Disney’s “THE LITTLE MERMAID” is OUT NOW!

I enjoyed the music aand Halle’s voice was truly of a siren.

I have my reservations though, (spoilers ahead) the movie was too dark and the details and environments were not given a fair chance to justify the big budget. There were so many closeups on halle’s face that were not necessary but I guess because she lost her voice they had to give enough time to show her facial expressions. I think his could’ve been excited better. The bright scenes were just in the castle 5 min in the beginning  in g and 5 min at the end, in addition to very few other scenes.

11 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

Yes! I absolutely HATED the casting of Sebastian, but after seeing the film- he was one of my favorite characters. He and Akwafina provided the most laughs for me. The film was way more comedic than I anticipated.

I’m on the fence of the casting of Prince Eric. Although his chemistry with Ariel played genuine in the film, his overall x-factor/ star power didn’t live up to Halle Bailey. I would’ve liked a stronger presence in a partner, but overall though, he did well.

I wish they would’ve played up more of the father/daughter relationship that the original animated version did. It seemed scarce in this version. There’s a part I won’t spoil, that was super unexpected and tragic and it didn’t have the weight as it should have because we didn’t see enough Triton and Ariel moments prior. She was a family girl in the animated version and in this version she seemed so distant from her father and sisters.

I wish the final showdown with Ursula would’ve been longer and that the CGI version of a giant Ursula looked better. 

Overall, I liked it a lot. I’m not sure if I prefer this version over the animated (like i said before, I usually like the originals over the live adaptations). This was really well done. The CGI was better than I anticipated; wonky sometimes but mostly great! Soundtrack was great- I only disliked Prince Eric’s song. He technically can sing but his singing voice is bland. Like Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia. We hear the vibrato, the pitch is there but just so bland with no emotion. The editing and transitions weren’t always good, but the actors did great. Melissa McCarthy surprised me. She pulled off sinister, diabolical and vengeful sooo well! Even the actress that played Vanessa (Ursula in disguise), was great. It was refreshing to have a live action Disney film show the villain being so unhinged and almost just mad! Y’all I recommend seeing it in theaters. It’s an overall good film that’s not as “woke” as the media is portraying it. It’s just a deeper dive into the mindset of the OG cartoon. 

Oh wow!!! I was easily pleased i guess 😬😂🤣 Jonah was actually outstanding to me! I really felt his magic on the big screen! It was all in his eyes... His emotions communicated to me a lot ! His character is a young 21 year old Prince having pure intentions for his land so I wasn't looking for a strong manly stature yet. Though he did not actually have a great "singer" voice to me, his song broke my heart so hard i actually sobbed 😭😭😭

Now that you mentioned it, yes I realize the father-daughter backstory were kinda missing. Their story started with minor conflicts already but Javier's portrayal of King Triton was very fatherly and loving, just like in the original. Melissa has a very powerful command but she lacks facial expressions. They made her beautiful but I was actually expecting her to be scary. The alter-ego Vanessa was very effective 👏👏👏👏 And yeah, the Giant Ursula ---- meh.

There is no sunlight hundred feet underwater so to me, it was murky for the right reasons. But the footages we've seen in the trailer where everyone was complaining, is NOTHING compared to how we see it in big screen 😂😂😂 I used to complain it lacked vibrance but those clips were soooo beautiful to me in the big screen.

Can't wait to watch it in 4DX tonight!!!

Edited by britbritlove
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, GlitterRain said:

The fact that we didn’t get a wedding dress and got the final dress that we got. I- :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

also how tf Vanessa was wearing the same tired *** gown she wore on the beach to the engagement party at the palace?

:byesmoke_tiffany_miss_ms_ny_new_york_sitting_smoking_cigarette:

I was expecting at least two gowns for her, as in the cartoon she actually had three looks. I guess the costume budget was tight. 

• Super Mods
Just now, bbbsss said:

also how tf Vanessa was wearing the same tired *** gown she wore on the beach to the engagement party at the palace?

