Who is the most iconic Spanish female singer?

On 9/9/2022 at 10:51 PM, Alex Murr said:

The question is about singers who were born in Spain, right?:tbh_britney_nod_yes_yas_ftr_for_the_record_vma_2008_circus:

some people here are taking it as Spanish speaking singers.:beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching:
currently Rosalia
in the past Rocio Durcal and Monica Naranjo

Yes, it's about singers born & raised in Spain :kermit_frog_meme_green:

Is Monica Naranjo that big of an icon in Spain? I remember reading somewhere that Spain paid her dust (at the beginning of her career at least) but she was embraced by Latin America :fran_frog_meme_green: Is this true? 

On 9/10/2022 at 3:00 AM, PokemonSpears said:

there's also

the thing is I only know the Spanish singers that were famous in Mexico lol

we have one born in Mexico but she grew up in Spain, so she's often considered from there instead, her name is Alaska

then we have another one born in Spain, but she grew up in Mexico, so she's often considered Mexican, Belinda

Ana Torroja's debut album is so good :letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn: but for some reason I was under the impression she was a flop and then I came across this 

...and I thought to myself ok maybe she's not a flop, thought I wouldn't have guessed she could be considered an icon :fran_frog_meme_green::fran_frog_meme_green::fran_frog_meme_green:

I'll check out Natalia Jiménez :neydedance_purple:

The fact that Belinda is Spanish was news to me, she doesn't have a Spain Spanish accent :shocked_red_keyboard_type_computer:

I knew the Thalia version was a cover but I never actually bother listening to the original :clownery_makeup_meme:

• Love 1
  • Like 1
On 9/10/2022 at 5:01 AM, IsraeliMatt said:

While my favorite Spanish-speaking country is Spain, my favorite Spanish-speaking artists are not Spanish. I enjoy Paulina Rubio, Shakira, and Thalia best. In terms of Spain, I am a fan of Enrique Iglesias. I adore the Belinda/Ana Mena collaboration 'Las 12.' 

This is my favorite song from Spanish artists, 'Verano' by La Oreja de Van Gogh. It's beautiful and romantic. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGB736cazVs

Shakira is by now a global icon tbh :shaking_shake_gold_yellow::shaking_shake_gold_yellow::shaking_shake_gold_yellow:

Ana Mena's voice is so beautiful, but her songs are hit or miss for me :crying2_britney_crying_tears_2003_diane_sobbing_sad: I see the potential tho I sense she is an icon in the making :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer:

:letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn::letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn::letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn::letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn::letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn::letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn::letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn::letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn::letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn:

LODVG is on my list! I plan on going through all of their discography, album by album I'm currently on their second one :well_cookie_monster_point_blue_black: I like it so far, their sound reminds me of my adolescence for some reason :calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what:

• Love 1
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, corpsetranger said:

Shakira is by now a global icon tbh :shaking_shake_gold_yellow::shaking_shake_gold_yellow::shaking_shake_gold_yellow:

Ana Mena's voice is so beautiful, but her songs are hit or miss for me :crying2_britney_crying_tears_2003_diane_sobbing_sad: I see the potential tho I sense she is an icon in the making :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer:

:letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn::letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn::letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn::letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn::letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn::letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn::letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn::letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn::letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn:

LODVG is on my list! I plan on going through all of their discography, album by album I'm currently on their second one :well_cookie_monster_point_blue_black: I like it so far, their sound reminds me of my adolescence for some reason :calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what:

Totally agree. Ana Mena has a beautiful voice, yet the songs usually haven't done it for me. There's something very youthful about LOVG's sound. I get that feeling from their music also. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, IsraeliMatt said:

Totally agree. Ana Mena has a beautiful voice, yet the songs usually haven't done it for me. There's something very youthful about LOVG's sound. I get that feeling from their music also. 

Off topic but it's my thread soooo :deserves_kim_kardashian_smirk_pink::deserves_kim_kardashian_smirk_pink::deserves_kim_kardashian_smirk_pink: jk :demi_lipstick_flirt_red_pink_makeup: 

I see you're from Israel? :ohwut_gaga_sunglasses_shocked_surprised_what_huh:

Would you please recommend some great pop songs in Hebrew? Some iconic pop singer à la Janet and Brit? :shake_excited_pink_bounce_yay_pumped_anxious:

I ofc know Ofra Haza, Sarit Hadad and ...Noa Kirel :nynod_miss_new_york_ms_nodding_yes_yas_agree:

And this one cute bop by Shiri Maimon :bow_bowing_orange:

