Girls Aloud to release music to mark 20 years of debut single ‘Sound Of the Underground’

Cqleb

Apparently it's for a planned rerelease of Sound Of the Underground (the album) for the 20th anniversary. If true it NEEDS to be like the One Touch 20th anniversary.

CD, vinyl, cassette and digital releases (needs to be the original artwork with a hot pink vinyl or even a green one), use a mix of tracklistings from both versions of the album, tack on the SOTU era b-sides, add some unreleased songs from the era, some "new" remixes (get MNEK to do one!!) and alternative versions and that would be my dream come true xxxx

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, nwonder said:

Omg I got excited for a GA comeback

:wendycry_wiliams_panicked_crying_tears_upset_sad:

…But it would be bittersweet without Sarah

:crying3_britney_sobbing_tears_sad:

From what i gather, it isnt a comeback, its just reissuing their Sound of the Underground album for the 20th  anniversary with a few unreleased and unheard songs from 20 years ago, same thing spice girls did with spice25 and spiceworld25. i remember Kimberley saying last year on a TV show she hosts that they dont want to perform without Sarah  and tbh i think thats the right decision. it just wouldnt be the same without her. To be fair, it wouldnt be the same without any of them tbh, i always thought every member of GA added something to the group. i feel bad for saying this because i do like her, but there isnt a Victoria Beckham in GA   

Edited by jonloch1
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

I wonder if they’ll create new visuals for the unreleased material or will it just be clips from back then. 

Also, for UK people, or maybe general fans would know. How come and when did Cheryl fall off? I was a fan of her solo material and some people told me she was like their version of Britney (in terms of popular pretty pop girl, who has hits, dances well and is liked among the GP). I didnt really follow her but when I did, I knew she gained solo popularity from her time of the XFactor, then her husband cheated on her and she had survived a deadly disease and that gained her even more support and popularity. I know she continued to release music, but all I see if she’s ever on DailyMail it’s usually about her kid with Liam Payne and all the comments are negative towards her and her talent. What happened that made the shift? 

21 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

I wonder if they’ll create new visuals for the unreleased material or will it just be clips from back then. 

Also, for UK people, or maybe general fans would know. How come and when did Cheryl fall off? I was a fan of her solo material and some people told me she was like their version of Britney (in terms of popular pretty pop girl, who has hits, dances well and is liked among the GP). I didnt really follow her but when I did, I knew she gained solo popularity from her time of the XFactor, then her husband cheated on her and she had survived a deadly disease and that gained her even more support and popularity. I know she continued to release music, but all I see if she’s ever on DailyMail it’s usually about her kid with Liam Payne and all the comments are negative towards her and her talent. What happened that made the shift? 

I’m not sure I’d say she was the UK’s Britney. She stopped releasing music pretty much, she released two one off singles a few years back but no album materialised. She’s actually starring in a play called A Ghost Story which is playing in London's West End atm and I’ve heard very good things about her performance. She’s also focused on being a mother to her son. 

Her last music performance was Mighty Hoopla festival in 2021. She was also supposed to perform at Birmingham Pride that year but she pulled out after Sarah’s death.

Edited by Isla
  • Love 1
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, Isla said:

I’m not sure I’d say she was the UK’s Britney. She stopped releasing music pretty much, she released two one off singles a few years back but no album materialised. She’s actually starring in a play called Ghost which is playing in London atm and I’ve heard very good things about her performance. She’s also focused on being a mother to her son. 

Her last performance was Mighty Hoopla festival in 2021. She was also supposed to perform at Birmingham Pride that year but she pulled out after Sarah’s death.

Thanks for the update! Would you say she still has a large relevant presence in the UK or has she fizzled out? 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

Leaving X Factor UK was Cheryl's biggest problem. Her first 2 albums were no1 but they were released during X Factor and she was on TV every weekend so the exposure helped, then she left to join X Factor USA  in 2011 which didnt work out at all for her and she was dropped. then she released her 3rd album in 2012 without X Factor and it was still successful, went to no2 but the lead single was no1. Her 4th album was a weird one because she rejoined X Factor UK and the first 2 singles were no1 but the album went only to no7 which i dont really know why that was, she promoted it a lot and had two no1 singles and had the exposure of X Factor again and performed on XF so it was a bit surprising it only went to no7, i dont really know why that was. But then she did X Factror again in 2015 but left in 2016 and announced a career break, had a baby in 2017 and didnt comeback til 2018 and i think by that point taking 3 years away from the spotlight after an album that saw her running success slip was a bad idea. Then she released her comeback single Love Made Me Do It in 2018 which truth be told was awful and performed it on X Factor which was an awful performance, and it went to no3 i think but very drastically tumbled down the charts in a week to something like no80 something, then her 2nd single missed top 100 i think