:byesmoke_tiffany_miss_ms_ny_new_york_sitting_smoking_cigarette:

I was expecting at least two gowns for her, as in the cartoon she actually had three looks. I guess the costume budget was tight. 

Ya the dresses were a mess :nysassy_miss_ny_ms_new_york_tiffany_pollard_cigarette_smoke_nod:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, britbritlove said:

Oh wow!!! I was easily pleased i guess 😬😂🤣 Jonah was actually outstanding to me! I really felt his magic on the big screen! It was all in his eyes... His emotions communicated to me a lot ! His character is a young 21 year old Prince having pure intentions for his land so I wasn't looking for a strong manly stature yet. Though he did not actually have a great "singer" voice to me, his song broke my heart so hard i actually sobbed 😭😭😭

Now that you mentioned it, yes I realize the father-daughter backstory were kinda missing. Their story started with minor conflicts already but Javier's portrayal of King Triton was very fatherly and loving, just like in the original. Melissa has a very powerful command but she lacks facial expressions. They made her beautiful but I was actually expecting her to be scary. The alter-ego Vanessa was very effective 👏👏👏👏 And yeah, the Giant Ursula ---- meh.

There is no sunlight hundred feet underwater so to me, it was murky for the right reasons. But the footages we've seen in the trailer where everyone was complaining, is NOTHING compared to how we see it in big screen 😂😂😂 I used to complain it lacked vibrance but those clips were soooo beautiful to me in the big screen.

Can't wait to watch it in 4DX tonight!!!

Oooh give a review if 4DX improved the experience! 

To think that Harry Styles was originally cast as Prince Eric, besides his singing voice, I don’t think he’d be a good pick after seeing the film. I’m pleased with Jonah’s performance. Thinking back now, I think he was perfect for the role, considering this version of Eric, he was adopted at an older age in life, and he has imposter syndrome. He mentions how he wasn’t born into that world and feels like an outsider. I think Jonah portraying him in a more insecure, unguarded manner works, as opposed to a confident, strong, assertive man. But I still maintain I didn’t care much for his singing voice :embarrassed_britney_2007_red_hide_ashamed_cover:

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

Oooh give a review if 4DX improved the experience! 

To think that Harry Styles was originally cast as Prince Eric, besides his singing voice, I don’t think he’d be a good pick after seeing the film. I’m pleased with Jonah’s performance. Thinking back now, I think he was perfect for the role, considering this version of Eric, he was adopted at an older age in life, and he has imposter syndrome. He mentions how he wasn’t born into that world and feels like an outsider. I think Jonah portraying him in a more insecure, unguarded manner works, as opposed to a confident, strong, assertive man. But I still maintain I didn’t care much for his singing voice :embarrassed_britney_2007_red_hide_ashamed_cover:

MY 4DX EXPERIENCE WAS A BIT MESSY! 😤 Someone beside me spilled his drinks and tacos on me so i was very annoyed 🤬🤬🤬

But it made the movie more magical. The fireworks were stunning I have to say and I was very immersed in the "Kiss The Girl". All the underwater scenes were surreal and everything was poppingggg! Though i was soaking wet already (thanks to the cola spilt 🙄), it got really cold and weird during the most of Ursula scenes which I also didn't appreciate.

I'm not sure about Harry Styles as the prince though. Vocal wise im sure he will nail it. It's the acting i am apprehensive about. Though Jonah's vocals weren't the best, I still sobbed watching him deliver the song for the second time 😭 It's weird because I never really liked him being casted as the prince, but Jonah’s delivery as the Prince grew in me.

Overall, it's still a better experience than IMAX and you will appreciate the movie even moooore!! (just please for the 4DX movie goers, finish your food before entering the cinema. lol)

Edited by britbritlove
  • Love 1

I generally liked it. I would have liked to see more parts of the original put in this version. Even the camera work in the original was better if that makes sense. A lot of scenes were much more intense and fun in the original like Poor Unfortunate Souls, Under The Sea, and the fight scene. I do like Melissa's rendition of PUS but Paty made it feel more urgent. Melissa made it feel more like a soap opera/theater play. There were some parts that felt boring because they really sucked all the fun out of this one to show us biology and real world scenarios. I didn't like her dress. It looked too frumpy on her and the headband looked like you could get it from target. I enjoyed the acting but the girl who played Vanessa was like 'hold my drink.' Might I say she was better than the original character. There were some lines that I would have tweaked but overall it was enjoyable.

