Spear's 2001 Effort, 'Britney' US sales have FINALLY been re-certified but at an underwhelming 4.7 million copies (Excluding Club Sales). Why didn't the album perform as well in the US?

Screenshot-20230401-054152-Chrome.jpg

Despite the era having garnered massive international success, selling 1.5 million copies in its first week, and earning 15 platinum certifications globally, why wasn't its success replicated in the US? 

Not that I am suggesting that the album was a flop for her in the US, but I was genuinely expecting the album to have sold over 5 million copies in the country alone but this...Is kind of underwhelming.

Would love to hear all of your stances on this. Lemme know! :sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing:

Edited by Blackout2006
2 hours ago, Midnights said:

Due these issues, Clear Channel made her get banned from radio with everything 'Britney' era related.

It's why none of the songs went #1 as radio was one of the biggest indicators to get #1 hits.

Yeah, with physical sales not being relevant anymore and the radio ban INAGNYAW didn't even make it to top 100. Under normal circumstances it would've definitely made into top 100 at least.

• Like 3

It was a different time then and it was a big image jump so I think a lot of parents didn’t want to be buying it for their kids vs the last two albums.  Also as much as people love Slave now, it was not a POP BOP like BOMT, Crazy, Oops, Stronger, Lucky.  I believe Slave was the right choice for Britney’s personal and professional life, but at the same time I believe that if Overprotected got the lead single treatment, the album may have sold more the first few months.  Add that to the fact that 9/11 had just happened and music was not peoples priority for a few months.  I believe Michael also released one of his lowest selling albums the week prior.  And Glitter by Mariah was out around then.  Just a weird time, in addition to all the other members’ posts above.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, very_urban said:

Yeah, with physical sales not being relevant anymore and the radio ban INAGNYAW didn't even make it to top 100. Under normal circumstances it would've definitely made into top 100 at least.

“INAGNYAW” is a TERRIBLE song that deserved it’s Bubbling Under BB 100 spot. That said, it’s still probably more iconic and memorable than most of the other songs that charted at the time.

The other singles off the album deserved SO much better. Without the radio ban, I think they definitely would’ve released another single (Lonely). F U, ClearChannel. 

• Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block