How Does The UK Feel About Steps?

So my newest guilty pleasure is the group Steps.  I’ve never really enjoyed “5, 6, 7, 8,” but I remember them trying to gain popularity in the US with “The Way You Make Me Feel” and I actually bought the “Buzz” album, but never really enjoyed it.

they fell off the face of the earth, at least in the US.

Anyway, they recently popped up on YouTube and I gave some of their newer stuff a listen and am actually really enjoying it!  I love their vocals and I’ve always been super intrigued by Lisa Scott-Lee.

How popular are they truly in the UK?  Are they kind of a legacy pop act similar to O-Town/98 Degrees here?  I’m very interested in them and their reputation!

• Love 2

Let's just the Spice Girls fans are jealous of steps. 

They Care about the band,  the fans etc 

The steps reunion was never about the money. 

Yes they take time off, but come back refreshed and ready to give pop music the needed pure pop (as okder British fans call steps qbd Kylie Minogue music). 

Since the 2011 reunion,  they gave 4 studio albums and entered a highly battle for number one this year with Madonna,  though Madonna slowly outsold steps and the number 2 album as the second week saw Madonna In the top 20 at number 18, steps went to number 21, after going at number one. 

5 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Let's just the Spice Girls fans are jealous of steps. 

They Care about the band,  the fans etc 

The steps reunion was never about the money. 

Yes they take time off, but come back refreshed and ready to give pop music the needed pure pop (as okder British fans call steps qbd Kylie Minogue music). 

Since the 2011 reunion,  they gave 4 studio albums and entered a highly battle for number one this year with Madonna,  though Madonna slowly outsold steps and the number 2 album as the second week saw Madonna In the top 20 at number 18, steps went to number 21, after going at number one. 

Wow, that’s really cool.  I had no idea they were doing so well there!

They all seem to really enjoy what they are doing as well, like they aren’t forced to be around each other.

3 minutes ago, Ehju0901 said:

That’s awesome.  I kinda wish they would have caught on here.  They are more talented than my first impression of them.

Their music isn't the sort of thing that does well in the US, they were lucky to have some minor success at first. I think supporting Britney on the Baby One More Time tour helped them a bit.

Just now, Isla said:

Their music isn't the sort of thing that does well in the US, they were lucky to have some minor success at first. I think supporting Britney on the Baby One More Time tour helped them a bit.

It's like Kylie Minogue,  way to camp for the US,  most of Europe pop acts have that.

Spice Girls was able to Cos Virgin marketed them towards teens and kids and that's why it worked,  if they did market them like steps and other acts it would have bombed.  

However it pisses people off as this was why they were written as a joke even though they Said songs like last time lover, Naked and 2 Become 1 wasn't kid friendly at all.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

It's like Kylie Minogue,  way to camp for the US,  most of Europe pop acts have that.

Spice Girls was able to Cos Virgin marketed them towards teens and kids and that's why it worked,  if they did market them like steps and other acts it would have bombed.  

However it pisses people off as this was why they were written as a joke even though they Said songs like last time lover, Naked and 2 Become 1 wasn't kid friendly at all.

The Spice Girls definitely seemed to be marketed towards the kids/pre-teen audience even though none of the members were teens (and wasn't Geri 25 when Wannabe was released?) and there was the odd s£xual lyric in their songs too.

11 minutes ago, Ehju0901 said:

“Scared of the Dark” has been stuck in my head all day.  HOW WAS THIS SONG NOT HUGE?!

Steps aren't a streaming band,  they topped the iTunes charts, but while celebrate by stan bases , it's not the same as it was 15 years ago 

4 Minutes was number one on iTunes for 3 consecutive weeks in 2008.

Now an artist is lucky if their two days at number one on iTunes mm

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block