• Love 1

I loved it! The visuals were WAY better than what I saw initially for this movie. They were stunning!

At first, I thought Ariel initially came across as this crack-obsessed chick that would randomly belt out tunes out of nowhere as she's stalking a man, but when she became human, I absolutely loved their chemistry. I actually loved some of the changes in the movie. I thought their connection was very genuine and earnest. :makeitrain_britney_blush_headphones_omg_wow_happy:

I would say I loved it as on par with the original, which I couldn't say for the other live-action movies I watched. I can't wait to watch it on Disney+

I watched it over the weekend and I absolutely loved it!

Halle Bailey was superb in the movie, I didn't care at all that she's not like what the animated film supposed to be. She captured the essence of Ariel perfectly!

Jessica Alexander as Vanessa was so good even though she's like barely in for 5 minutes. lol.

• Love 2

Saw it 3 times already and the movie is better after each screening. I love the visuals and I am hypnotized by her hair underwater.. the way it floats is amazing! I rewatched the animated one yesterday and I actually agree with the director to cut the daughters of triton song and les poisoness - it just din't suit this version of the movie.

Loved the connection between Ariel and Eric and how similar their lives were.

The only thing I disliked is the Scuttlebut song - it's so annoying and out of place.. I appreciate Miranda's talents but his constant need to add rap to all songs is annoying as hell..

If anyone is still on the fence on whether to see this movie or not, go see it! Ad campaign didn't do this move justice. It is a really great movie that adds more depth to the original version :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink:

And yes, Halle was a perfect choice to play Ariel. She embodies all her traits!! :bow_bowing_orange:

Edited by Prince Ali
  • Like 1

This film was so good! Please go and see it! Halle really did that! I was initially skeptical, but she embodied the character and spirit of Ariel to the T! Her smile, her mannerism, her hair and her EVERYTHING! Wow, so many people were clapping in the cinema after 'Part of Your World' I was teary eyed during it. :kyliecry_crying_tears_jenner_wipe_sad: Ursula was so devilishly charismatic! Melissa smashed it! Prince Eric was also fantastic. The chemistry between Ariel and Eric was so cute!  If you can, go see it. GO! I promise you won't regret it especially if you loved the original. It truly respected it whilst giving it a fresh update 

:praisega_gaga_amazing_brilliant_show_stopping_showstopping_sunglasses_incredible_yas_Yes::praisega_gaga_amazing_brilliant_show_stopping_showstopping_sunglasses_incredible_yas_Yes::praisega_gaga_amazing_brilliant_show_stopping_showstopping_sunglasses_incredible_yas_Yes::praisega_gaga_amazing_brilliant_show_stopping_showstopping_sunglasses_incredible_yas_Yes:/5

Edited by PlatinumB
  • Love 4

I want to see it again this weekend! I was supposed to take my nieces to see it but one got sick and I ain’t trying to get sick :nysassy_miss_ny_ms_new_york_tiffany_pollard_cigarette_smoke_nod:

And I’m not the kind of person who can go to the movies alone. I did once when I was in a bad place in life and watched A Star Is Born at a 10am showing with a bunch of elderly people. I was truly at a low. 

Edited by MikeHunt
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Prince Ali said:

Saw it 3 times already and the movie is better after each screening. I love the visuals and I am hypnotized by her hair underwater.. the way it floats is amazing! I rewatched the animated one yesterday and I actually agree with the director to cut the daughters of triton song and les poisoness - it just din't suit this version of the movie.

Loved the connection between Ariel and Eric and how similar their lives were.

