Why do all pop singers lip sync and only Britney is famous for it?

1 minute ago, Isla said:

Cheryl is pretty known here in the UK for lipsynching, I mean we literally had that thread about her recently lol

Ashlee Simpson anyone?

Ashlee's career never recovered when she was outed for lip synching in the 2000s. She was already struggling at the time, but that was the big blow that wrecked her career. 

Milli Vanilli remains the biggest lip synch controversy and I don't care what anyone says. One of them committed suicide and the other admitted that he knew they were screwed when they won the Grammy. Shortly before they were exposed in their accident, the sessions musicians and singers who did all their music had come out in a news article about song writing credits and the money were owed.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
25 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Milli Vanilli remains the biggest lip synch controversy and I don't care what anyone says. One of them committed suicide and the other admitted that he knew they were screwed when they won the Grammy. Shortly before they were exposed in their accident, the sessions musicians and singers who did all their music had come out in a news article about song writing credits and the money were owed.

Why relate Britney with Milli Vanilli?
It's something totally different.:howiroll_beyonce_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_white_shirt_hands:

They weren't the ones singing on her album and that's it.:bedtime_britney_book_Reading:
Britney, we know it's always her voice on her albums (britney jean) well...:yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know: almost all of them.

• Haha 1

Britney was the first blueprint of a young female pop star that has to not only grow up in the public eye but evolve in her artistry. When she began, of course she sang live, but even in the 99's she used a mix of playback and her live vocals (just watch any 'Crazy' performance for that high note of the pre-chorus). People talked about it all the time because she has always been held to a different standard than others. 

It's understandable for any pop artist to mix the vocals and track, especially when they are dancing and putting on such a show. Britney's image became more about the show, but since performing still comes under her label as a "singer" people are going to expect her to also sing. Broadway performers sing and dance live, but that's entirely another discussion... They also don't have the demands that pop artists do or the wear and tear on their voice. 

Britney never had the stamina to dance and sing completely live. She began performing still as her voice was maturing, so unless she was going to continue training, it's difficult to navigate this. People think all of a sudden when you're famous you've "made it" and thus don't require further coaching, which is silly. She also uses a lot of layering and effects in the studio, so in order to recreate the songs to sound as they do on the album, she would still need to use playback for the layering regardless. 

However the difference is that Britney didn't lipsynch because she can't sing, it's more so, that she was more of a studio singer and her concerts were about performance, not live vocals. Even in the 2000's she would use playback, I believe the OIDIA tour is the best example of pre-recorded vocals that sound live. 

It also became a thing in the fan-community that sparked interest about her singing -- is she singing live? Is this verse live? Oh, she's still making ad-libs live. It was almost like a "treat" when you got something that wasn't the CD vocals. However, most of these ad-libs and whatnot stopped around the beginning of the CSHIP, so it doesn't surprise me that Britney used the track (minus Femme Fatal era). From her explanations, of course she wouldn't give a **** performing live when she doesn't even feel valued as an artist, or able to perform the songs how she wants. 

When Britney met Wade it seemed she became more interested in dancing, and that shift from singer to performer is evident in Dream Within a Dream Tour. However, during ITZ she was still aware of the taboo that was beginning to surround her about her voice, because that's one of the reasons she precorded MATM vocals (her choreographer made a comment before the AMAs, about how she was going to sing live). That NFL performance around that time was one of her best, and she pre-recorded but the GP wouldn't really be able to tell. 

After ITZ, it seemed everyone accepted Britney lip-synched and then nobody talked about it again, until her POM world tour (and Larry's lies promoting the Vegas run of her singing 100% live). 

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Ashlee's career never recovered when she was outed for lip synching in the 2000s. She was already struggling at the time, but that was the big blow that wrecked her career. 

I mean Milli Vanilli did more than just lipsynch, it wasn’t them singing. But the face of the group, Rob and Fab, were unfairly treated imo. They wanted to sing but their management said no. By the time they released an album with their actual voices the damage was already done and the public didn’t care anymore. Very sad about what happened to Rob.

They’re working on a biopic for Milli Vanilli’s story. Should be interesting.

4 hours ago, GlitterRain said:

I remember this show back in the early 2000’s where Britney was walking somewhere before a performance and someone asked her about the vocals and she casually said it was playback. I was like :omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised: I can’t remember what show it was or where to find the clip. I could care less if she lip syncs, she’s still amazing :shaking_shake_gold_yellow:

Omg that’s from one of the Not a Girl promo performances, in Japan. It’s on the Japanese Stages DVD, iconic. 

6 hours ago, toysoldier88 said:

Dua lipa Is not lipping there tho. She has backup singers and probably also the track behind and She sings over It too, all It was ever asked to Britney as well but kind of never happened. But Who cares anymore Anyway? Godney Is a Legend no matter what :staysalty_hands_rub_so_there_blue_walk_away_made_my_point:

Dua is singing over the playback of her own vocals, when the mic falls into the crowd that’s her vocals still playing but I get your point. What’s annoying is when Britney sang to track, she was still savaged but she would dance a lot harder, Britney’s sang to track many times, why say never? You a Dua fan? :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Matou said:

At least pre-recorded would have been good but we can't blame her since the cship ... she couldn't do anything. On rare occasions on Circus Tour & POM but she wasn't able to show if she wanted to.

Pre recorded, CD vocals, whatever, it’s still lip syncing. Giving the other girls a free pass because they try harder to trick their audience :slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block