Earthquake in Turkey and Syria killed thousands

do the thing

A powerful 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck Turkey and Syria, killing at least 2500 people in the 2 countries. At least 3000 buildings collapsed in Turkey. Tens of thousands of injured. The earthquake had effects from Lebanon to… Greenland.

As many as 20,000 people may have died in Turkey-Syria quake, WHO estimates. « From the Risklayer CATDAT Damage Estimation Model, we are now sitting at 29,260 median fatalities (Range: 9,390 to 64,800) for #Turkey and #Syria. » More than 60k potentially killed… And a lot of people are still under rocks.

Add to that, winter: hundreds of thousands of people are dislocated and without a house. The region (Syrian border) is experiencing a heavy snow storm at the moment, and is known for its rough winters. It is also a region with a lot of inhabitants… and ranks also among the poorest regions of Turkey. 

Here are some videos:

The snow storm makes it harder to join; it touches both Turkey and Syria, thankfukkt these countries are used to this kind of snow.

Thousands of people have been saved. But thousands of others are still stuck. There’s a lot of videos of people stuck under rocks on the internet calling for help. But due to the snow storm touching the entire country it’s hard to join these cities, especially when some are almost fully destroyed…

This castle, which has made it through two milleniums, just collapsed.

You can find a lot of videos online. Some include death people. Others wounded ones on the snow, outside, barefoot with just some pyjamas. A lot of newly built buildings are illegally built, as they didn’t respect the norms to avoid their collapsing after the earthquake. Beware that it is mandatory in Turkey to respect these… I don’t know about Syria. Which explains why there’s so much damage compared to Japan. 

Please, if you can, do help these people: even just 1 or 2 bucks can do wonders if a lot of people are sharing! Meals, coats, clothes: they lost even the most basic needs, like their toothbrush or their coat! 

As for Syria: poor Syrians, especially since it’s a region that’s been through a civil war, followed by a terrorist state, then turned into a refugee destroyed camp, and now this… compared to Turkey, Syria is (since the Revolution) extremely poor. 

• Love 1

Thank you so much for making this thread, do the thing. I'm from Turkey and I live in Kocaeli (a city in the Marmara Region of the country), which wasn't affected by the earthquakes but I know from my friends who live in other cities and of course from social media that too many people died and there are still a lot of people trapped under debris. There are also people who died from the cold because they couldn't find a shelter. It's a nightmare.

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, britisthecolor said:

Thank you so much for making this thread, do the thing. I'm from Turkey and I live in Kocaeli (a city in the Marmara Region of the country), which wasn't affected by the earthquakes but I know from my friends who live in other cities and of course from social media that too many people died and there are still a lot of people trapped under debris. There are also people who died from the cold because they couldn't find a shelter. It's a nightmare.

Hide contents

I hope you, your family and your friends are all safe and stay safe. This is devastating :(

• Love 1
16 hours ago, britisthecolor said:

Reveal hidden contents

International help is definitely needed! With this snow storm going on, and the insane amount of debris, it's gonna be hard... I really hope that the survivors won't die while being trapped or due to the cold and its effects...

Stay safe! I'm glad to hear that you weren't affected by it! Let's try to spread the news as much as possible and contribute to help - even a very small amount of money is a lot: buying a cover might save somebody from the bitter cold. 

I'm even more concerned about Syria, who isn't equipped to send rescues in these regions. I hope that international help is gonna arrive soon.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, do the thing said:

International help is definitely needed! With this snow storm going on, and the insane amount of debris, it's gonna be hard... I really hope that the survivors won't die while being trapped or due to the cold and its effects...

Stay safe! I'm glad to hear that you weren't affected by it! Let's try to spread the news as much as possible and contribute to help - even a very small amount of money is a lot: buying a cover might save somebody from the bitter cold. 

I'm even more concerned about Syria, who isn't equipped to send rescues in these regions. I hope that international help is gonna arrive soon.

a576807012461852d85083f59791c272.gif

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block