Did Jamie Lynn sign a recording contract with the Maloofs? : A Research Thread

Steel Magnolia

On 9/22/2022 at 11:57 AM, Steel Magnolia said:

What happens when you break a recording contract? 

What are the repercussions of that?

:calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what:

I believe (don't quote me on this), that the label gives you a certain amount of money, for things the artist and their team need for promotion etc... The money they give you is based on how well you do when the album or project is released. In that contract (most) labels have the right over your look, sound, and overall artistry. You sign a deal, you're stuck in that contract until you produce what you and that label agreed upon. Now you can get an attorney to go over the contract and find ways to bind that contract, but most of the time its going to cost you! Hope that helped!!! 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Amanda Lick said:

I believe (don't quote me on this), that the label gives you a certain amount of money, for things the artist and their team need for promotion etc... The money they give you is based on how well you do when the album or project is released. In that contract (most) labels have the right over your look, sound, and overall artistry. You sign a deal, you're stuck in that contract until you produce what you and that label agreed upon. Now you can get an attorney to go over the contract and find ways to bind that contract, but most of the time its going to cost you! Hope that helped!!! 

Thank you for the help!

I'm not sure what the dollar figure would have been back in 2006, for someone at the same stage of their career that JL was at, with the last name that she had...

But it sounds as if JL could have owed the Maloofs hundreds of thousands of dollars, or possibly more?

I'm assuming that she signed the contract with Maloof Productions around August 2006, not long after Tri Star Sports & Entertainment became her business manager. If she began recording around this time, she could have spent some of those funds by December 2007.

Either way, it sounds as if JL was indebted to the Maloofs and under the control of Lou just prior to the CON going into effect. 

:kidcries_crying_sad_tearing_up_sobbing:

For reference:

Aug. 30, 2006 - Sweet Jamie Music, Inc., owned by Jamie Lynn Spears, undergoes a Change of Officer.

Source: https://exhale.breatheheavy.com/forums/topic/804460-following-the-money-pre-conservatorship-a-research-thread/page/21/

Source: https://coraweb.sos.la.gov/commercialsearch/CommercialSearchDetails.aspx?CharterID=596353_C7394CAECA

Dec. 18, 2007 - Jamie Lynn Spears, along with her mother, Lynne Spears, confirm to OK! Magazine that the teenager is 12-weeks along with her first child.

Source: “Britney's Teen Sister Jamie Lynn Spears Pregnant,” People Staff, People, December 18, 2007.Accessed September 11, 2022 from https://people.com/parents/britneys-teen-sister-jamie-lynn-spears-pregnant/

6 minutes ago, Steel Magnolia said:

Thank you for the help!

I'm not sure what the dollar figure would have been back in 2006, for someone at the same stage of their career that JL was at, with the last name that she had...

But it sounds as if JL could have owed the Maloofs hundreds of thousands of dollars, or possibly more?

I'm assuming that she signed the contract with Maloof Productions around August 2006, not long after Tri Star Sports & Entertainment became her business manager. If she began recording around this time, she could have spent some of those funds by December 2007.

Either way, it sounds as if JL was indebted to the Maloofs and under the control of Lou just prior to the CON going into effect. 

:kidcries_crying_sad_tearing_up_sobbing:

For reference:

Aug. 30, 2006 - Sweet Jamie Music, Inc., owned by Jamie Lynn Spears, undergoes a Change of Officer.

Source: https://exhale.breatheheavy.com/forums/topic/804460-following-the-money-pre-conservatorship-a-research-thread/page/21/

Source: https://coraweb.sos.la.gov/commercialsearch/CommercialSearchDetails.aspx?CharterID=596353_C7394CAECA

Dec. 18, 2007 - Jamie Lynn Spears, along with her mother, Lynne Spears, confirm to OK! Magazine that the teenager is 12-weeks along with her first child.

Source: “Britney's Teen Sister Jamie Lynn Spears Pregnant,” People Staff, People, December 18, 2007.Accessed September 11, 2022 from https://people.com/parents/britneys-teen-sister-jamie-lynn-spears-pregnant/

I was just taking a second look at these papers. 

In 2006, Lynne's address is listed as Greenlaw Church road, not North Lewiston.

Her signature is present, but on a separate page.  I wonder if she was aware that all paperwork for Sweet Jamie Music was being sent to Jamie's address and not hers. And if so, why would she would agree to that? Was Bryan still acting as JL's talent manager?