The only thing I disliked is the Scuttlebut song - it's so annoying and out of place.. I appreciate Miranda's talents but his constant need to add rap to all songs is annoying as hell..

If anyone is still on the fence on whether to see this movie or not, go see it! Ad campaign didn't do this move justice. It is a really great movie that adds more depth to the original version :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink:

And yes, Halle was a perfect choice to play Ariel. She embodies all her traits!! :bow_bowing_orange:

I was jamming to the soundtrack when it came out and would always skip Ariel’s new song, Eric’s and Skuttles songs and I agree Skuttles doesn’t fit in the film. Aesthetically it doesn’t feel like it’d be in the LM. Even Ariel’s new song kinda sounds melodically like it’d be in Beauty and the Beast. 
Now that it’s been out for over a week, I find myself listening to those two new songs more than the OG songs. I still don’t like Eric’s song :slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney:

Oh and Vanessa’s song, although it’s small, it’s sooo good and wicked! Looove :melt_weird_drift_wow:

Edited by MikeHunt
  • Love 1
On 5/27/2023 at 7:25 AM, MikeHunt said:

Yes! I absolutely HATED the casting of Sebastian, but after seeing the film- he was one of my favorite characters. He and Akwafina provided the most laughs for me. The film was way more comedic than I anticipated.

I’m on the fence of the casting of Prince Eric. Although his chemistry with Ariel played genuine in the film, his overall x-factor/ star power didn’t live up to Halle Bailey. I would’ve liked a stronger presence in a partner, but overall though, he did well.

I wish they would’ve played up more of the father/daughter relationship that the original animated version did. It seemed scarce in this version. There’s a part I won’t spoil, that was super unexpected and tragic and it didn’t have the weight as it should have because we didn’t see enough Triton and Ariel moments prior. She was a family girl in the animated version and in this version she seemed so distant from her father and sisters.

I wish the final showdown with Ursula would’ve been longer and that the CGI version of a giant Ursula looked better. 

Overall, I liked it a lot. I’m not sure if I prefer this version over the animated (like i said before, I usually like the originals over the live adaptations). This was really well done. The CGI was better than I anticipated; wonky sometimes but mostly great! Soundtrack was great- I only disliked Prince Eric’s song. He technically can sing but his singing voice is bland. Like Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia. We hear the vibrato, the pitch is there but just so bland with no emotion. The editing and transitions weren’t always good, but the actors did great. Melissa McCarthy surprised me. She pulled off sinister, diabolical and vengeful sooo well! Even the actress that played Vanessa (Ursula in disguise), was great. It was refreshing to have a live action Disney film show the villain being so unhinged and almost just mad! Y’all I recommend seeing it in theaters. It’s an overall good film that’s not as “woke” as the media is portraying it. It’s just a deeper dive into the mindset of the OG cartoon. 

I will second everything you have said here.

I would also have liked the scene where Vanessa gets attacked by the animals to have been longer. It was much more intense and funny in the original and was over very quickly in this, felt a little rushed.

Couldn't really see Ursula very well in the final battle, granted it was night time but even so.

These were only minor negatives though.

All in all I have to say I did love it, and it was actually very funny in places.

I can't stand all the bad press its been getting.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, davidspears said:

I will second everything you have said here.

I would also have liked the scene where Vanessa gets attacked by the animals to have been longer. It was much more intense and funny in the original and was over very quickly in this, felt a little rushed.

Couldn't really see Ursula very well in the final battle, granted it was night time but even so.

These were only minor negatives though.

All in all I have to say I did love it, and it was actually very funny in places.

I can't stand all the bad press its been getting.

Agreed the take down of Vanessa and Ursula was too quick! I did like that Ariel beat that bïtch down hahaha didn’t see that coming! :drag_tiffany_ny_new_york_miss_ms_fight_pull_push_mad:

seriously the culture wars are too much right now. Conservatives were reaching so hard in order to make a black Princess film fail. :nyheadache_miss_ny_new_york_tiffany_annoyed_head_rub_irritated_red_tired:

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block