Criminal: Britney's biggest sleeper hit ever?

5 hours ago, GlitterRain said:

How dare you!!!!! Criminal is iconic. I was rooting for you. We were all rooting for you :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

edit: not me not having a single clue what a sleeper hit was and thinking it meant a flop song :chershade_red_wig_oh_hair_hmm:

A sleeper hit just means a song that becomes bigger over time. Work B was the definition of a sleeper hit. The fans didn't like it at first, the song peaked at #12 in the Hot 100 and then PLUMMETED, and the video wasn't that well-received. But Britney kept doing interviews for it, skits for it, it showed up in like 20 tv shows in 2 months (including New Girl, which was huge at the time) and now it's considered one of her signature hits.

It created longevity for itself, which became legacy.

While Criminal did not have longevity, it is creating legacy.

Movies are sleeper hits..

The 1996 Slasher Scream that's a sleeper hit..

It opened at number 6, they thought it flopped, Wes Craven said oh no. It's a hit give it Time, he's right, it's now one of the best loved Horror film's seen as the one that gave the dying genre new life after the era of straight to video, and from I know what you did last summer to urban legend spun it's own cash in craze, but none as iconic or relevant as Scream.

We're getting a sixth film, name me another 90s franchise that's for adults and defined generation x and millennials pop culture as this was many millennials middle school first r Rated film in theaters, which British people are shocked I at 12 was allowed to see scream,I guess 18 is super strict can't even go with a guardian.

@Slayer 

So sleeper hit isn't a bad thing, I guess in music it just takes longer for word of mouth..

7 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

A few years ago when my niece was like 5/6 I heard her singing Criminal. I was shocked because it was a Britney song but an older song. I asked her how does she know that song and she played me this YouTube video with like anime art but criminal was made into like a creepy remix. And I don’t know what those kinds of videos are called but I guess they were huge with her age range. 

Then a few years later Criminal because a hit on TikTok because of some trend. Very cringey but hey it got Britney’s song exposure.

I think that’s why it has so many streams! The youth just keeps repurposing it and I’m here for it! 

Girl im sorry but how are you describing nightcore like that. And not u calling a tiktok boosted hit cringey. Sometimes I forget u guys are probably 30+

• Haha 1

The video is like a Netflix drama in 6 minutes..its entertaining.. britney is down to earth and humble..

Girls relate to britney in the video.  Sad but true.. in a generation raised by tictok and social media and reality tv, lines like "lets see that pretty little face huh..? Look me in the face and dont disrepect me' followed by britney crying as she puts on perfume then coming back with the line "so your not working the street corner tonight i see"

Its britneys most british themed music video.. in the sense Rihannas "we found love" was also very british..

It wasnt acknowledged much back then but todays generation seem to like the british theme.. it makes it relatable..

Everyone likes a bad boy ..especially in this day and age when everything's ****ed up and 16 is like the new 25

I think the song has long-term success because the Song has replay value  ..its a decent song.  The video is amazing.. and britney has a way to make it relatable 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block