Why do you think Britney stopped singing live?

3 minutes ago, Sia said:

Let’s be real…her vocals were never strong and with the added dancing, she just couldn’t do it consistently so the use of playback became the norm.

In the earlier performances she sounded fine but she didn’t dance as much and as the dancing got more intense, she had to stop signing. 
I might get hate for this but she’s just not a consistent vocalist. Even in earlier performances where she’s standing still, her vocals were shaky so adding movement would just not work.

At the end of the day, I think Britney is aware of her limitations and doesn’t try to go outside of her comfort zone nor make us think otherwise.

It just is what it is…

As a child and on the Mickey Mouse club, she demonstrated exceptional charisma and vocal ability, and she incorporated a lot of movement into those early performances.

I think she was a born performer with a lot of natural talent, but it has been surpressed by her industry and image.

It's clear from her instagram that she is still hard-wired to perform in her brain, but is too apprehensive to go back into the industry.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

She stopped singing live because her performance quality wasn’t up to par with other acts when she sang AND danced live. Both would suffer because the placement of her baby voice had no support from her diaphragm and you NEED that support to sing live and MOVE. This is why broadway singers sing and dance live so well, their voices are supported. And since Britney had such talent with dancing + she was making pop, the only way to get her performances top notch and to preserve her voice would be to prerecord vocals and really let her dance. Think about all of her iconic performances. They’re lipped while she dances full out. 

• Love 5
  • Like 1
  • Super Mods
45 minutes ago, Aymama said:

She stopped singing live because her performance quality wasn’t up to par with other acts when she sang AND danced live. Both would suffer because the placement of her baby voice had no support from her diaphragm and you NEED that support to sing live and MOVE. This is why broadway singers sing and dance live so well, they’re voices are supported. And since Britney had such talent with dancing + she was making pop, the only way to get her performances top notch and to preserve her voice would be to prerecord vocals and really let her dance. Think about all of her iconic performances. They’re lipped while she dances full out. 

She is an amazing dancer :shaking_shake_gold_yellow:

• Love 1

Well, to be honest, I don't think Britney can perform live anymore and she knows it . Her voice is not very strong, she has some breathing issues, and there's been a lot of damage through the years. She can hit some notes if she is not doing any excessive movements.

Just look at her concerts and you can see clearly her voice lacks strength. When she stops the lipsynck and talks to the audience her voice usually cracks, while just talking.

I do think,  though, she could do a lot better if she adapts her singing style to her current limitations. Everytime she sings live she tries to sing like those big vocalists. If she sings more in the style of Selena Gomez and less as Xtina, she might do just fine. 

• Love 2
  • Like 2
  • Super Mods

Ooh great thread @GlitterRain

btw my computer is working again, so i can come on now.

Anyways I do think at first she stopped singing live cause her music/career became more dance-oriented and she decided to focus more on the performing part then singing.

However once the conservatorship became permanent

she pretty much gave up and didnt give af about live vocals,

which I can understand. It must've sucked to have to be forced to perform

for 13 years and not get ANY money from it.

Hopefully if she does release more music or perform again,

that it'll be cause she wants to and cause she's passionate about it

• Love 1
On 9/27/2022 at 5:39 PM, Joshyworld said:

Because by 2007/08, her voice was likely damaged from singing in an unnatural tone for years and she was @OverIt 

:frenchy_britney_u_sure_ff_femme_fatale_you_look:

That's because it takes lots of time, and they made very often music with the way and vocal edits what is not possible sing live. But I still at 20 tracks concert they can bring 10 numbers for singing live with no problem with re-worked songs.

• Super Mods
5 hours ago, princessmimi said:

Ooh great thread @GlitterRain

btw my computer is working again, so i can come on now.

Anyways I do think at first she stopped singing live cause her music/career became more dance-oriented and she decided to focus more on the performing part then singing.

However once the conservatorship became permanent

she pretty much gave up and didnt give af about live vocals,

which I can understand. It must've sucked to have to be forced to perform

for 13 years and not get ANY money from it.

Hopefully if she does release more music or perform again,

that it'll be cause she wants to and cause she's passionate about it

Nice to hear from you @princessmimi🤍

• Love 1

During BOMT era she sang live, but she couldnt sing well because she was dancing, and she couldnt dance well because she was singing, and ended up not doing a great job at both.

You can see how BOMT dance rehearsal was amazing, but on stage it wasnt as good.

Oops era she danced harder, and her voice even got worse as you can see from the Oops tour.

Her dancing ability was so addicting to watch that I think they made the calculation to lip sync so she go at it 100% on the choreo. 

Plus she wasn't the first person to lip sync. Madonna didn't even wear a microphone for some VMA performances. 

Although it would be great to hear her live voice more. She does have a good voice that is under appreciated. 

Tbh, she never had a good vocal performance. TBGO with the black wig is still her best live performance and it’s mediocre at best. Although I enjoy that performance and her voice, she’s an average singer.

Because there is no suppers her voice was always cracking and sounded pitchy. I guess that’s the reason she stopped singing.

The weird thing is she was a good singer when she was a child, where did that voice go? Even when she’s singing now on instagram it sounds cranky and pitchy.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, s&m said:

she sounds exactly like 2001ney

She does, but even in this short video you hear her voice cracking , like it’s broken. Hopefully she can fix this..

Dont come with the argument that it’s just for fun, even my voice isn’t cracking when I sing in the showers and I’m not a professional singer

• Like 1

I think she tried singing live as much as she could in 1999 and 2000 but (and this is my opinion) given her media-imposed-rivalry with Christina, she might have felt it was not worth it to try to outsing her and decided to focus on her dancing and putting on a show skills. And it turned out great for her. She became a staple artist and performer of her generation barely singing live. 

I still wish ballads would have been at least half live with pre-recorded vocals but oh well :lostney_britney_what_confused_huh_who_looking_around_glory:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block