How Do You Copyright Your Music?

I'm learning more and more as an aspiring producer/artist to make my **** legit. 

How do I copyright my songs? I'm sure I need to do this before adding my work on Spotify and Apple Music. 

Serious answers only please. If you don't like my work, you don't have to listen. 

Thanks y'all!

Spoiler

'THE REAL ME' my new EP out now! ⛈️⛈️⛈️

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, jordeezy said:

The gov copyright website. It's $50 to copyright a set of songs. Be sure to have an LQ small file version of your track to submit to them as well. You will need to register with a performing rights organization to get royalties for public plays of your tracks too. Of course, PRO is mostly for Dis and airplay. 

What are royalties? 😱

11 minutes ago, The JayTawndre Show said:

What are royalties? 😱

Royalties are for if your music is used in live performances. It's really complicated. Like bars and stuff- they are supposed to pay Performing Rights agency dues and turn in playlists so that artists get paid for these public events. The main ones are ASCAP and BMI. If u mainly just want your music on streaming platforms then just do the copyright and then the distributor. If u play to license your music for TV or public performance then a performance rights org is necessary. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jordeezy said:

Royalties are for if your music is used in live performances. It's really complicated. Like bars and stuff- they are supposed to pay Performing Rights agency dues and turn in playlists so that artists get paid for these public events. The main ones are ASCAP and BMI. If u mainly just want your music on streaming platforms then just do the copyright and then the distributor. If u play to license your music for TV or public performance then a performance rights org is necessary. 

So first step is what? I'm sorry! You're being super helpful! 🙏

36 minutes ago, The JayTawndre Show said:
37 minutes ago, The JayTawndre Show said:

Okay perfect will do! So it's a total of how much altogether? If I just wanna be paid for my songs streaming or people buying them on iTunes? 

$50 for the copyright of a group of tracks of you have them all done at the same time to submit to the copyright office. The price used to be $20 but it went up. Then Distrokid is $20 a year to distribute your music to most streaming platforms they don't put it on Tiktok tho. I learned all that I know from YouTube and doing it myself. I'm not an expert 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block