Why was Mary J Blige so disgusted by Britney's 2003 VMA performance?

Cancer

3 hours ago, fays1 said:

Britney, Christina, and Missy are all victims of Madonna because they role played a performance? :umwtf_britney_wth_um_wow_eyes_big_okay: how old are you guys? 

Not victims, necessarily...but Madonna was careful to present them as underlings and less important than her. It wasn't a passing of the torch, rather it was strategical optics - make the younger generation look subservient to their master!

Madonna is a tyrant who rules the music industry with brute force and aggression.

• Haha 2

Britney and Mary, have always had love and a mutual respect for each other. She was shading Christina. She went on a radio show a little before this performance happened, and said basically how Christina was disrespectful towards her when they met.. and she actually praised Britney for being such a kind and good person. And said that Britney would go further than Christina, bc she was a good person and knew how to treat people. Im sure the clip is on YouTube, u can find it… if u type Mary j blidge shade Christina Aguilera lol.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Not victims, necessarily...but Madonna was careful to present them as underlings and less important than her. It wasn't a passing of the torch, rather it was strategical optics - make the younger generation look subservient to their master!

Madonna is a tyrant who rules the music industry with brute force and aggression.

Madonna did the hard work, it's not her fault Paula Abdul and countless copies including Michelle visage FAILED at doing what she did best, evolve with the times of music landscapes, still is today especially in club music trends..

6 hours ago, Cancer said:

If you watch this performance, the camera pans to a number of celebs who have various reactions. Beyonce and Paris Hilton look playful, 50 cent and Eminem look indifferent, Avril Lavigne looks envious, Justin Timberlake looks like he's going to explode.

However the most interesting reaction is Mary J Blige, who exhibits disgust and unease throughout the whole performance. Why was she so uneasy? Did she think Madonna was exploiting Britney, or was she put off by Aguilera?

I swear, some of you are champions in overhinking 😂

Both Christina and Britney were still fresh on the scene. They still had to prove their status. They both got a lot of hate in the beginning of their careers.

I remember this moment, I think she generally just wasn’t into the whole performance. The Xtina shade though I understand cus tons of celebs don’t like her. 

Also Mary J has said numerous times how much she adores Britney. 

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Have you read quotes about Madonna in Britney,,she saw someone that stood out, but was to beautiful that people didn't know how to talk to her and she needed a friend.

Unlike gaga, it was nothing but love and mutual respect, I was 16 at the Time, you're adding a narrative that nobody saw.

Imagination is a great thing.

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

Britney and Christina are much lesser than Madonna, and still are lesser than her. And this is coming from someone like me who dislikes Madonna. Madonna was not careful about it, she did it in an obvious way and Britney and Christina felt honored. This doesnt make Madonna a tyrant ruler using force and aggression!!!

Is something wrong with you, the way you talk about it makes me think you are traumatized or something? its really weirding me out

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block