• Love 1
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ghoulia said:

Her signature is present, but on a separate page.  I wonder if she was aware that all paperwork for Sweet Jamie Music was being sent to Jamie's address and not hers. And if so, why would she would agree to that? Was Bryan still acting as JL's talent manager?

Question...

If Bryan was her talent manager, what was Graciella Sanchez' role?

I'm guessing that Bryan wasn't actually her talent manager, but instead was a Co-Producer on Zoey 101.

Check the wording he's used on his IMDB profile:

"After Britney became famous, Bryan started working as a manager for Spears family interests, also as a producer for a number of Jamie Lynn's projects."

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1087328/

Just now, Steel Magnolia said:

Question...

If Bryan was her talent manager, what was Graciella Sanchez' role?

I'm guessing that Bryan wasn't actually her talent manager, but instead was a Co-Producer on Zoey 101.

Check the wording he's used on his IMDB profile:

"After Britney became famous, Bryan started working as a manager for Spears family interests, also as a producer for a number of Jamie Lynn's projects."

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1087328/

I've never been clear on what exactly Bryan's role was.  "Manager for Spears family interests" sounds about right, considering the way he was cut out from this role once the cship began.

Graciella & Bryan form BNS, Properties LLC in Mississippi in 2008. I think Bryan may have been scrambling for cash.  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Ghoulia said:

I've never been clear on what exactly Bryan's role was.  "Manager for Spears family interests" sounds about right, considering the way he was cut out from this role once the cship began.

Graciella & Bryan form BNS, Properties LLC in Mississippi in 2008. I think Bryan may have been scrambling for cash.  

He hinted at what his manager role was as "top cop" in that interview from July 23, 2020:

"We didn't have anyone that was overseeing the actual financial business development, next step kind of thing for Brit. We had managers, we had business managers, we had agents. Everything. But no one was looking at what the left hand was doing and looking at what the right hand was doing. There was no top cop, basically, who was looking out for her best interests. So we, as a family, as we always do, vote and come up with a family decision. We all thought that it would be a good idea for me to oversee all of it...Making sure money is being put away, new business is being formed, brands are being formed, trying to make money while we sleep so we're not so focused on having to tour." Bryan continues, "Looking at a situation...if I feel like I don't have a really good handle on it, or if I feel like I don't have the expertise to conquer it, I go and hire or find the person or company that can. So, I went and hired Ernst & Young out of Nashville, brought them in and did an entire audit of every single detail of her business from publishing to branding to merchandising...we had a huge doll line. Tour merch, and all of that. And I had those guys give me a report that showed me, and we all broke it down. And then I went back, assessed it, and then I wound up having to make a lot of adjustments after that." Interviewer: "So how did you feel when you got that report?" Bryan: "I was not very well liked, you could put it that way, amongst the team." Interviewer: "Did you give a rat's ***? I mean, if they're stealing from your sister?" Bryan: "Looking back on it, I did what was right." Interviewer: "What did you do? Did you clean house?" Bryan: "Ya. Everyone but the manager."

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS9Gyo7JdO8

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Steel Magnolia said:

He hinted at what his manager role was as "top cop" in that interview from July 23, 2020:

"We didn't have anyone that was overseeing the actual financial business development, next step kind of thing for Brit. We had managers, we had business managers, we had agents. Everything. But no one was looking at what the left hand was doing and looking at what the right hand was doing. There was no top cop, basically, who was looking out for her best interests. So we, as a family, as we always do, vote and come up with a family decision. We all thought that it would be a good idea for me to oversee all of it...Making sure money is being put away, new business is being formed, brands are being formed, trying to make money while we sleep so we're not so focused on having to tour." Bryan continues, "Looking at a situation...if I feel like I don't have a really good handle on it, or if I feel like I don't have the expertise to conquer it, I go and hire or find the person or company that can. So, I went and hired Ernst & Young out of Nashville, brought them in and did an entire audit of every single detail of her business from publishing to branding to merchandising...we had a huge doll line. Tour merch, and all of that. And I had those guys give me a report that showed me, and we all broke it down. And then I went back, assessed it, and then I wound up having to make a lot of adjustments after that." Interviewer: "So how did you feel when you got that report?" Bryan: "I was not very well liked, you could put it that way, amongst the team." Interviewer: "Did you give a rat's ***? I mean, if they're stealing from your sister?" Bryan: "Looking back on it, I did what was right." Interviewer: "What did you do? Did you clean house?" Bryan: "Ya. Everyone but the manager."

