Nicki Minaj set to receive the MTV Vanguard Award at the VMAs

4 minutes ago, Slayer said:

The Queen of Rap, she's going to have these jelly *****es actin' really messy!

jesy-nelson-nicki-minaj.gif

I’m sooooo happy for her!!! I think The Grammys were a better fit to recognize Nicki with a similar award because the public LOVES Nicki for her music and legendary rap!!! :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:
NICKI IS IMPACTFUL FOR HER WITTY LYRICS AND RAP FLOW!!!! :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

5 minutes ago, Style. said:

Nicki Minaj sold out arenas just the way Gaga is doing right now. And my girl is a rapper. The only female rapper who has multiple TOURS!!!! S PLURAL :howiroll_beyonce_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_white_shirt_hands:

But Lady Gaga is literally playing STADIUMS of 72.000 thousand people. Nicki hasn't done that....

Gags literally broke the attendencee record

• Love 3
Just now, IForgotYouExisted said:

But Lady Gaga is literally playing STADIUMS of 72.000 thousand people. Nicki hasn't done that....

Nicki Minaj literally revived a dead genre and made it profitable for future female rappers. No Nicki No Female Rap! Lady Gaga hasn’t done that… :bouncey:

Lady Gaga deserves the Vanguard as well! I love her, but it’s Nicki’s time! 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, IForgotYouExisted said:

But isn't Eminem the reason why artists like Nicki

No lol. Eminem exists because black male MCs invented the culture and stage for the kind of music that spoke to Eminem. Eminem came out in a time when hip hop was starting to go more mainstream in the late 90s. Eminem is not the face of the genre and is actually disgraced by many today.

if anything, artists like Wheezy (directly signing her), Lil Kim, Salt n Peppa, Foxxy are Nickis largest influences.

Black people will always be the face of Hip hop. not Eminem It really began in the 80s as political commentary speaking on subjects like police brutality and inner city struggles with Public Enemy, De La Soul and more.  It became more socially conscious and psychedelic with the likes of Tribe Called Quest prior to shifting to East Coast West Cost divisions via Biggie and Tupac. Female hip hop was always happening too with so many I listed above. Hip hop only really started accounting for Eminem when 50cent and Dr. Dre started working with him…. His derailing of Ashanti and Ja Rules careers (a label beef) is what made him even more relevant, along with one stellar performance at the 2000 VMAs.

eminem is mainly receiving fan boy support for a rap battle scene in a movie  and it’s silly. Nicki revolutionized the industry period. She is problematic too but at least she didn’t maintain her relevancy solely through collaborating with rihanna in the 2010s. just ask @Style.

13 minutes ago, IForgotYouExisted said:

mean, I don't like hip-hop and rap and I am not very known about the genre but even I know Eminem is like the face of the genre. So Nicki getting such an award before him seems like an odd choice, no?

No it is not that weird actually. Her impact is larger than his in hip hop. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Future Nostalgia said:

No lol. Eminem exists because black male MCs invented the culture and stage for the kind of music that spoke to Eminem. Eminem came out in a time when hip hop was starting to go more mainstream in the late 90s. Eminem is not the face of the genre and is actually disgraced by many today.

if anything, artists like Wheezy (directly signing her), Lil Kim, Salt n Peppa, Foxxy are Nickis largest influences.

Black people will always be the face of Hip hop. not Eminem It really began in the 80s as political commentary speaking on subjects like police brutality and inner city struggles with Public Enemy, De La Soul and more.  It became more socially conscious and psychedelic with the likes of Tribe Called Quest prior to shifting to East Coast West Cost divisions via Biggie and Tupac. Female hip hop was always happening too with so many I listed above. Hip hop only really started accounting for Eminem when 50cent and Dr. Dre started working with him…. His derailing of Ashanti and Ja Rules careers (a label beef) is what made him even more relevant, along with one stellar performance at the 2000 VMAs.

eminem is mainly receiving fan boy support for a rap battle scene in a movie  and it’s silly. Nicki revolutionized the industry period. She is problematic too but at least she didn’t maintain her relevancy solely through collaborating with rihanna in the 2010s. just ask @Style.

Well in my defence...I did say I know nothing about the genre:awks_britney_side_eye_awkward_2011_ff_femme_Fatale:

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Future Nostalgia said:

No lol. Eminem exists because black male MCs invented the culture. Eminem came out in a time when hip hop was starting to go more mainstream in the late 90s. Eminem is not the face of the genre and is actually disgraced by many today.

eminem is mainly receiving fan boy support for a rap battle scene in a movie  and it’s silly. Nicki revolutionized the industry period. She is problematic too. But just ask @Style.

Period! I’m so happy, Rik! You said it best! Also, I’m not here for people complaining how Kim didn’t receive this award before Nicki as if it’s Nicki’s fault. I said, the Barbz said it: Lil Kim is the blueprint, Nicki is the pink print! Nicki gave her flowers! Nicki is fan! I’m tired of this narrative…

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Style. said:

Period! I’m so happy, Rik! You said it best! Also, I’m not here for people complaining how Kim didn’t receive this award before Nicki as if it’s Nicki’s fault. I said, the Barbz said it: Lil Kim is the blueprint, Nicki is the pink print! Nicki gave her flowers! Nicki is fan! I’m tired of this narrative…

Omfg u legit said it best actually 

• Love 1

They just give this award to anyone these days. Seriously, before Gaga (if this isn’t the same as that Tricon award they gave her in 2020), Eminem and Taylor? :huh_britney_confused_what_2003_itz_zone_in_the:

In fact the Tricon Award and the Global Icon (?) award they gave Foo Fighters last year made me think they had retired the Vanguard award. Guess I was wrong.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block