This Day in Pop: Britney Spears releases 'Circus' album in 2008 (November 28)

This Day in Pop: Britney Spears releases 'Circus' album in 2008 (November 28)  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

01.jpg

On November 28, 2008 Britney Spears released Circus, her sixth studio album, in several European countries. It was released in the United States on December 02 that year, on her birthday. Executive produced by Britney's manager, Larry Rudolph and Theresa LaBarbera, who had collaborated with Britney on Blackout, the predominantly pop album incorporates a lot of rhythms and styles, from sweet ballads such as Out from Under and My Baby, to dance mid-tempos like Unusual You and Shattered Glass, to pop-rock tracks like Rock Me In.

The record enlisted many of the collaborators from Britney's past career, like Max Martin, Danja, Guy Sigsworth and Bloodshy & Avant. Other producers were Dr. Luke, Benny Blanco, The Clutch, Fernando Garibay, Rob Knox, The Outsyiders, Nicole Morier, among others. Lady Gaga co-wrote the bonus track exclusive to selected countries, Quicksand.

02.png

The album topped six charts, including the US BB200 and the European Top 100 Albums, while being Top 5 in 10 other countries. It was also Top 10 in the majority of other countries where it charted.

Release History:

• November 28, 2008 - Germany
  • December 1st, 2008 - UK
  • December 2nd, 2008 - US
  • December 3rd, 2008 - Japan

And on November 28, 2019, it was released on vinyl in the US.

Four singles off the album were released in total: Womanizer, Circus, If U Seek Amy and Radar, the latter of which was a bonus track that was originally included on her previous album, Blackout.

circussingles.png

Kill the Lights received a promo release in a limited edition bonus disc that came with the perfume Circus Fantasy, along with a Circus remix. An animated video was made, with a shortened version of the song, after the concept for it won a fan contest where they had to choose a track of the album and elaborate a storyline for a potential video. Unusual You was rumored to be released as a single in some parts such as Australia and New Zealand. The Discogs website lists an unofficial release for the song, that also included Shattered Glass as track 2. It was never confirmed by Britney's team nor record label the legitimacy of the single.

killtheyou.png

The Deluxe edition of the album includes 15 tracks, Radar included. The bonus tracks released across the different versions around the world are Rock Boy, Amnesia, Trouble and Quicksand. There's two CD + DVD editions that include the Womanizer and Circus videos, the making of these and some photo galleries.

Britney-Spears-09-1920x1200.jpg

In the summer of 2008 it was confirmed that Britney was working on her "comeback album". In an interview for OK! Magazine, Britney described the album as being "more urban" and "her best work to date". One of the first producers to be confirmed for the album was Rodney Jerkins, he commented to Rap-UP TV that the two songs he was working on were "very dance-y, really up-tempo, in the clubs, real aggressive, catchy and very hook-friendly. I'm trying to reinvent her and reinvent myself with the project. I think it's about to be her time again". Another producer confirmed at the time was Sean Garrett, he told EW about working with Britney: "We’re trying to take her stuff to the next level. I’m going to come up with something crazy for her. I like to work on an artist when they count them out...and bring them back".  None of these producers' songs made the final tracklist. Other collaborators confirmed but that also didn't appear in the final album were Lil Jon and Taio Cruz.

06.png

Britney mentioned this had been the longest she had worked on an album. She described Circus as being "lighter" in comparison to the previous record Blackout.

On her birthday in 2008, the day of the release of the album in the US, she performed Circus and Womanizer on Good Morning America.

Other promo performances for this era were the Bambi Awards in Germany, Star Academy in France, The X Factor UK and in Japan Hey! Hey! Hey! Music Champ and NTV Best Artist. She performed Womanizer in all these appearances. Besides that, in 2009 she embarked on The Circus Starring: Britney Spears tour, however only the 4 singles and Mannequin were included on the setlist. Lace and Leather would be later performed at her Femme Fatale Tour in 2011.

08.png

• Love 4

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.