Music Videos Still Matter In 2022?

In the age of Tik Tok and way past the glorious days of MTV, I got me thinking: Does music videos still has a place in this age of rapid videos on Tik Tok? 

Beyoncé released its much anticipated album last July and while with two singles already out she didn’t shoot any video yet. Also, there’s rumour Britney/Elton collaboration would birth a video but no news yet despite its success.

We talk a lot about streaming numbers on Spotify like that one that only matters.

Does music video lost its magic? 

Spill on the comments. 

I'm a music prude who is still a firm believer that every single should have a music video.

But I'm kinda in the middle when I answer this question. Songs can still do well without a music video if they go viral on TikTok and get playlisted well on Spotify. But there's still some music videos that have gone 'viral' themselves (e.g. WAP is a good example of this), and obviously, K-Pop artists are continuing to release music videos that achieve high amounts of views.

12 minutes ago, PinkBarbie said:

Unpopular opinion: The peak of music videos weren't in MTV era 

The peak of music videos was during the peak of Vevo (2010-2017)

I think videos are still relevant but not as much as they were in 2010-2017

That's an interesting view. There was a lot of iconic music videos that emerged during the so-called 'MTV' era in the 80s though, but yeah, back in 2010-2017 it seemed a lot of artists were making music videos for the sole purpose of going viral and getting their fans talking, which led to high views. Gangnam Style, Born This Way, Till the World Ends, Roar, We Can't Stop, Wrecking Ball, We Found Love etc. Beyonce herself too, by making her self-titled and Lemonade 'visual albums', but there's been no music video for Break My Soul.

Yeah they definitely have, which is sad because I really love when artists get creative and invest in a really immersive era with a storyline and aesthetic that carries through the music, photoshoots, music videos, performances, and appearances. The last really great example of this that I can think of is The Weeknd’s After Hours era. 

I also think music videos just aren’t as good as they used to be. A lot of the high budget music videos feel very manufactured and fake to me which I hate. Like they just place the artists in front of these green screens and high budget sets and just dance around in that one scene for a verse, then it’s another scene. It almost feels like watching them performing on a very high budget play/musical stage instead of them actually being in a dynamic, lifelike scene. I hate it.

• Love 3

YouTube hasn't revolutionized itself as a website video platform and has suffered in TikTok's growing presence.

TikTok has also shortened people's attention span and patience and most cannot sit through a movie, let alone listen to a song longer than 3 minutes.

Why do you think most songs are less than 3 minutes?

Music videos are lucky to hit 30 million views these days.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Urbanney said:

Yeah they definitely have, which is sad because I really love when artists get creative and invest in a really immersive era with a storyline and aesthetic that carries through the music, photoshoots, music videos, performances, and appearances. The last really great example of this that I can think of is The Weeknd’s After Hours era. 

I also think music videos just aren’t as good as they used to be. A lot of the high budget music videos feel very manufactured and fake to me which I hate. Like they just place the artists in front of these green screens and high budget sets and just dance around in that one scene for a verse, then it’s another scene. It almost feels like watching them performing on a very high budget play/musical stage instead of them actually being in a dynamic, lifelike scene. I hate it.

Baby you need KPop in your life if you wanna see passionate artist and no models posing on green screens:

• Love 1

Yes :chrissy_xtina_head_tilt_purse_sass: I have to say that especially now that YT views are counted for both BB200 and H100 Vine Wtf GIF

BUT I have to say that the "relevance" is that they need to be released the day of the song's release OR during the first week, otherwise seems to not be "relevant":yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

PS. Kinda shock that Cardi's and Minaj's latest videos views were so low

5 minutes ago, HisNameisChase said:

I really shouldn't have to clarify but here we go:

Blackpink is a huge sensation and this is not surprising. The average music video is lucky to hit 30 million these days.

I thinks that's because KPop music put a lot of effort and work a lot for music videos, they are like 2000's pop.

BTS and other kpop bands can easily have 100 million in one day

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block