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS9Gyo7JdO8

So we know based on the Lou/Jeryll emails from 2008 that Bryan was iced out of this role. Graciella's Echo Lake talent agency links back to the same address from BNS Properties. https://www.cylex.us.com/company/echo-lake-entertainment-28341992.html

I don't think it was housed there for very long, but I do think Graciella used Bryan's __________ (former connections?) to launch her career. 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Ghoulia said:

@Ghoulia Again, I wish Britney could see what an iconic researcher you are!

What a great catch! :praisega_gaga_amazing_brilliant_show_stopping_showstopping_sunglasses_incredible_yas_Yes:

I need to add all of these little details into the Chronological Timeline because they paint a picture!

I'm about a week behind on my schoolwork... :wontcry_tears_crying_sad: But I'm hoping to set aside a day during Reading Week to get caught up on this.

• Love 1
Just now, Steel Magnolia said:

@Ghoulia Again, I wish Britney could see what an iconic researcher you are!

What a great catch! :praisega_gaga_amazing_brilliant_show_stopping_showstopping_sunglasses_incredible_yas_Yes:

I need to add all of these little details into the Chronological Timeline because they paint a picture!

I'm about a week behind on my schoolwork... :wontcry_tears_crying_sad: But I'm hoping to set aside a day during Reading Week to get caught up on this.

I'm sorry, I've been sleuthing more as a work avoidance technique at my day job 😬

• Haha 2
36 minutes ago, Ghoulia said:

Notice that June 1, 2006 date?

I hadn't seen that one before...

I'm guessing we can back up Lou's involvement to June 2006, and possibly earlier.

2 minutes ago, Steel Magnolia said:

Notice that June 1, 2006 date?

I hadn't seen that one before...

I'm guessing we can back up Lou's involvement to June 2006, and possibly earlier.

Related?

June 7, 2006 - US Weekly reports that Britney's family has hired a Christian life coach to assist in her decision to file for divorce from Kevin Federline.

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20201108011049/https://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/7078077.html

Source: https://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/gossip-archive/20306-britney-spears-seeks-guidance-christianity.html

• Love 2

Interesting...

I just realized it was the combo of the Matt Lauer interview and the "Christian life coach" article that made me start following Britney's story! I didn't become a fan of her music until Blackout, but I remember taking note of the life coach article even back then because there was a running theme of "control" beginning to develop in the summer of 2006.

:britlol_britney_surprised_wow_oh_shocked_choatic:

Anyway...

Look at the other events leading up to and just beyond that June 1, 2006 date:

Jan. 25, 2006 - Queens-born NBA player Ron Artest is traded from the Indiana Pacers to the Sacramento Kings. The Kings are owned by Las Vegas billionaire George Maloof.

Jan. 27, 2006 - Gawker reports that smoothie shop JJ Chill, owned by James Spears and Joseph Nejman, has closed its doors permanently. 

Feb. 16, 2006 - JAA Entertainment is registered by Jason A. Alexander in the state of California using the Bluffside Drive address (Note: This needs an official entry).

Mar. 21, 2006 - Jason Alexander is charged with Driving Under the Influence in Van Nuys, CA.

May 28, 2006 - The Palms’ new 40-story Fantasy Tower opens its $40,000 per night Sky Villas to the public.

June 7, 2006 - US Weekly reports that Britney's family has hired a Christian life coach to assist in her decision to file for divorce from Kevin Federline.

June 28, 2006 - Mabel Tash, the director of RHF Management Services, LLC, emails David Pierfy of the Wright Entertainment Group (WEG). "Dear Dave, Good talking to you this morning. As we discussed, I will look into the accounting next week. I quickly ran some reports, and I see that Wright Entertainment has been paid as recently as 5/6/06."

June 28, 2006 - David Pierfy, of WEG, replies to an email from Mabel Tash, the director of RHF Management Services, LLC. "That is true. However, we have not been paid for record royalties since the period ended December 31, 2003." 

June 29, 2006 - Dan Dymtrow is reported to be the "business manager" of Kevin Federline.

36 minutes ago, Steel Magnolia said:

Interesting...

I just realized it was the combo of the Matt Lauer interview and the "Christian life coach" article that made me start following Britney's story! I didn't become a fan of her music until Blackout, but I remember taking note of the life coach article even back then because there was a running theme of "control" beginning to develop in the summer of 2006.

