Jump to content

Why was Mary J Blige so disgusted by Britney's 2003 VMA performance?


Recommended Posts

If you watch this performance, the camera pans to a number of celebs who have various reactions. Beyonce and Paris Hilton look playful, 50 cent and Eminem look indifferent, Avril Lavigne looks envious, Justin Timberlake looks like he's going to explode.

However the most interesting reaction is Mary J Blige, who exhibits disgust and unease throughout the whole performance. Why was she so uneasy? Did she think Madonna was exploiting Britney, or was she put off by Aguilera?

Link to comment

Obviously because she doesnt respect Pop stars without vocal ability using their ***uality and shock factor to get attention. This is not my opinion, but im sure thats what someone like Mary is thinking. Britney and Christina were also still new artists who havent proven themselves yet, I dont think Mary would have the same reaction today.
 

Link to comment

I Heard lately that she's homophobic so maybe that's the reason... And isn't She in the Lou Taylor team under trisport? That would explain a lot of things.... She even said something not só nice about Trans community of I remember correctly. 

  • Haha 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Kaitlyn Johnson said:

It was a bit try hard on all their parts. I still cringe when i watch it too. None of them needed to lower themselves for the shock moment. 

It was especially degrading for Britney, Xtina and Missy, who come across as Madonna's slaves / background dancers. Madonna made a power play to control those poor women.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
49 minutes ago, Gioney said:

I Heard lately that she's homophobic so maybe that's the reason... And isn't She in the Lou Taylor team under trisport? That would explain a lot of things.... She even said something not só nice about Trans community of I remember correctly. 

You are loosely throwing accusation left and right without having correct memory? lol

and her being under Lou management doesnt explain anything

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Cancer said:

It was especially degrading for Britney, Xtina and Missy, who come across as Madonna's slaves / background dancers. Madonna made a power play to control those poor women.

Britney, Christina, and Missy are all victims of Madonna because they role played a performance? :umwtf_britney_wth_um_wow_eyes_big_okay: how old are you guys? 

  • Love 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Cancer said:

If you watch this performance, the camera pans to a number of celebs who have various reactions. Beyonce and Paris Hilton look playful, 50 cent and Eminem look indifferent, Avril Lavigne looks envious, Justin Timberlake looks like he's going to explode.

However the most interesting reaction is Mary J Blige, who exhibits disgust and unease throughout the whole performance. Why was she so uneasy? Did she think Madonna was exploiting Britney, or was she put off by Aguilera?

She was probably put off by two women kissing 

  • Haha 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I think it was because of Christina. I remember Mary saying something like Chrtistina meeting her and pulling her hand out for Mary to kiss and she was like who the hell do you think you are. You may have a bigger voice than Britney but Britney is gonna be more succesfull cause she has a kind heart and respects people.

Something in that way was said by Mary, don't quote me word for word, Google it lol

  • Love 2
Link to comment

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Guest
Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...