Did Carly Rae Jepsen need to commercially flop to blossom?

I have a lot of positive feelings about Carly, but I disagree with you on several points. I don't think it seemed like she was destined to be a mainstream artist for long. I like her album 'Kiss,' yet aside from 'Good Time,' which was partly a hit due to Owl City, the album didn't seem to have another hit single, IMO. For me 'Emotion' is just beyond. Even though I like her previous stuff, I wouldn't have predicted she had the potential to make something as good as 'Emotion.' That album became a cult classic instead of a GP hit. It was every bit as good as Taylor Swift's 1980's-style album, and I'd say better, so clearly Carly's commercial peak had already passed. She has a nice career, dedicated fans, and doesn't want to be a massive star anyway. It works. Personally, her work is really hit or miss for me after 'Emotion,' but I'm glad she's still going. 

• Love 6

Tbh I’ve kinda turned a blind eye to her since Call Me Maybe just bc the song got so annoying and what other songs I heard from her felt too bubbly and feminine for me, even with other pop stans raving about it. But I’m giving the album a listen now thanks to this post because I trust your music taste more than others’. You should be honored.  :cardi_b_yes_tongue_haha_cocky:

Edit: it’s still not for me :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:

• Love 1
  • Haha 4
  • Like 1

She totally did... just look at the annoying sh.it that 'I Really Like You' is comparted to the rest of the amazing Emotion. She wasn't really getting the coins so the label did not pay much attention but asked her to include a 'hit' anyway. After that... artistic freedom and greatness. 'Warm Blood' is a song I listen and I just get lost to it.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

Tbh I’ve kinda turned a blind eye to her since Call Me Maybe just bc the song got so annoying and what other songs I heard from her felt too bubbly and feminine for me, even with other pop stans raving about it. But I’m giving the album a listen now thanks to this post because I trust your music taste more than others’. You should be honored.  :cardi_b_yes_tongue_haha_cocky:

This is an immense honor :omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised:

• Love 1

I think no though.
I don't think she's that kind of person that's gonna ba a mega pop star, ever.
To me she's like a talented indie pop girl that just happen to go viral for once. 
Even if Call  Me Maybe never happen, she would probably still release music and gather her audience eventually.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

I heard her say once that one of her friends really loved the idea of being big in Japan because then you've got income but you don't need to have the loss of privacy at home. I think Carly feels kind of like that. She does have fans in Japan, also everywhere else, but she doesn't have so many fans that she loses the ability to be anonymous if she wants to be. She owns her house in LA and gets to do music full-time without worrying about money. I think she's thrilled. If she were Lady Gaga, I think she'd be horrified by the attention. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, IsraeliMatt said:

I have a lot of positive feelings about Carly, but I disagree with you on several points. I don't think it seemed like she was destined to be a mainstream artist for long. I like her album 'Kiss,' yet aside from 'Good Time,' which was partly a hit due to Owl City, the album didn't seem to have another hit single, IMO. For me 'Emotion' is just beyond. Even though I like her previous stuff, I wouldn't have predicted she had the potential to make something as good as 'Emotion.' That album became a cult classic instead of a GP hit. It was every bit as good as Taylor Swift's 1980's-style album, and I'd say better, so clearly Carly's commercial peak had already passed. She has a nice career, dedicated fans, and doesn't want to be a massive star anyway. It works. Personally, her work is really hit or miss for me after 'Emotion,' but I'm glad she's still going. 

I’d say give the new album a listen sis 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Adriannn said:

She totally did... just look at the annoying sh.it that 'I Really Like You' is comparted to the rest of the amazing Emotion. She wasn't really getting the coins so the label did not pay much attention but asked her to include a 'hit' anyway. After that... artistic freedom and greatness. 'Warm Blood' is a song I listen and I just get lost to it.

Last week of Exhale Top and Miss Slae Jepsen is going to stay on top :urite_wendy_williams_red_yes_earrings_nod_proud_wow_impressed:

3 hours ago, i sometimes sing live said:

TBH, she kinda Nelly Furtadoed her career - I don't think she really wanted to be famous famous. And it all worked out in the end - she's successful enough that she doesn't have to deal with the messy side of fame while being able to make the music she wants to make.

Just like our other queen Marina. She has made a fan base large enough to keep her touring, but not large enough to have her every move scrutinized :urite_wendy_williams_red_yes_earrings_nod_proud_wow_impressed:

• Love 1
3 hours ago, nux1989 said:

I think no though.
I don't think she's that kind of person that's gonna ba a mega pop star, ever.
To me she's like a talented indie pop girl that just happen to go viral for once. 
Even if Call  Me Maybe never happen, she would probably still release music and gather her audience eventually.

I didn’t think she would be a MPG, but didn’t think she would fizzle out so quick given she had every trend on her side at the time. I’m happy though because now when I see her live I won’t have to battle crazed ticket sales and stans to get a ticket 

2 hours ago, IsraeliMatt said:

I heard her say once that one of her friends really loved the idea of being big in Japan because then you've got income but you don't need to have the loss of privacy at home. I think Carly feels kind of like that. She does have fans in Japan, also everywhere else, but she doesn't have so many fans that she loses the ability to be anonymous if she wants to be. She owns her house in LA and gets to do music full-time without worrying about money. I think she's thrilled. If she were Lady Gaga, I think she'd be horrified by the attention. 

This is the way. I wish Dua all the success but seeing the fiasco that Taylor causes with her sales I honestly hope Dua doesn’t get bigger than she is. I hate the idea of not being able to see my favorite artists tour 

• Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block