Anyway...

Jan. 25, 2006 - Queens-born NBA player Ron Artest is traded from the Indiana Pacers to the Sacramento Kings. The Kings are owned by Las Vegas billionaire George Maloof.

Jan. 27, 2006 - Gawker reports that smoothie shop JJ Chill, owned by James Spears and Joseph Nejman, has closed its doors permanently. 

Feb. 16, 2006 - JAA Entertainment is registered by Jason A. Alexander in the state of California using the Bluffside Drive address (Note: This needs an official entry).

Mar. 21, 2006 - Jason Alexander is charged with Driving Under the Influence in Van Nuys, CA.

May 28, 2006 - The Palms’ new 40-story Fantasy Tower opens its $40,000 per night Sky Villas to the public.

June 28, 2006 - Mabel Tash, the director of RHF Management Services, LLC, emails David Pierfy of the Wright Entertainment Group (WEG). "Dear Dave, Good talking to you this morning. As we discussed, I will look into the accounting next week. I quickly ran some reports, and I see that Wright Entertainment has been paid as recently as 5/6/06."

June 28, 2006 - David Pierfy, of WEG, replies to an email from Mabel Tash, the director of RHF Management Services, LLC. "That is true. However, we have not been paid for record royalties since the period ended December 31, 2003." 

June 29, 2006 - Dan Dymtrow is reported to be the "business manager" of Kevin Federline.

To connect some dots...

Lou M. Taylor's Tri Star Sports & Entertainment was already representing Ron Artest when he was traded to the Sacramento Kings, which was owned by the Maloofs.

At the suggestion of Larry Rudolph, the Maloofs had just built a recording studio inside The Palms, and were looking to sign new talent to their fledgling record company.

James Spears, who had recently completed rehab (and strangely appears to have been living around the corner from Jason Alexander) had just seen his new business go under. At the time, James was working for the Maloofs as a personal chef.

Jamie Lynn Spears, who was a minor, was then signed to Tri Star Sports & Entertainment, who likely assisted her in brokering a record deal with Maloof Productions. Her father, James Spears, became the Secretary, and began receiving all of the paperwork — despite her mother, Lynne, being the President and Treasurer.

(Later, the Maloofs went bankrupt due to the huge investment they made in building the recording studio and constructing a new tower on The Palms. This provides an opportunity for the Azoff family and Live Nation to swoop in and secure Britney's Las Vegas residency.)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Steel Magnolia said:

Interesting...

Anyway...

To connect some more dots...

In the two and a half years leading up to JL possibly signing a recording contract with the Maloofs, other strange things are happening with Britney's finances.

Record royalty payments to Britney's former manager, Johnny Wright, come to an early end in December 2003.

There is a revolving door of business managers. Following the apparent firing of Bert Padell by Bryan Spears in 2003, these business managers include Stacy Smith (who appears to be Shania Twain's business manager) and Richard Feldstein (RHF Management Services).

In addition to James Spears appearing to remain in contact with Britney's ex, Jason Alexander, we also see Britney's husband, Kevin Federline, begin to be managed in some way my her manager, Dan Dymtrow.

At what point do any of these relationships begin to represent a conflict of interest for Britney?

:umsaywhat_adele_hmm_umm_thinking_confused_unsure:

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Steel Magnolia said:

Do y'all have any history around Jamie Spears' gambling addiction. I have read that he has a gambling addiction many times, but the "proof" is him filing for bankruptcy (but he HAD many jobs with the Maloofs). My thoughts are this: Was Jamie in debt because of "off the book" gambling with dangerous people? How freaking desperate was he to save HIS neck to sign off on the CON. I hope he burns in hell. on fire burn GIF

I don't know how helpful this is, but I was looking through the USTPO because they offer a lot of free records. 

JL trademarks:

In April 2003, Larry Rudolph/ Rudolph & Beer LLP submits an application for a Jamie Lynn Spears trademark.

The owner/applicant is Jamie Lynn Spears c/o Ziffren, Brittenham, Branca, etc. 1801 Century Park West, Los Angeles, CA.

The attorney of record is Karl M Zielaznicki.

KARL M ZIELAZNICKI
JENKENS & GILCHRIST PARKER CHAPIN LLP
THE CHRYSLER BLDG
405 LEXINGTON AVE
NEW YORK, NY   10174

Screen-Shot-2022-09-29-at-6-47-04-PM.png

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block