Why do all pop singers lip sync and only Britney is famous for it?

17 minutes ago, GlitterRain said:

I remember this show back in the early 2000’s where Britney was walking somewhere before a performance and someone asked her about the vocals and she casually said it was playback. I was like :omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised: I can’t remember what show it was or where to find the clip. I could care less if she lip sync, she’s still amazing :shaking_shake_gold_yellow:

Yes. I think it was for a performance but I'm not sure... someone asks her about rehearsals and she says something like "it's all playback anyway".

• Like 1

because britney used the same vocals as the album as because was the easy target! but britney answers in that time was good that having hard routines and sing is imposible!!

but almost pop stars do it for the dancing and male pop stars they need sometimes to get a little bit hard to make enphasys in some parts of their body to make more notorious dancing, so is dificult singing, mastur.... and dancing at the same time :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

1 hour ago, MikeHunt said:

Being a Britney fan has really trained me to know when someone is lipping, even using a new prerecorded vocal track! :yeahhh_britney_oops_red_fist_cheer_yeah_smile_happy: It’s funny reading the comments on some of these new girlies performances, and people are praising their “live” vocal… the untrained ear :britoverit_britney_eyeroll_roll_eyes_annoyed_whatever:

I'm dying at this post :spit_lmao_spitting_spraying_lol_hehe_haha_laugh_jlaw_jennifer_lawrence::gloria_falling_stairs_trip::hype_britney_glory_jkl_jimmy_kimmel_live_laugh_lol_haha_hype_excited_pumped_lmao_cackle:

"at least Christina Aguilera screams live. Thats what an Artist is all about - authenticity!!!"

• Haha 2
  • Super Mods
1 hour ago, GlitterRain said:

I remember this show back in the early 2000’s where Britney was walking somewhere before a performance and someone asked her about the vocals and she casually said it was playback. I was like :omggg_shocked_hand_old_lady_woman_surprised: I can’t remember what show it was or where to find the clip. I could care less if she lip sync, she’s still amazing :shaking_shake_gold_yellow:

I know what you're referring to.

I think it was from her Stages documentary that she made in 2002.

She was wearing a red top and jeans and said that

• Like 5
  • Super Mods
3 minutes ago, princessmimi said:

I know what you're referring to.

I think it was from her Stages documentary that she made in 2002.

She was wearing a red top and jeans and said that

It was so iconic because she said it so casually and it was during a time that everyone was talking about it. I was like And I Oop Whatcha Say GIF by Jasmine Masters

• Haha 2

mainly because she's one of the very few artists that lip to her 20+ years old vocals during her entire shows. others usually use prerecorded vocals and include at least some live singing at some point; britney didn't for more than a decade despite being a singer. hence why she's known for this. i mean critics said that FFT was better than circus because of the vocals :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle: 

i still think not singing live wasn't her decision tbh bc she didn't use to lip her ballads before the c ship

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ItsBeanie****** said:

Britney should've owned it. Her best answer was when she said sometimes it's impossible to sing live due to the dance routines. Her worst answer was "I always sing live." An out and out lie albeit Larry and Vegas probably told her to say it. Like others say MJ lipped too but during his prime when his dancing was still IT. Onyx had amazing performances plus minimal live vocals. Circus onwards kept the minimal to no live vocals but lost the great dancing. Lip syncing to Perfume and Alien and Lucky at POM was unforgiveable imo but then she was a prisoner so why would she make an effort? I wouldn't

this right here had me wondering all this time, should we forget the last 14 years and all music related things because she was in a very horrible situation as  somewhat of a prisoner? 

should we dismiss just like that all the things that happened good and bad?  

we all kind of knew what was going on with the convervatorship yet nothing happened until 2 years ago 

why we didnt fight for her rights in 2009 2010? why her friend cade didnt help her with the lawyer before?

Lip synching has existed for a long time, not just in pop music.

Go back to the 1960s or 50s and you'll find videos of rock musicians "miming" as it was called back then. they'd mime with their instruments not plugged in, set to a studio recording that played on TV. Elvis Presley did a lot of miming in his TV appearances. 

From a technical standpoint, there's a variety of reasons lip synching and miming have been used. Going back to my example of the 60s, it was done mainly for proper audio with the studio recordings already pre-recorded. Britney and other pop singers have been doing it for years cause the live show is more of theatricals with dancing and a big stage show, where music comes second. 

Lip synching did not become this big taboo until the Milli Vanilli scandal in the 90s. They were busted on live television for using playback. MV were already in a scandal prior to that, cause the real sessions musicians who wrote and recorded all their music had spoken out in a news article after their big Grammy win.

(BTW if you find interest in the MV scandal, look up an Italo-Disco artist named Den Harrow. He was a complete invention by studios. He never sang a single word on his albums. Everything was pre-recorded with an American vocalist while Den Harrow was a model who had the looks to be the star. Den Harrow won the Italian equivalent of the Grammys with "Future Brain" while the true vocalist went uncredited for many years)

TLDR; it's not that big of a deal as people make it out to be. Everyone has been doing it for 60+ years. 

• Love 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block