I'm thirsty for more :anxiety_pill_struggle_panic_ahh_bottle_Wendy_williams_shake_shaking:

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, corpsetranger said:

Off topic but it's my thread soooo :deserves_kim_kardashian_smirk_pink::deserves_kim_kardashian_smirk_pink::deserves_kim_kardashian_smirk_pink: jk :demi_lipstick_flirt_red_pink_makeup: 

I see you're from Israel? :ohwut_gaga_sunglasses_shocked_surprised_what_huh:

Would you please recommend some great pop songs in Hebrew? Some iconic pop singer à la Janet and Brit? :shake_excited_pink_bounce_yay_pumped_anxious:

I ofc know Ofra Haza, Sarit Hadad and ...Noa Kirel :nynod_miss_new_york_ms_nodding_yes_yas_agree:

And this one cute bop by Shiri Maimon :bow_bowing_orange:

I'm thirsty for more :anxiety_pill_struggle_panic_ahh_bottle_Wendy_williams_shake_shaking:

Yes! Wow, you really have international taste in music. One of the biggest Israeli pop stars ever is one of my favorites, Ivri Lider, who came out as gay really early, in 2002. It did not damage his success. Here's one of his best pop songs that's suited for dancing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTX6mWrXvNE 

There's another very good artist called Ishay Ribo, originally from France, who sings religious music. Even though his music isn't secular, his voice and musicality are so strong that he's appreciated widely even by secular Jews. This is my favorite from him. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y30pfWIQfoo

Here's a song from a popular artist called Eden Ben Zaken that feels like a Middle Eastern party. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryHLrr4J1M4

• Love 1
3 hours ago, corpsetranger said:

Ana Torroja's debut album is so good :letitburn_elmo_fire_flames_burn: but for some reason I was under the impression she was a flop and then I came across this 

...and I thought to myself ok maybe she's not a flop, thought I wouldn't have guessed she could be considered an icon :fran_frog_meme_green::fran_frog_meme_green::fran_frog_meme_green:

I'll check out Natalia Jiménez :neydedance_purple:

The fact that Belinda is Spanish was news to me, she doesn't have a Spain Spanish accent :shocked_red_keyboard_type_computer:

I knew the Thalia version was a cover but I never actually bother listening to the original :clownery_makeup_meme:

Mecano was just huge in the 80s. I don't know about Spain, but at least in Latin America they were and almost all of their songs are classics.

Obviously they were known as a group first, but it's Ana's iconic voice what everyone remembers. She's very loved here in Mexico, and I think she's actually lived here for a few seasons.

I really don't like her solo stuff that much, but she does have a few collaborations that were iconic too. Anyone that was alive in the 2000s in Latin America will know the lyrics to this lol

This was very popular too from her joint tour with Miguel Bosé

and this

Natalia Jiménez is a similar case, she came from a group, La Quinta Estación but it's her voice what people recognizes

I could also mention Amaia Montero, from La Oreja de Van Gogh, the thing is her solo stuff was not very popular, and on top of it, the group continued without her and with a new vocalist, so LODVG's fans keep listening to the old songs through the new singer, so no need to follow Amaia lol

Amaia:

new singer:

And yeah, Belinda is practically Mexican, she was very little when she moved here, that's why she doesn't have an accent. But her parents and the rest of her family are from Spain.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, IsraeliMatt said:

@PokemonSpears Does Belinda have a typical Mexico City accent? 

as @Adriannn said she talks like those artists that feel higher than everything, so not the typical Mexico City accent, but the words, and phrases and everything are definitely Mexican, not the typical person from Spain.

22 minutes ago, Adriannn said:

Martha Sánchez had her moment, too

I forgot about her :shocked_what_xfactor_britney_pink_surprised_wow: it's just that she just kinda disappeared in recent years, even though she keeps performing, I don't remember a recent hit

she came from a group too, didn't she?

• Love 1
On 9/10/2022 at 11:49 AM, IsraeliMatt said:

Belinda actually is Spanish, not Mexican. I explained in the comment before yours. Her childhood was Mexican, I guess, and maybe her accent is Mexican, but legally she is only Spanish. 

Also, I love Enrique! :praisega_gaga_amazing_brilliant_show_stopping_showstopping_sunglasses_incredible_yas_Yes:

She may have been born in Spain...but guess what NOT A SINGLE SOUL knows who she is in Spain.

So Mexican it is :tiffcackle_Tiffany_miss_ny_New_York_pollard_laugh_giggle_lol_haha_hehe:

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block