1 year later: the GP hasn’t learned a THING

One year ago, after Britney was freed and celebrated her 40th birthday, I wrote this piece on Medium. It outlines why Britney has the right to autonomy, not as a product of celebrity. 

1*VQhynYCwSF2XnwvEUTC3yA.jpeg

Forever the Princess of Pop, Britney Spears paved the way for generations of female darlings to...

One year later, the GP hasn’t learned… in fact, their opinions and comments toward her have grown increasingly critical. 

Why does the GP continue to dissect everything Britney does AND believe they rightfully have an opinion? It’s like this illegal, fraudulent, conservatorship  taught people nothing about our toxic obsession with certain celebrities.

Will Britney forever be unfairly held under a microscope and to a different level than her peers? Or is there a way out?

Share your thoughts. 

• Love 3

Agree with this whole piece! Thank you for sharing. It's not up to us to micromanage Britney. In fact, that has been shown (by the documentaries everyone claims to love) that micromanaging Britney by mob rule is what caused a lot of her problems. 

Reminds me of this Onion article from after Britney's testimony. Scary how it's supposed to be a joke, but I guess this is a "it's funny because it's true" 

b6oepuxnpefbgrxpdmk0.jpg
WWW.THEONION.COM

LOS ANGELES—Stating that the pop star had made great strides in managing her mental health, the nation’s media outlets reported Monday that Britney Spears was well enough to be released back...

Media Claims Britney Spears Well Enough To Be Released Back Into Their Sole Custody
PublishedFebruary 8, 2021

LOS ANGELES—Stating that the pop star had made great strides in managing her mental health, the nation’s media outlets reported Monday that Britney Spears was well enough to be released back into their sole custody. “We think the singer has achieved a level of mental fitness to once again be placed completely in the care of the press,” said TMZ host Harvey Levin, echoing thousands of entertainment journalists and paparazzi across the country who declared the iconic singer completely recovered from the highly publicized mental breakdown 12 years ago that led to her conservatorship and was now ready to be placed back under their full supervision. “She’s really turned a corner and what’s best for her at this point in her recuperation is to have her under our control. Having known Britney since she was just a kid, we are the best people to look after her every single day with absolutely no break.” Members of the media added that they were also open to a joint custody agreement where the courts could return her to a conservatorship once they drove her into hitting rock bottom again.

• Love 2

People want Britney to have autonomy and she deserves it. No one (sane) is saying she shouldn’t. The general public and many fans have simply been turned off by all the unnecessary name-calling, spamming, double-ended posts and bullying that’s been happening on her public platforms like Instagram and Twitter. If Britney’s 90s/00s peers such as Christina, JLo, Beyoncé, Avril and Shakira did the same, they would absolutely be cancelled and likely face even harder backlash. If anything, Britney does get a bit of a leeway because a good part of the general public still has some empathy left for her. It’s a very sticky situation all around.

Oh and the reason why Britney was always held under such a microscope was because of her overnight mega-stardom. Britney was a paradox who appealed to a wide variety of people, not just one or two demographics. She was the people’s pop star. She was your relatable and charming next-door-girl yet was a beast on the stage. Her ability to intertwine innocence and ***uality was brilliant and has been studied by just about any major pop star today. Unfortunately, with stardom of that caliber comes unfair scrutiny and everyone feeling the need to barge in with their opinions just like we’re doing right now.

• Love 3
  • Like 1

she will always be unfairly judged and criticized no matter what. the public has a weird entitlement to britney, which in my opinion, got worse since her freedom. now it's "she needs to behave how i think she should behave and if she doesn't then she's crazy and needs to be in a con again." it's absolutely sick, but i expect nothing less. i'm more disappointed in her fans, who judge her constantly. i don't expect the gp to grow and change, but her fans? most of y'all should be ashamed of yourselves. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

it's not just the GP, it's her own "fans" as well

This is true. We are all guilty. Ultimately, I do think when you become a celebrity, politician, etc, there is a basic understanding that people are going to impose their beliefs on you and dictate how you should run your life. This will never go away, it is human nature, and I think it is attached to anyone in the public eye, because essentially their life is elevated (more status, more power, more money, more control) for being a "public person" so therefore in turn the public beliefs they have this sort of right... Which is understandable, but with Britney I think it's just too far and she gets the worst of it out of ANYONE just because she happened to be THAT girl in 1999 that was literally America's sweetheart and it will never shake off.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, blackingouthenegativity said:

Reminds me of this Onion article from after Britney's testimony. Scary how it's supposed to be a joke, but I guess this is a "it's funny because it's true"

Thank you for reading!!! Wow I never read that Onion article; it's just ridiculous how the PR spin of this con was for her "mental health" yet now in court docs they're back-tracking and saying it was never about mental health, it was about protecting her... wtf

1 hour ago, charlenerose said:

People want Britney to have autonomy and she deserves it. No one (sane) is saying she shouldn’t. The general public and many fans have simply been turned off by all the unnecessary name-calling, spamming, double-ended posts and bullying that’s been happening on her public platforms like Instagram and Twitter. If Britney’s 90s/00s peers such as Christina, JLo, Beyoncé, Avril and Shakira did the same, they would absolutely be cancelled and likely face even harder backlash. If anything, Britney does get a bit of a leeway because a good part of the general public still has some empathy left for her. It’s a very sticky situation all around.

Oh and the reason why Britney was always held under such a microscope was because of her overnight mega-stardom. Britney was a paradox who appealed to a wide variety of people, not just one or two demographics. She was the people’s pop star. She was your relatable and charming next-door-girl yet was a beast on the stage. Her ability to intertwine innocence and ***uality was brilliant and has been studied by just about any major pop star today. Unfortunately, with stardom of that caliber comes unfair scrutiny and everyone feeling the need to barge in with their opinions just like we’re doing right now.

This -- 100% accurate! It is sad to see her with these shading posts. I don't get it. And it's MY opinion that someone of her age, who is a mother, and should have a better understanding of emotional intelligence, would be shading someone like Selena who could be the age of her sister IF that's who she is shading, the whole situation is confusing to me TBH

• Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block