Neve Campbell Explains Decision to Exit ‘Scream’ Franchise After Feeling ‘Undervalued’

Zach F

Neve Campbell confirmed her decision not to return in Scream 6 was based on an offer that undervalued what she brought to the franchise as a woman.

The 48-year-old actress starred in Wes Craven's original 1996 teen slasher and last returned for the fifth installment, but chose not to return for Scream 6 in her iconic role as Sidney Prescott.

"I did not feel that what I was being offered equated to the value that I bring to this franchise, and have brought to this franchise, for 25 years. And as a woman in this business, I think it's really important for us to be valued and to fight to be valued," Neve told People. "I honestly don't believe that if I were a man and had done five installments of a huge blockbuster franchise over 25 years, that the number that I was offered would be the number that would be offered to a man."

"And in my soul, I just couldn't do that," Neve added. "I couldn't walk on set feeling that — feeling undervalued and feeling the unfairness, or lack of fairness, around that."

• Love 1
  • Like 3

I'm sad she didn't return, and I won't be watching this movie opening weekend to support her. But I will miss her, and I am glad she is standing up for something she believes in.... But from I hear they are looking as Jenna Ortega as the new Sidney....and that's a huge mistake.... I didn't really like her character....and I don't think she has the charisma neve offered to thsi franchise... Hope they bring her back for 7

• Love 1
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, itsxrichiexbish said:

I'm sad she didn't return, and I won't be watching this movie opening weekend to support her. But I will miss her, and I am glad she is standing up for something she believes in.... But from I hear they are looking as Jenna Ortega as the new Sidney....and that's a huge mistake.... I didn't really like her character....and I don't think she has the charisma neve offered to thsi franchise... Hope they bring her back for 7

I hear they want her back for 7

sorry OP, my comment above wasn’t meant to be shady. I genuinely thought this was an older quote. I assumed they worked something out. 

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block