Pop Girlies' Magnum Opi vs. Your Favorite Albums

3 hours ago, i sometimes sing live said:

I agree with all of these except for Crash. It was definitely her most commercially successful era since Sucker because that's literally what the point of the era was - to go out with a bang. But it also alienated a lot of fans who loved her for her hyperpop endeavors. Crash is a damn good pop record, which is what it set out to be, but it's nowhere near Pop 2 or How I'm Feeling Now, in my humble opinion.

I do see where you're coming from and I'm glad, actually, that you explained that so eloquently and respectfully without attempting to be wannabe sassy "cool" user :)  

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Groundbreaking said:

I do see where you're coming from and I'm glad, actually, that you explained that so eloquently and respectfully without attempting to be wannabe sassy "cool" user :)  

One just has to be able to read the room and know their audience. If this were @Rik vs Exhale, I'd tell him that his taste sucks, and that he should re-evaluate his life choices. :saywat-towelney:

• Love 1
  • Haha 2
13 hours ago, Groundbreaking said:

I'm glad, actually, that you explained that so eloquently and respectfully without attempting to be wannabe sassy "cool" user :)  

13 hours ago, i sometimes sing live said:

One just has to be able to read the room and know their audience. If this were @Rik vs Exhale, I'd tell him that his taste sucks, and that he should re-evaluate his life choices. :saywat-towelney:

He's not lying-

17 hours ago, i sometimes sing live said:

Revoking your "Best Taste" title STAT. :saywat-towelney:

:saywat-towelney:

• Haha 1

IDK - it's really tricky. 1989 was literally THE era of all eras (à la After Hours and Future Nostalgia to name recent examples), though. And is an album revitalizing an artist's career that important of a criterion magnum-opus-wise? I mean, The Emancipation of Mimi did that for Mariah, but Butterfly is her undisputed magnum opus. Though at the same time, Butterfly is probably a lot better than 1989, so I'm still undecided. :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous: Also, Red has already had its retrospective acclaim moment - its rerecording sits at a pretty 91 on Metacritic (compared to the 77 of the original), which is kind of insane. :mariah-hurry:

Yes, TEOM did that for Mariah but the vital difference is that it helped give Mariah a comeback and success for the remaining years of the 2000s while Folklore gave birth to an entire new era for Taylor Swift. It helped revitalize her career and made people see her as an artist rather than a popstar (1989-Reputation).

Mariah has always been a critic darling and a respected artist in general. A more suitable comparison to give you a better perspective into my point would be ROL. It's largely recognized as Madonna's magnum opus even though she has Like a Prayer- that was both a huge commercial and critical success like the 1989 example you brought up. However, most people view Ray of Light as a quintessential record of Madonna's since it is a perfect example of her artistry, which aligns with my point for Folklore.

Also, Red has already had its retrospective acclaim moment - its rerecording sits at a pretty 91 on Metacritic (compared to the 77 of the original), which is kind of insane. :mariah-hurry:

Yea IK but I'm saying this would've still happened in a world where there was no Folklore :mariah-hurry:

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block