Can we talk about Shania Twain's Up!?

AII

The year was 2002 and it was the follow-up album to the highest selling female album of all time.... Shania Twain's Up! was released in November 2002 with catchy pop single "Im gonna getcha good!" released as the lead single.

With no less than 19 tracks, The album was filled with cheesy, poppy and slightly country tracks. 

I remember my mum buying me the cassette and being so excited to hear all the songs. "What a way to wanna be", "thank you baby" , "waiter! Bring me water" and ballads like "forever and for always" , "when you kiss me" and "I ain't going down" (though it's all I did between 18 and 35) 🤭

Does anybody else remember this album? What were your thoughts?

This album was Shania's third and final diamond certified album200.gif?cid=31ad6aa7cm2o5sox377x39o8grw8

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, LanaDelGeyJordeezy said:

Up! GREEN DISC is so good but some of the songs didn't age as well as her previous material IMO

I preferred the red disc as it was the pop version of the album. The green disc was also ok with a couple of the songs

• Love 1

I really enjoyed this album. Both Come on Over and Up! are definitely her best. I really like that she did the 3 different mixes, something I kinda wish most albums these days had - Same songs, but reimagined in different styles (not merely club mixes, but new studio mixes that could stand on their own).

I enjoyed all three, but the Blue Disc stood out to me sonically and texturally. Forever and For Always was absolute stellar there.

For some reason, they took down the Blue mixes from Spotify so now it's just Red (and I think Green). Unfortunate as I was hoping to have all three. Hailing from New Zealand too, some of her videos (Forever and For Always, When You Kiss Me) were filmed here, and not far from where I live.

Favourite tracks are: Forever and For Always, Getcha Good, Thank You Baby, When You Kiss Me, It Only Hurts, Ka-Ching, Juanita... and a few others too. 

I'm going to have to re-listen to the DVD-audio of this that I have. That was a fun listen.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, InTheMix said:

I really enjoyed this album. Both Come on Over and Up! are definitely her best. I really like that she did the 3 different mixes, something I kinda wish most albums these days had - Same songs, but reimagined in different styles (not merely club mixes, but new studio mixes that could stand on their own).

I enjoyed all three, but the Blue Disc stood out to me sonically and texturally. Forever and For Always was absolute stellar there.

For some reason, they took down the Blue mixes from Spotify so now it's just Red (and I think Green). Unfortunate as I was hoping to have all three. Hailing from New Zealand too, some of her videos (Forever and For Always, When You Kiss Me) were filmed here, and not far from where I live.

Favourite tracks are: Forever and For Always, Getcha Good, Thank You Baby, When You Kiss Me, It Only Hurts, Ka-Ching, Juanita... and a few others too. 

I'm going to have to re-listen to the DVD-audio of this that I have. That was a fun listen.

It only hurts was a great song. So was nah!

It was filled with great tracks. I wish she had released a few more singles and videos from that album. Especially knowing how long it then took to release a follow-up album (15 years !!) 

Ka Ching had a great video. And so did thankyou baby. I thought the video clip for when you kiss me was a bit cheap and she could have done a lot better with that one for such a great song it was a bit of a letdown

• Love 2
8 hours ago, AII said:

It only hurts was a great song. So was nah!

It was filled with great tracks. I wish she had released a few more singles and videos from that album. Especially knowing how long it then took to release a follow-up album (15 years !!) 

Ka Ching had a great video. And so did thankyou baby. I thought the video clip for when you kiss me was a bit cheap and she could have done a lot better with that one for such a great song it was a bit of a letdown

Yeah, totally agree. It's been a while since I've listened to the album so I've forgotten some of the songs. I have the green and red variants on vinyl (wish they released the blue too!) so I'm gonna give it a whirl this weekend for sure.

I do agree some more singles would've been great, though I have to say I miss the days where albums generated so many singles and music videos - Come on Over and Up were prime examples of a lot of content, not often you see that now.

Kiss Me was definitely a low key video, I think it worked well for the song (it was filmed on Takapuna beach and worked for the setting) but I know there's more she could've done for sure. I don't dislike it though, but I don't think it was 100% brill either.

Good times, good memories. Really feels like an album you listen in the breeze, and it's just so chill.

• Love 1

Before Taylor Swift made the transition to pop, Shania did it first with Up! 

After Come On Over, there was so much hype and anticipation for this album. And I think it delivered sonically, but I agree there should have been more iconic visuals/imagery like there was during the 3+ year rollout (!) of her Come On Over era. But things were changing in the early 00s, so it made sense. Up! is my second favorite album, only after Come On Over. It stands up on its own. Her and Matt made magic, and it's unfortunate they couldn't continue. I will still play some of the ballads they wrote together at my wedding :) 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jacolicious said:

After Come On Over, there was so much hype and anticipation for this album. And I think it delivered sonically, but I agree there should have been more iconic visuals/imagery like there was during the 3+ year rollout (!) of her Come On Over era. But things were changing in the early 00s, so it made sense. Up! is my second favorite album, only after Come On Over. It stands up on its own. Her and Matt made magic, and it's unfortunate they couldn't continue. I will still play some of the ballads they wrote together at my wedding :) 

Come on over was great but I think it was only great in hindsight.... It had maybe four really great songs. And the others were still good but not as great as those four singles (the main ones everyone knows). I think up! Had a lot more poppier content. I could easily think of six without having to try hard. And there was no "impress me" or "feel like a woman" on up! But there were other songs that were really good. They didn't get the success that the previous albums singles did but in my opinion they were actually better. However the singles off common over will forever be iconic

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Jacolicious said:

No offence but Taylor music is much better Shania is music is boring not my cup of tea :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

20 minutes ago, Abdul said:

No offence but Taylor music is much better Shania is music is boring not my cup of tea :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

If you were born after 1992, You will probably never really know how big Shania was back in the day. I also do love Taylor Swift. I think lately though she has been a bit desperate and I've been turned off her personality but the music is still good but it's nowhere near as iconic as Shania Twain's music was back in the day. Even if you think of Taylor Swift's most iconic song today which would probably be shake it off or blank space I'm assuming, It still doesn't match to how big man I feel like a woman was. It was a completely different time obviously so maybe it's just that... Waking up early at 6:00 a.m. on the weekends to watch the music clips. There was no streaming or anything like that.  the excitement that there was to hear and watch the countdown on TV, it's nothing like today

• Love 2
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, AII said:

If you were born after 1992, You will probably never really know how big Shania was back in the day. I also do love Taylor Swift. I think lately though she has been a bit desperate and I've been turned off her personality but the music is still good but it's nowhere near as iconic as Shania Twain's music was back in the day. Even if you think of Taylor Swift's most iconic song today which would probably be shake it off or blank space I'm assuming, It still doesn't match to how big man I feel like a woman was. It was a completely different time obviously so maybe it's just that... Waking up early at 6:00 a.m. on the weekends to watch the music clips. There was no streaming or anything like that.  the excitement that there was to hear and watch the countdown on TV, it's nothing like today

I was born in 1982 and I know exactly how big Shania was but her music is not for me she is extremely talented though ❤️

Edited by Abdul
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Abdul said:

I was born in 1982 and I know exactly how big Shania was but her music is not for me she is extremely talented though ❤️

So you came here to say her music is not for you and Taylor is your fave? Why even comment or open the thread ? Get a life we don’t care about you not liking her. Such an irrelevant comment to make get out.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block