Diane Warren Responds To Backlash From Beyoncé Fans Over Songwriting Credits

Lol. She shouldn't have apologized. For one, she didn't even name Beyonce. But also... people act like Beyonce is a god and the most amazing talented artist ever. But has she ever written a song by herself? 24 is ridiculous, like how many songs did you sample? did you come up with anything original in the song or just splice 5 songs together and change the lyrics. I like Beyonce, and in many ways she is super talented, but she and her fan base need to be put in their place sometimes. She is not a songwriter and that is not one of her strengths as an artist. Much like Taylor Swift is an amazing song writer but people have to be realistic she's not one of the greatest vocalists of all time. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, bas che said:

Wtf does being black have to do with anything? I swear people with self pity and victim complex are the worst.

The idea that having 24 writers on one song is racist and I even heard 'patriarchal' is so embarrassing.  

Diane typically writers her songs on her own or with just one co-writer. She has a different perspective on songwriting and many professional songwriters agree. I heard Linda Perry make similar comments. 

• Love 3

I think her point was clear, especially coming from a songwriter herself: It's crazy that a song should need 24 writers. Sampling aside, how much stuff do you need to make a song?? It seems like nowadays people decide to grab whatever they like and go from there instead of starting from scratch or doing the effort to exercise the creative muscles until they strike gold.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

I think her point was clear, especially coming from a songwriter herself: It's crazy that a song should need 24 writers. Sampling aside, how much stuff do you need to make a song?? It seems like nowadays people decide to grab whatever they like and go from there instead of starting from scratch or doing the effort to exercise the creative muscles until they strike gold.

Mmm again Unfortunately that would mean, not writing the songs, but @PokemonSpears said it best, nobody cared if you didn't write the song, it was how you sell it or in Whitney Houston case, A Dolly Parton own song she recorded basically became Whitney track, but Dolly is like my bank account thanks Whitney Houston for doing my song and making it the anthem it is..

but yeah, nobody cover's Madonna or Mariah Carey cod they get denied and unfortunately there could be revenue coming if they allowed covers to become singles, but they don't like it, send your fans to me, to hear the Track, don't cover it vid it will become their favorite version of my song..

SO yeah, and how songwriting became that makes the artist more important, well. Taylor swift and Gaga played a huge role in this.

being a singer is not enough, But singer songwriter, that's something else, iconic 

• Like 1
On 8/2/2022 at 3:07 PM, MyLittlePopstar said:

Lol. She shouldn't have apologized. For one, she didn't even name Beyonce. But also... people act like Beyonce is a god and the most amazing talented artist ever. But has she ever written a song by herself? 24 is ridiculous, like how many songs did you sample? did you come up with anything original in the song or just splice 5 songs together and change the lyrics. I like Beyonce, and in many ways she is super talented, but she and her fan base need to be put in their place sometimes. She is not a songwriter and that is not one of her strengths as an artist. Much like Taylor Swift is an amazing song writer but people have to be realistic she's not one of the greatest vocalists of all time. 

Beyoncé is a songwriter; she now has over 380 songwriting credits (sources: ASCAP Repertory Search/Songview) and about 350 song production credits, and no, they're not all stolen w/ only one note or word changed.

For instance, Be Alive, an original song from the motion picture King Richard, Beyoncé wrote and produced w/ Dixson, won a Hollywood Critics Association Award for Best Original Song. Dixson commented: "Obviously, we all know if Beyoncé sings, it's going to be amazing. But I don't think we talk about her ability as a songwriter and a producer enough. I knew she was one of my favorite songwriters, but it was confirmed for me through this process." 

In 2002, Beyoncé received Songwriter of the Year from American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) becoming the First African American woman to win the award. More info on Beyoncé's songwriting here.

Beyoncé's a different kind of songwriter and producer. Her forte lies in collaborative songwriting and production, and it only shows her talent, ability to adapt and versatility.

On 8/2/2022 at 9:51 PM, DougfromBrazilIsBack said:

According to Billboard the writers credited on “Alien Superstar” are:

• Beyoncé herself
  • Jay-Z (billed at S. Carter)
  • Honey Redmond
  • Christopher Lawrence Penny
  • Luke Francis Matthew Solomon
  • Denisia “@Blue_June” Andrews for @Novawav
  • Brittany “Chi_Coney” Coney for @Novawav
  • David Debrandon Brown
  • Dave Hamelin
  • Timothy Lee McKenzie
  • Danielle Balbuena
  • Rami Yacoub
  • Leven Kali
  • Atia Boggs P/K/A Ink
  • Levar Coppin
  • Saliou Diagne
  • Mike Dean
  • Robert Francis Anthony Manzoli
  • Richard Peter John Fairbrass
  • Christopher Abbott Bernard Fairbrass
  • John Michael Holiday
  • Barbara Ann Teer
  • Kim Cooper
  • Peter Rauhofer

Whether Diane was wrong or not, this is effing crazy🤯🤯🤯

On 8/2/2022 at 12:54 PM, DougfromBrazilIsBack said:

6 samples, 6 writers, 6 co-writers and another 6 co-co-writers = 24.

I don’t get what’s so hard to understand about this 🤷🏽‍♂️ 

It’s like it’s being said that the writers of the samples are at fault for having more than a few writers 🤦🏽‍♂️ it’s basic math lol I weep for the internet

Specifically to Beyoncé, her songs have always been constructed by camps of people. This isn’t new. Why is the internet acting like this is new?!

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Arckangel said:

Beyoncé is a songwriter; she now has over 380 songwriting credits (sources: ASCAP Repertory Search/Songview) and about 350 song production credits, and no, they're not all stolen w/ only one note or word changed.

For instance, Be Alive, an original song from the motion picture King Richard, Beyoncé wrote and produced w/ Dixson, won a Hollywood Critics Association Award for Best Original Song. Dixson commented: "Obviously, we all know if Beyoncé sings, it's going to be amazing. But I don't think we talk about her ability as a songwriter and a producer enough. I knew she was one of my favorite songwriters, but it was confirmed for me through this process." 

In 2002, Beyoncé received Songwriter of the Year from American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) becoming the First African American woman to win the award. More info on Beyoncé's songwriting here.

Beyoncé's a different kind of songwriter and producer. Her forte lies in collaborative songwriting and production, and it only shows her talent, ability to adapt and versatility.

Sure Jan GIF

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block