Should Britney go Independent?

I know, I know, Britney may not be up-to working right now, or ever, but hear me out.

She undeniably has a love for music and dance still… and hates the gruelling schedules and touring/pressure by the label to perform. 

All I see now is independent artists killing it, from Tinashe who writes all her own music, choreographs, has a hand in producing; to JoJo who does the same - neither one seems impacted by the lack of label and actually have produced cooler sounding authentic records, both seem absolutely liberated.

I understand the importance of a label from an airplay/finance perspective and how you may not be as commercial/mass popular as with one, but I genuinely think the tide is turning and artists are starting to swing the power balance - imagine the impact a massive star such as Britney would have if she took this route - sending a message to the industry. 

She would be in full control, work with whoever she wants, whenever she wants, perform as little or as much as she wants, have the artwork she wants, and we’d no doubt get some really amazing authentic work from her without industry pressures or Return on Investment being stressed. 

I think at this stage in her career it could be a stellar move and very much inline with how she wants to take back her power. I don’t think there’d be any risk of lack of airplay - fans will always seek out Britney's music as we always have, label or not, and let’s be honest, a huge name such as Britney will always make a trend of whatever she does - low rise jeans, Vegas Residences, being an independent artist. She has the brand equity, not the label. 

I think this would spark a passion in her to get creative and find that return to form, and I also think it would gain her mass respect from the industry once they see her pulling the strings for her own career and being so involved as both JoJo and Tinashe are with every aspect.

I could image a name change to Britney Asghari to signify a clean start and beginning of the new era, the gradual re-recording of albums With the vocal style/mix she originally intended, an unreleased ‘cutting room floor’ album of rarities, and a brand new album along the lines of ‘Reinstated’ to signify the taking back of her career, on her terms. Promotion (if she wanted any) would be easy to get, nobody is turning down an interview with the queen.

Thoughts? 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Brit52 said:

I'm not against her going independently but the second half of your post is delusional

She's never going to re-record her old albums

She's always been one about moving forward, and I defiently don't forsee that changing anytime soon

The rerecording was just an optional nice to have 🤣 but it would be equally as powerful to just draw a line under the past albums and change direction so we can see the influence the labels had on her.

I just note that several times she has said she didn’t get the remix she wanted and that Baby one more time video where she gave it a different vibe, perhaps re-recording not every album, but a selection of hits to take back ownership and re-write this idea of her as a talentless bimbo would be cool, but yes not every album that’s overkill. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, blackingouthenegativity said:

Yes

We got a preview of what that could look like with Blackout and the results were good. IF and only IF she decides to perform again, to have the ability to pre-tape her own performances, her own music videos, etc. would be better for continuing in the industry without being sucked back into the worst parts of it. 

Yeah I agree completely, in my head I don’t see Britney’s relationship with her current or future label being sustainable. 
To be honest I think the only reason she hasn’t been dropped from RCA after not working in 6 years and no plans to is due to how bad it would look on them given the circumstances. 

I don’t ever see with what Britney has been through ever again wanting to take others direction or be told no, or be obliged to X number of albums in X years, she wants rid of the expectation and commitment I believe, I just think it would suit her so much. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I would rather her have her own imprint/label and she would partner with a mainstream label for the benefit, it work for other artists

Madonna (Maverick) erotica to american life

Janet (flyte tyme/ rhythm nation) unbreakable number 1 album after 7 year hiatus

Beyonce (Parkwood) 4 up now

Solange (Saint) a Seat at the table parted with columbia/ 1st number album and won her first grammy

Rihanna ( Westbury Road) anti 

Jojo ( Clover Music) good to know up til now

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, BlackoutITZ said:

How come y'all think she could just choose to go independent like RCA are just going to forget about her record contract? :blol_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao:

Very valid point, I just can’t see her returning in a hurry to fulfil that contract, at some point RCA will likely cut ties if a return isn’t made soon. She could also buy herself out of the contract likely, they could agree to part ways mutually, she might find that she begins to record another album and the label get annoyed by her lack of willingness to cooperate with their ideas and it go sour, etc…

• Love 2
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, Brad90210 said:

Very valid point, I just can’t see her returning in a hurry to fulfil that contract, at some point RCA will likely cut ties if a return isn’t made soon. She could also buy herself out of the contract likely, they could agree to part ways mutually, she might find that she begins to record another album and the label get annoyed by her lack of willingness to cooperate with their ideas and it go sour, etc…

I highly doubt that RCA/Sony would willingly let Britney Spears go, regardless if she is making new music or not. They still won't even let Kesha go, even after the PR nightmare of the Dr Luke situation and the fact that it has affected the trajectory of her career, and she isn't even as profitable of an artist as Britney.

I can't see her returning in a hurry to fulfil the contract either, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if Britney has no interest in working with her label considering they were also complicit in the conservatorship exploiting her for so many years. In theory she could fight to get out of the contract by arguing that the contract is legally void due to it being signed while she was under conservatorship and therefore technically not her own choice, or that she was made to sign it under duress but it would probably take years and a lot of money to fight in court. Who knows, perhaps Britney doesn't have an issue with her label, we don't really know... but I don't think it would be just as simple as her leaving or RCA/Sony choosing to let her go, and there's every chance she isn't even having these thoughts at this point in time.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Brad90210 said:

I think going silently into the night is the best option for RCA. Fans would be sceptical of any record, as it would be forced and wouldn't look good. I would also be interested in if Britney Spears could file and win a lawsuit stating the contract should technically be null and void since I'm assuming threats would have been made to make her acquiesce, or she didn't actually sign the contract.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, BlackoutITZ said:

I highly doubt that RCA/Sony would willingly let Britney Spears go, regardless if she is making new music or not. They still won't even let Kesha go, even after the PR nightmare of the Dr Luke situation and the fact that it has affected the trajectory of her career, and she isn't even as profitable of an artist as Britney.

I can't see her returning in a hurry to fulfil the contract either, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if Britney has no interest in working with her label considering they were also complicit in the conservatorship exploiting her for so many years. In theory she could fight to get out of the contract by arguing that the contract is legally void due to it being signed while she was under conservatorship and therefore technically not her own choice, or that she was made to sign it under duress but it would probably take years and a lot of money to fight in court. Who knows, perhaps Britney doesn't have an issue with her label, we don't really know... but I don't think it would be just as simple as her leaving or RCA/Sony choosing to let her go, and there's every chance she isn't even having these thoughts at this point in time.

She could meet the contract with x carppy albums of remixes or kiddy stories, which RCA might decide aren't worth releasing. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.