This Day in Pop: Britney Spears releases 'Glory' in 2016 (August 26)

glory.jpg.32f5b8b7c4b76bd6913d66ecf26a7ba5.jpg

glorycover.jpg

On August 26, 2016, Britney Spears released her ninth studio album Glory. The recording process started since 2014 and it took about two and a half years to complete. She recorded around 30 - 40 songs, according to some interviews she gave.

tumblr_nbnvdkGYGm1suhcwho2_r1_500.gif

Six months into the recording process, Britney felt dissatisfied with the results, so Karen Kwak was brought onto the record to work as the executive producer. She picked the producers and writers inspired by the sounds of her previous albums, such as Blackout and In the Zone.

Karen said:

• " Pretty Girls wasn't original. Britney wanted to do things that were fresh and unexpected this time. There was never a moment where she was given a song, and anybody said, 'This is a hit. You have to sing it'. Britney pursued the songs she wanted to do for herself. She came up with concepts and melodies. It's her baby. It's like being an athlete. If you're doing it that much, you're getting yourself into shape. She was always ready to work during the album sessions, and it was very important to her to be done by a certain time so she could pick up her boys from school."

The producers that worked on the album were BloodPop, Burns, Cashmere Cat, DJ Mustard, Jason Evigan, Oak Felder, Andrew Goldstein, Oscar Görres, Ian Kirkpatrick, Mattman & Robin, Nick Monson, Alex Nice, Robopop, Lance Eric Shipp, Twice as Nice, and Tramaine Winfrey with songwriting credits by Julia Michaels, Justin Tranter, Nick Monson, among others including Britney herself.

Originally it included 18 tracks on the deluxe version, with the 18th track, Mood Ring, being released exclusively in Japan.

gloryjapan_back.jpg

The official singles off the album were Make Me... and Slumber Party. Before the release of the record, three promotional singles were revealed: Pretty Girls, Clumsy and Do You Wanna Come Over? In 2020, Mood Ring was released as a promotional single as well, after it was made available worldwide.

glorysing.png

The album was sold in some Mexico City stores ahead of the scheduled date, on August 20, leaking into the internet that very same day. Nonetheless, the album debuted at #3 on the US BBH100 after it managed to move 111K equivalent units during its first week. However, to this day it's the only album of hers that hasn't reached the gold status for sales in the US.

In 2017, an exclusive version of the album was released in Japan and other countries to promote her Asian tour Britney: Live in Concert. It contained two discs, one with the 18 Glory tracks, and the second one with the studio version of the songs from the setlist of the show, with the exception of Me Against the Music which appears as the Dragon Man Mix.

glory-britney-japan-tour-edition.jpg?w=980&q=75

Glory+JTE+Cover+Back.jpeg

And in 2020, after Glory hit the #1 spot on the iTunes Pop Chart, Britney released a new cover for the album, which was made available on all digital platforms.

EXiXxwiU0AEXsBl.jpg

Later on that same year, a final reissue of Glory was released on vinyl and digitally, with a new cover and including all the tracks plus two previously unreleased songs: Swimming in the Stars and Matches (with the Backstreet Boys). Additionally, it included some Mood Ring remixes.

ab67616d0000b27398c6c8d8470b73b0fccc23c6

glorysing2.png

You can stream the full album below or on Spotify here

• Love 5

Love this album with all my heart! :whiteladydance_scarlett_dancing_happy_johansson: Especially after the messy 'Myah Jean':awks_britney_side_eye_awkward_2011_ff_femme_Fatale:  I have so many negative things to say about the era in general tho too many missed opportunities BUT I'm not gonna focus on that, not today at least! The most important thing is that today, 6 years later, Britney is a free woman and she decided to be part of a very good song with Sir. Elton John :elton: We're all so proud of you, Queen!!! :imcute_britney_ftr_for_the_record_hat_paris_french_smile_grin_happy:

• Love 2

:inbed_ahs_hotel_sarah_paulson_grin_smirk_cackle_bed_reading_phone: MY EMOJI REVIEW :inbed_ahs_hotel_sarah_paulson_grin_smirk_cackle_bed_reading_phone:

:makeitrain_britney_blush_headphones_omg_wow_happy: INVITATION

:werk_britney_bw_black_white_dance_sexy_flirt_my_prerogative: DO YOU WANNA COME OVER

:plzexplain_britney_karaoke_carpool_confused_oh_okay_hmm_nod_eyebrows_raised: MAKE ME

:ugh_britney_disgust_gross_ew: PRIVATE SHOW

:britstare11_britney_ftr_for_the_record_annoyed_tired_irritated_sigh: MAN ON THE MOON

:snarky_katy_merry_go_round_smile_proud_spinning: JUST LUV ME

:riha_rihanna_cackle_laughing_lol_haha_hehe_lmao_hand: CLUMSY

:milkney_slumber_party_glory_britney_blue_lick_yum_table: SLUMBER PARTY

:eheeek_britney_unsure_ew_gross_um_awkward_embarrassed_cringe: JUST LIKE ME

:whiteladydance_scarlett_dancing_happy_johansson: LOVE ME DOWN

:zoomzoom_britney_annoyed_irritated_blink: HARD TO FORGET YA

:idkha_mariah_i_dont_know_her_pink_idk_shake_no: WHAT YOU NEED

:bparty_piece_of_me_pom_britney_clubbing_blackout_2007_dancing_dance: BETTER

:jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle: CHANGE YOUR MIND

:boredashell_pink_britney_hmm_blink_well_umm: LIAR

:wendy_williams_bop_listen_music: IF I'M DANCING

:watrusayin_britney_xfactor_confused_shocked_surprised_um_what: COUPURE ÉLECTRIQUE

:mae_fire_explosion_dead_spiderman_old_woman: MOOD RING

:tbh_britney_nod_yes_yas_ftr_for_the_record_vma_2008_circus: SWIMMING IN THE STARS

:flop_britney_candies: MATCHES

I remember going to bed on the 25th listening to the album ❤️ I posted a screenshot and next day I had a comment from Britney, that said “Thank you” 😭 I screamed like a little B. 🫶🏽 Just Luv Me & No Seas Cortes, are always a big mood. 

2 minutes ago, G.E said:

I remember going to bed on the 25th listening to the album ❤️ I posted a screenshot and next day I had a comment from Britney, that said “Thank you” 😭 I screamed like a little B. 🫶🏽 Just Luv Me & No Seas Cortes, are always a big mood. 

Or it was her team, regardless it was a magical moment 😂

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block