Kim Petras Shades Billie Eilish When Pitchfork Criticises Katy Perry’s Teenage Dream Album

Cqleb

Doesn't make sense considering that Pitchfork isn't kind to Billie :orangu_orangutan_ape: Billie would've pretty much been in the 90s alongside Beyonce and Lorde as the only pop women with a 90%+ album if Pitchfork didn't bring down the score of Happier Than Ever :juggingu_britney_hat_meme_neyde: So no Kim that isn't the case..

Plus, as much as I am a fan of Katy, the score is pretty adequate though in my opinion, the singles alone of the record elevate it to 7.5-8 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Doesn't make sense considering that Pitchfork isn't kind to Billie :orangu_orangutan_ape: Billie would've pretty much been in the 90s alongside Beyonce and Lorde as the only pop women with a 90%+ album if Pitchfork didn't bring down the score of Happier Than Ever :juggingu_britney_hat_meme_neyde: So no Kim that isn't the case..

Plus, as much as I am a fan of Katy, the score is pretty adequate though in my opinion, the singles alone of the record elevate it to 7.5-8 

• Love 2

Guys, let's be honest and put our bias/nostalgia towards 2010s mainstream pop aside for a second. As an album, Teenage Dream's only redeeming songs are "Teenage Dream", "Last Friday Night", "Firework, "The One That Got Away" and "E.T." -- basically almost all the singles which are pop masterpieces. No ands, but or ifs. "E.T." alone is one of the greatest pop songs of all time. Again, masterpieces.

Now -- songs like "California Gurls" are ICONIC 2010s pop anthems, absolutely (so was "Gangnam Style", "Boom Boom Pow", "Roar", "Love the Way You Lie", "I Gotta Feeling", "Shake it Of", "Hey Soul Sister", etc.) BUT just because a song is popular or deemed as iconic doesn't necessarily mean it's a song of quality and this is where "Teenage Dream" as an album falls short. Katy's voice sounds GRATING on a majority of the NON-SINGLE tracks. The NON-SINGLES are all pretty outdated, disposable and weigh the album down. Unfortunately, delusional Katy stans and early 2010s pop enthusiasts who are stuck in the past (some in this thread even) have convinced themselves and overhyped this album as some sort of pop bible (just like Britney stans did with Blackout) when the reality is the album, as an OVERALL body of work, is simply not that good and is extremely generic.

I mean. Do people really think songs like "I wanna see your peacock" or the rest of the forgettable album tracks are any good when it's all just some generic, disposable Dr. Luke and co. bullcrap being churned out? I'd even argue and say that Femme Fatale's album tracks are stronger which was under the same hit-factory of Dr. Luke, yet only one seems to get critical acclaim. Again, commercial hits/popularity /= quality. Albums like Born To Die have now out-streamed Teenage Dream in 2022, despite the latter having hardly any commercial hits. Albums like BTD for example were a critique of Dr. Luke's albums. That alone speaks volume. 

• Love 2
  • Like 4

It`s an age old debate about what is good and what is not. High-brow, low-brow blah blah blah. I actually think Katy made solid pop, but nothing transformational. It´s like easy to digest and sell, package and market. Is it a sin? No, but she didn`t make no Thriller or Bohemian Rhapsody, at all. 

Now, when a singer, no matter their level of success, comes out with these statements they just sound a bit resented. It reminds me of Avril Lavigne bullying Britney. We all know why she did it. So Kim, yeah, for whatever reason, you don`t have the level of success Billie has. So be it. 

• Love 3
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block