So imo it was leaving X Factor UK, going away for 4 years and then coming back with awful songs that killed Cheryl's solo career

• Love 1
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, jonloch1 said:

Leaving X Factor UK was Cheryl's biggest problem. Her first 2 albums were no1 but they were released during X Factor and she was on TV every weekend so the exposure helped, then she left to join X Factor USA  in 2011 which didnt work out at all for her and she was dropped. then she released her 3rd album in 2012 without X Factor and it was still successful, went to no2 but the lead single was no1. Her 4th album was a weird one because she rejoined X Factor UK and the first 2 singles were no1 but the album went only to no7 which i dont really know why that was, she promoted it a lot and had two no1 singles and had the exposure of X Factor again and performed on XF so it was a bit surprising it only went to no7, i dont really know why that was. But then she did X Factror again in 2015 but left in 2016 and announced a career break, had a baby in 2017 and didnt comeback til 2018 and i think by that point taking 3 years away from the spotlight after an album that saw her running success slip was a bad idea. Then she released her comeback single Love Made Me Do It in 2018 which truth be told was awful and performed it on X Factor which was an awful performance, and it went to no3 i think but very drastically tumbled down the charts in a week to something like no80 something, then her 2nd single missed top 100 i think

So imo it was leaving X Factor UK, going away for 4 years and then coming back with awful songs that killed Cheryl's solo career

Didn't she have a baby though? 

It's not like she was chilling being lazy for 4 years :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:

1 hour ago, ItsBeanie****** said:

Didn't she have a baby though? 

It's not like she was chilling being lazy for 4 years :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:

yeh she did. im not criticising her or calling her lazy for taking 4 years off, im just saying thats one of the factors, unfortunately in the music industry completely disappearing for 4 years is quite risky. Like Pink has took 4 or 5 years between albums, but during that time she released one off singles for movies, did a side project with Dallas Green, made TV appearances etc but Cheryl completely disappeared. And again im not personally criticising her for that, but unfortunately the music industry is very fickle and its very difficult to comeback after that long away unless you are a massive name like Pink, Britney, Madonna etc  

also like i said, having a 4 year break was only part of the problem, not being a judge on X Factor UK and releasing not very good songs was also a problem

Edited by jonloch1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, jonloch1 said:

I mean The X Factor fell off as well and is now no longer on air. The 2015 series was actually the last one I watched! It was an awful series though. I did check out the celebrity one they did in 2019 and quite enjoyed that.

I'm not sure why Only Human only charted at #7, I think it was released during a competitive week though. The title track only peaked at #98 or something like that when it was released as a single which was criminal as it's one of Cheryl's best songs imo and deserved better. She didn't do any promo for it though, asides from one performance at Children In Need which took place months before the single release, and that weird radio mix (which I only listened to like once) is to blame too. 

Also Love Made Me Do It didn't go top 10 ddd. It peaked at #18 and then quickly slid out of the charts. The X Factor performance actually was pretty good imo and it's a shame so many people complained to Ofcom about it. I do think she should have released Let You first as it's the superior song. Love Made Me Do It is okay but a comeback single it is not. It's a shame we never got the supposed album she recorded during that time period.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
52 minutes ago, Isla said:

I mean The X Factor fell off as well and is now no longer on air. The 2015 series was actually the last one I watched! It was an awful series though. I did check out the celebrity one they did in 2019 and quite enjoyed that.

No i meant when she first left in 2010 when X Factor was still massive, her solo career did go downhill a little when she came back without the backing of XF in 2012, she still had a no1 single and a no2 album which is still great, but it still affected her solo career, then i think she probably thought going back to XF in 2014 would resurge it which she did have two no1 singles but the album only went to no7. then she left XF and had a baby and it all went downhill from there

1 hour ago, Isla said:

Also Love Made Me Do It didn't go top 10 ddd

i thought it went to #3 for a short time?? maybe im thinking like the first hour it was released or something. i know it then completely slipped down the charts quite rapidly after release

Edited by jonloch1
3 minutes ago, jonloch1 said:

No i meant when she first left in 2010 when X Factor was still massive, her solo career did go downhill a little when she came back without the backing of XF in 2012, she still had a no1 single and a no2 album which is still great, but it still affected her solo career, then i think she probably thought going back to XF in 2014 would resurge it which she did have two no1 singles but the album only went to no7. then she left XF and had a baby and it all went downhill from there

Eh I see what you mean. I don't think leaving The X Factor affected the performance of A Million Lights that much though. The album still did well and Call My Name is one of her biggest hits. There still seems to be a lot of mystery surrounding her leaving X Factor USA but I remember she spoke about it in her book and she sent Simon Cowell a REALLY angry text afterwards and told him to never speak to her again ddd. Obvs they made up though and she was a judge again but yeah...

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block