonce_thanks_wow_gratitude_love_you_ily:

Also Madonna since she's the Queen of Pop so by default she deserves respect, but she's a pretty terrible person who has little talent and mostly got where she was by being controversial, relentless, and working with producers who were ahead of the curve. But we stan Vogue and Hung Up. :madance_madonna_dancing_party_bw_black_white:

• Love 3
11 hours ago, biczzxangel said:

I know it may seem weird at the first glance to simultaneously respect and hate an artist, but I'm 99.9% sure we all have this kind of artist.

For me, it's gotta be Ms. Taylor Swift. I admire her business sense and how clever she is to maximize her profit and chart success, but, at the same time, I dislike it as it seems so forced. I came to that conclusion after listening to Karma Remix with Pumpki... I mean Ice Spice. The combination of them two seems so random to me and despite Taylor claiming she had been working on that remix with Ice WAAAAAYYYYY before she hit it big on the charts, i don't really believe it. Furthermore, I'm amazed by how well she taps into the current trends and how she manages to retain her artistic identity within them, but, once again, it annoys me like hell at the same and makes her look desperate in my eyes.

So tell me your artist(s) that you simultaneously respect and hate and why. I'm curious to read your opinions.

I agreed. I like her first 3 records (looking forward for rerecords of them), she is good songwriter.... but from other hand she is fake as titş, her personality is fake and she is so plastic and flat inside. She has no empathy and humanity inside. That's because of her childhood and because she is living in her bubble.

Also she likes to seek attention with million ways and she literally ended her relationship just because she was bored of him, and was thirsty for attention of fans and writing songs about her BF, and "singing" in front of million people. Shell never be Britney, cuz Britney is singing, but she is TALKING.

Edited by Flavor Of Love
  • Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block