Female Artists of the 21st Century: YEAR 2002 EDITION

FEMALE ARTISTS OF THE THE 21ST CENTURY: YEAR 2002 EDITION  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

1, Celine Dion - A New Day Has Come

2, Avril Lavigne - Complicated

3, Christina Aguilera - Dirrty

4, Jennifer Lopez - Jenny From The Block

5, Madonna - Die Another Day

I haven't heard most of these songs actually but I really do love Celine's song. The rest of my top 5 are ok songs but not favorites.

Jenny is a bop though.

As for Shakira's Underneath Your Clothes, she is an artist I love but that song is so uninteresting. 

Your Top 5 is pretty solid. :matches: And yes, “ANDHC” is heavenly. Such an amazing and powerful song. :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad: The only part I strongly disagree with is “UYC”. That song is so INCREDIBLE and by far, one of my all-time favorite Shakira songs, how dare you. :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad: :drag_tiffany_ny_new_york_miss_ms_fight_pull_push_mad:

• Love 1
  • Content Curators
16 minutes ago, Joshyworld said:

Your Top 5 is pretty solid. :matches: And yes, “ANDHC” is heavenly. Such an amazing and powerful song. :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad: The only part I strongly disagree with is “UYC”. That song is so INCREDIBLE and by far, one of my all-time favorite Shakira songs, how dare you. :yasqueen_yes_wow_crying_praise_tears_wipe_sad: :drag_tiffany_ny_new_york_miss_ms_fight_pull_push_mad:

I dare, yes I do :byetina_xtina_Christina_aguilera_pink_leave_bye_walk_leave_carpet_cheetah_hat:

Joshy are you Godna? 

I like the guitar at the beginning :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink: but it's exaclty that part, it sets a mood like it's going to be a deep heart wrenching ballad that would leave you in tears on the floor with your mascara rolling down from your eyes but, it doesn't. Lyrically it's cute though but, a little chessy.:gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink:

Edited by Midnight
  • Like 1

I wanna be there when you touch fire

1 hour ago, Joshyworld said:

She has an annoying voice but let’s not pretend that she isn’t one of the most influential artists of the 21st century with multiple hits under her belt. Guess somebody doesn’t know their music history. :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer:

Just bcuz you guys like her doesn't mean she's the artist of the century , nobody knows her songs besides complicated...... I'm not talking about this forum specifically but on the GP knowledge of music , she's a talentless *** who used to be mean to everybody and now where is she ? Well nowhere.....

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, ExXL said:

Just bcuz you guys like her doesn't mean she's the artist of the century , nobody knows her songs besides complicated...... I'm not talking about this forum specifically but on the GP knowledge of music , she's a talentless *** who used to be mean to everybody and now where is she ? Well nowhere.....

Right, no one knows 'Sk8r Boi' or 'Girlfriend.' :hahaha_tiffany_ny_new_york_ms_miss_cackle_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao: No one would call her the artist of the century. Quite a few women are listed, some who had more success than Avril, and one that wasn't even a very successful singer, Jennifer Love Hewitt.

@Joshyworld I'm a Shakira fan and don't much care for 'Underneath Your Clothes.' On that album I prefer 'Poem to a Horse.' And the perfection of 'Whenever, Wherever' as an entry to the Anglo market can't be overstated. That song was such a surprise to me. So exotic and foreign, but the USA loved it! 

12 hours ago, Midnight said:

I dare, yes I do :byetina_xtina_Christina_aguilera_pink_leave_bye_walk_leave_carpet_cheetah_hat:

Joshy are you Godna? 

I like the guitar at the beginning :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink: but it's exaclty that part, it sets a mood like it's going to be a deep heart wrenching ballad that would leave you in tears on the floor with your mascara rolling down from your eyes but, it doesn't. Lyrically it's cute though but, a little chessy.:gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink:

Yes, this is GODNA speaking. I’m in my ‘I’m a mom now’ era. :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink: And safe to say that “UYC” is making a cute little redemption, we need the rest of the Exhale Latino Club in this thread. :byetina_xtina_Christina_aguilera_pink_leave_bye_walk_leave_carpet_cheetah_hat: 

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, IsraeliMatt said:

Right, no one knows 'Sk8r Boi' or 'Girlfriend.' :hahaha_tiffany_ny_new_york_ms_miss_cackle_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao: No one would call her the artist of the century. Quite a few women are listed, some who had more success than Avril, and one that wasn't even a very successful singer, Jennifer Love Hewitt.

@Joshyworld I'm a Shakira fan and don't much care for 'Underneath Your Clothes.' On that album I prefer 'Poem to a Horse.' And the perfection of 'Whenever, Wherever' as an entry to the Anglo market can't be overstated. That song was such a surprise to me. So exotic and foreign, but the USA loved it! 

‘PTAH’ is awful though. :ugh_britney_disgust_gross_ew: ‘UYC’ has a stunning melody and the arrangement is exceptionally outstanding. ‘Whenever, Wherever’ was my first introduction to Shakira however. I was in the first or second grade and I faintly remember hearing the song everywhere I went. It was the perfect blend of world, Latin and pop to help her crossover into the mainstream market. Truly a massive pop culture event and cultural reset.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Joshyworld said:

‘PTAH’ is awful though. :ugh_britney_disgust_gross_ew: ‘UYC’ has a stunning melody and the arrangement is exceptionally outstanding. ‘Whenever, Wherever’ was my first introduction to Shakira however. I was in the first or second grade and I faintly remember hearing the song everywhere I went. It was the perfect blend of world, Latin and pop to help her crossover into the mainstream market and become a cultural reset. Truly a massive pop culture moment and event. 

To this day I find it really surprising how huge Shakira's crossover into the US was despite her music being so foreign. 4 of the 13 tracks on 'Laundry Service' were in Spanish, two of which didn't even have an English version on the album, they weren't tacked on as the last four tracks, and one song included Arabic chanting. She could've tried to blend into the mold of what Anglo artists were doing, but she rolled the dice, and it worked! 'La Tortura' hit #22 in the US a few years later, which was an unprecedented success for a Spanish-language song! She's the pinnacle of crossing over from the Latin world to Anglo market! :matches::kylie_proud_yes_wow_impressive_amazing: 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, IsraeliMatt said:

To this day I find it really surprising how huge Shakira's crossover into the US was despite her music being so foreign. 4 of the 13 tracks on 'Laundry Service' were in Spanish, two of which didn't even have an English version on the album, they weren't tacked on as the last four tracks, and one song included Arabic chanting. She could've tried to blend into the mold of what Anglo artists were doing, but she rolled the dice, and it worked! 'La Tortura' hit #22 in the US a few years later, which was an unprecedented success for a Spanish-language song! She's the pinnacle of crossing over from the Latin world to Anglo market! :matches::kylie_proud_yes_wow_impressive_amazing: 

It was only bound to happen. The Anglo market was ready for someone like Shakira and she delivered. It was truly the perfect timing too. :kylie_proud_yes_wow_impressive_amazing:

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block