Gender Pronouns on Exhale?

Can I ask an earnest question about pronouns? I don't mean anything by it, I'm literally ignorant so kindly enlighten me.

When someone states their pronouns, why do they say "he/him" for example? Doesn't the pronoun "he" naturally suggest "him" as well? Just like "she" and "her" are pairs as well as "they" and "them"? I guess what I'm getting at is, is there some mismatched combinations out there? Like "he/they" that I need to know about?

On 7/23/2022 at 8:14 AM, Henry Torres said:

We still don't have this option. Why? We have gender identity option but it's not the same. I still don't know what pronouns I should use when it comes to some people. 

@Jordan Miller

We need pronouns option under the profile picture, we need to see it during making a post 

FVzXNWu.gif

Reveal hidden contents

Whoever has a problem with it, shut the f/ck up, you don't even have to use that option 

FVzXNWu.gif

Btw this is a good opportunity to ask y'all what are your pronouns? My pronouns are he/him/that b/tch

FVzXNWu.gif

I literally don't care which gender people are, I'm here for Britney lol

• Haha 2
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, x.rox said:

Not so obvious. During Toronto Pride a group of gay men at a café having brunch saw a guy walking by and commented “you go gurrrlllll” and they freaked out on them making a scene that they identify as “they” and to refer to them as gurl / sis / queen was insulting and they should be more “educated”. 

You have to admit at some level it gets kind of ridiculous and herein lies the issue for most people or why it bothers them is because it’s being taken too far to a point of absolute ridiculousness. 

Identify how you want. Don’t crucify people who mean no harm by making a comment as innocent as “you go gurl” or “sis” or what have you… it’s the fact that people will say these things which are in essence totally harmless and there’s no maliciousness behind it whatsoever and SOME people who are hellbent on the gender pronoun thing turn it into some UGLY mean bullying “how dare you” scene and it’s like REALLY(??) it’s so uncalled for. 

I don’t personally care whether Jordan implements the option to use pronouns on profiles I mean like whatever it’s not a big deal at all but I’m just stating why  people may have an initial apprehension of it. 

Ya I went to Toronto pride too lol. It’s a lot of people consisting of various perspectives which is not telling of everyone 

It’s clear that there are obviously going to be people who do not necessarily want to be referred to by these catch all terms. Just because some people are outwardly getting mad about an innocent assumption does not mean that is representative of an entire group.

I don’t get why cis people are genuinely so strung up on how others identify though. is it more of a danger to be told that people want to be called they/them or is it more dangerous to be told you don’t exist?

2 hours ago, Haha-Hehe-Haha-Ho said:

Can I ask an earnest question about pronouns? I don't mean anything by it, I'm literally ignorant so kindly enlighten me.

When someone states their pronouns, why do they say "he/him" for example? Doesn't the pronoun "he" naturally suggest "him" as well? Just like "she" and "her" are pairs as well as "they" and "them"? I guess what I'm getting at is, is there some mismatched combinations out there? Like "he/they" that I need to know about?

It’s because you can identify as he/them as well, so you’re right! The point is that gender is a construct and therefore fluid 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Rik said:

Ya I went to Toronto pride too lol. It’s a lot of people consisting of various perspectives which is not telling of everyone 

It’s clear that there are obviously going to be people who do not necessarily want to be referred to by these catch all terms. Just because some people are outwardly getting mad about an innocent assumption does not mean that is representative of an entire group.

I don’t get why cis people are genuinely so strung up on how others identify though. is it more of a danger to be told that people want to be called they/them or is it more dangerous to be told you don’t exist?

I think it’s about being reasonable. Most cis people are reasonable. They/them is reasonable as pronouns. But it’s when you see lists of 100 genders or 1000 pronouns (like on the gay app scruff they incorporated this) and you see things like Ze Zer Zed and Ce Cer Cid it starts to enter this realm of outrageousness and obnoxiousness. Like people got on board with Trans identities and then they lumped on a million more identities and I think it‘a just a lot for people to digest. Like the goal posts keep being moved and people aren’t comfortable in taking it to extreme levels but they’re being pushed to accept these extreme levels by some. And of course you’re right, it’s not being pushed by all and could only be a few in the group but those few are the loudest and they overwhelm everyone and rather than bring people on board they scare them away lol. 

So far as the site goes though, as I’ve said for my opinion on it, if it’s easy for Jordan to incorporate as an option for people then why not? Doesn’t change anything for me personally. Whenever I have the option to list my pronouns on platforms I generally do for the hell of it. It’s obviously nice though for those who it means more to. 

• Like 2

why wouldn’t english just go neutral like hungarian or finnish? this pronoun thing sounds like stereotypes about genders are reinforced (being called a she or a he based on your external appearance). going neutral booom nothing associated anymore and dress however you want. perhaps giving less names instead of giving names to everything? just like for ***ual orientations

i wouldn’t give a **** though about the measure if it’s put in place though 

4 minutes ago, conceptuel said:

why wouldn’t english just go neutral like hungarian or finnish? this pronoun thing sounds like stereotypes about genders are reinforced (being called a she or a he based on your external appearance). going neutral booom nothing associated anymore and dress however you want. perhaps giving less names instead of giving names to everything? just like for ***ual orientations

i wouldn’t give a **** though about the measure if it’s put in place though 

How genders are reinforced?

5 hours ago, Henry Torres said:

Embarrassing comment, hetero boi :beysip_sipping_drink_hoodie_starbucks_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_giggle_cackle_cackling_laughing_lmao: I don't even like these people but imagine spending your free time to shame someone for their pronouns :airpls_gaga_wheeze_eyes_wide_breathe_lady_lmao_lol_haha_hehe_omg_surprised_shocked: Truly embarrassing. The way you flops are always so angry when it comes to pronouns, it doesn't even affect you. It isn't something you have to do :mariah-hurry: You are clearly hurt because of something ELSE and you find topics like that perfect to express your unresolved anger :mariah-hurry: Who hurt you? :beysip_sipping_drink_hoodie_starbucks_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_giggle_cackle_cackling_laughing_lmao: Stay mad :beysip_sipping_drink_hoodie_starbucks_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_giggle_cackle_cackling_laughing_lmao:

15 lines and 6 gifs? … clearly I’m the mad one.

4 hours ago, DougfromBrazilIsBack said:

@Slayer lock this thread before becomes ugly.

Attempts to make thread ugly and then calls on a mod to close it. Real transparent there, Doug.

3 hours ago, DougfromBrazilIsBack said:

I don't want to disclose that information. It's a private matter that I handle on my own and on my own "me time". 

You have your first name in your username yet don’t want to disclose pronouns? Make it make sense.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block