This Day in Pop: Britney Spears releases 'Me Against the Music' single featuring Madonna in 2003 (October 14)

71B7Hhi6NvL._SL1500_.jpg

On October 14, 2003, Britney Spears released Me Against the Music, featuring Madonna, as the lead single off her fourth studio album In the Zone. It was written by Britney, Madonna, Christopher "Tricky" Stewart, Thabiso "Tab" Nikhereanye, Penelope Magnet, Terius Nash and Gary O'Brien and produced by Trixster and Magnet.

The song was originally recorded as a solo track, but when Madonna heard it during the VMA's 03 performance, she really liked it and jumped on it:

"I was in the middle of rehearsals for the VMAs and I played her the song, and she was like, 'That's your first single, right?' " Britney recalled. "I was like, 'Yeah, hopefully.' She was like, 'I really like it.' I was like, 'Really?' I was like, 'Well, you wanna do it with me?' She said, 'Yeah.' "

It went Top 5 in almost every country it charted, including 5 #1's. In the US, though it hit the #1 on the Dance Club Songs chart, it only peaked at #35 on the BBH100, marking also Madonna's 50th entry on this chart, and the first time that she appeared credited as a featured artist.

e943d4a12058ad8e93804d2810318354.jpg

The music video was released on October 21st, but we'll celebrate that later.

Britney performed the song in several tv shows around the world to promote it, as well as the American Music Awards and several of her tours. 

• Love 4

I remember forcing my ears to like this song..

Icarly GIF by Paramount+

it ended up working but I don’t go back to it often. Its not even in my top 5 off “In The Zone” but Britney clearly loved it and the performances were some of her best. She ate every one, but my fav was the SNL one which is rare to find. 

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block