Dave Hogan talks Madonna kissing Britney

I’m only taking the part relevant to Britney: 

spacer.png
We get into talking about one of Dave's most famous images he's ever captured, of Madonna and Britney Spears stealing a kiss on stage in 2003. Dave recalls:

"I remember it really well because actually, it was the day I proposed to my second wife, we’re divorced now, but still really good friends. Anyway, we were going to New York and I had access to watch the dress rehearsals. 

"On that particular day, I’d managed to get plum, right in the center, and I knew something was going to happen. I Didn't know what, and that’s the thing - you get tipped off a little bit, like okay, she’s gonna do something special, well everything with Madonna is something special, but you’ve got to be alert." 
"What happened was Madonna was doing her bit, Britney Spears was there, and Christina Aguilera. You’ve got three really quite major female artists that are doing their sort of walking down the runway, almost as a bridal sequence, and Madonna gets to the end of the walkway and the first person she kisses is Britney, and as she turns her head, she kisses Christina on the other side." 

"My camera had buffered, and then I think most of the other photographer's cameras had buffered. So the picture was Britney and Madonna, but I’m sure Christina’s PR would be going “Didn’t she kiss you as well?”

"That split moment is a technical difficulty, as in the old days before burst mode came in, you couldn’t just press the button and shoot fifty shots, it was like [b-zzing, b-shinng] as it would be buffering. So that moment was immortalized with Madona and it was probably one of the most talked about pictures I think I’d done in years."

"I mean there were a couple of other people who got it, I wasn’t the only person but because I got it in The Sun, which was almost like the shot window to the world, other people would then call up, but there were probably four or five other photographers who got the shot too - but it’s about who delivers it quickly on the wire, and what exposure you get from doing that."

"You've got to adapt, and they're [the media] adapting in their way. So you either whinge and moan, and the last thing anybody wants is another whingey Moany photographer, because there's enough of them out there. Every day, I wake up, and I'm excited, just to visually see things, whether I snap it on my iPhone, or I'm photographing Madonna and Britney, or Rolling Stones, I love it. I think it's because I'm dyslexic. It's almost like my snapshot diving."

adynRBBqS8MZhUdG35WGf7-1200-80.jpg
WWW.DIGITALCAMERAWORLD.COM

Dave Hogan is the first-ever Legend of the Year in the inaugural So.co Music...

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block