‘Drag Race’ Creator Fenton Bailey: ‘Of Course’ We’ve Courted Britney Spears to Be a Guest Judge

But Britney Spears — whose discography has been a lip sync mainstay on the reality competition series (four times in Season 13 alone!) — has yet to make an appearance on the show, despite numerous efforts.

“Of course,” replied “Drag Race” creator and executive producer Fenton Bailey when asked if Spears has been invited to judge. “Many stars are approached for ‘Drag Race.’ And it hasn’t been possible – whether her schedule or people or her own desires, you know?”

Fenton Bailey: Britney was once asked, “What’s one thing people don’t know about you?” And she was like, “I’m just a boring person.” And of course, she meant it in a self-deprecating way. But I think she also meant she is an ordinary person. I love the word Normcore, because I actually think that really describes Britney. And that ***ed-up s** kitten is not Britney.

Have you approached Britney to be a guest judge?

Of course. Many stars are approached for “Drag Race.” And it hasn’t been possible – whether her schedule or people her or her own desires, you know?

She’s been through a lot in recent years, with her conservatorship playing out in public. And despite support from fans, that can be … a lot.

I think Cara [Cunningham] put it best, you know, previously known as Chris Crocker.

“Leave Britney alone.” I felt that of all the commentary and of all the coverage, that’s perhaps the most spot-on. Because, you know, if you free someone from something that protects them, are you really freeing them? Or are you actually putting them in harm’s way? I think that’s the point we’re at now.

rupaul-fenton-bailey-britney-spears.jpg
WWW.THEWRAP.COM

Fenton Bailey reflects on the similarity between pop princess Britney Spears and drag queens in his new book "ScreenAge."

• Love 3
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting.

Yea that last part was not it. If you were trying to get Britney to be a guest judge, it’s over for good if Britney sees that comment.

Also, am I the only gay here who doesn’t give one single **** about this show? I think I watched like two episodes of it. Eh. 

• Love 7
  • Like 1
Just now, Emil87 said:

Thanks for posting.

Yea that last part was not it. If you were trying to get Britney to be a guest judge, it’s over for good if Britney sees that comment.

Also, am I the only gay here who doesn’t give one single **** about this show? I think I watched like two episodes of it. Eh. 

I've never watched it either. :tired_so_there_head_tilt_annoyed_see_rose_mcgowan:

• Love 3

Rupaul is the best show on TV right now and anyone who is not watching is missing out. Amazon Studios Period GIF by Amazon Prime Video

As an LGBTQ+ icon, it would be great to see Britney with the queens in a future season. At the end of the day, the show is about drag culture and not these producers.

But what's with the conservatorship comment? It is not his place to comment beyond whether or not Britney was approached to do the show. :slowdown_down_cardib_b_cardi_um_fast_confused_what_stare:

• Love 6

@DiamondCircus you missed an important detail from the article: Bailey has a special relationship with Spears. Prior to “Drag Race” and its many iterations, Bailey and business partner (and World of Wonder co-founder) Randy Barbato directed the 2013 documentary “I Am Britney Jean,” which chronicled Spears as she finished and promoted her “Piece of Me” tour in Las Vegas.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, MasterMindz said:

@DiamondCircus you missed an important detail from the article: Bailey has a special relationship with Spears. Prior to “Drag Race” and its many iterations, Bailey and business partner (and World of Wonder co-founder) Randy Barbato directed the 2013 documentary “I Am Britney Jean,” which chronicled Spears as she finished and promoted her “Piece of Me” tour in Las Vegas.

I didn't miss it I just didn't put it all in and linked it incase people wanted to read the whole thing. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, MIKE_INT said:

Im actually surprised Team Con didnt book her to do Drag Race in the same time she did Carpool karaoke etc. cause in Drag Race she would literally just sit and comment something cute to contestant and thats all

They’re literally homophobic lol, why would they want her on a show celebrating gay people. They’d rather get some random writers to use the most garbage stereotypical song called Work ***** and wrap it up as this pro gay pride thing. Her team was about exploiting gay people, not celebrating them. 

• Love 1
  • Like 4
3 minutes ago, Rik vs Exhale said:

They’re literally homophobic lol, why would they want her on a show celebrating gay people. They’d rather get some random writers to use the most garbage stereotypical song called Work ***** and wrap it up as this pro gay pride thing. Her team was about exploiting gay people, not celebrating them. 

On a podcast where the interviewer talks to Simon Ellis, SImon says (LOL) before the FF tour that Jamie told him he wants FF tour to be the gayest show ever. So it's rlly not about her team being homophobic or not. They're acting as a business and the gays would literally throw money at anything Britney related.

9 minutes ago, Mr. AmericanDream said:

On a podcast where the interviewer talks to Simon Ellis, SImon says (LOL) before the FF tour that Jamie told him he wants FF tour to be the gayest show ever. So it's rlly not about her team being homophobic or not. They're acting as a business and the gays would literally throw money at anything Britney related.

Not necessarily, as BJ and Glory bombed, and Domination tickets weren't selling. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, DiamondCircus said:

Not necessarily, as BJ and Glory bombed, and Domination tickets weren't selling. 

I mean yeah but I'm talking about the mentality they were having. Circus album/tour & FF album all soared, so their mentality was for that to continue into FF tour (which it did despite fans noticing her being off). I can totally see Jamie saying "make this show gay!! I want everyone coming to spend on this" and everyone did. so yes necessarily lol

Edited by Mr. AmericanDream
  • Love 2
Just now, Mr. AmericanDream said:

I mean yeah but I'm talking about the mentality they were having. Circus album/tour & FF album all soared, so their mentality was for that to continue

That's very true, that took a turn though when fans knew Team Con was up to no good and people stopped supporting Britney the machine. 

• Like 4

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block