Gwen Stefani Accused Of Cultural Appropriation

12 minutes ago, Alexanda said:

And what do you expect them to say? It looks good, that's it, it shows they are interested in another culture.Β 

You can be interested in a culture and be a part of it! But if you decide to do it you better learn the language and traditions. What's next? Ask for permission to speak another language?Β 

I really disagree with: I am white, my opinion doesn't matter.Β 

Don't get me wrong: There are many problems in the world, like racism, but a musicvideo doesn't kill anyone.Β 

My real point was ironically, without knowing the source of the criticism, it’s impossible to understand if it’s a valid critique, or if it’s just white boys in America thinking racism is an individual problem and not societal.

you bring up a great question about β€œwhat is the line” between f.ucking around with a new style and cultural appropriation? IMO, these are the criteria for cultural appropriation:

(1) the appropriator is selfish-ly motivated (i.e. doing it for money or fame)

(2) the group being copied rejects the appropriation bc it violates a sacred cultural value or is sacreligious.

^^ so, the reasons Moana was rejected by Indigenous Pacific Islanders as cultural appropriation are the same reasons Black Americans reject any of the Kardashians black hairdos.

to me cultural appropriation is very similar to plagiarism.

All that is just my opinion. I’m not trying to change anybody’s mind 😊 I enjoy interacting with peeps on this site who’s opinion is different than mine to learn their perspectives 😘

Β 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, GODNA IS A QUEEN said:

FixedΒ 

Not true, black people dont really care about this that much. Its usually white people, and they select a few black people to back them up and make them look good. If you actually go to leftist spaces, its all white people. Even leftist youtubers are all white, and they constantly complain about how they are not able to find black leftists.

24 minutes ago, fays1 said:

Not true, black people dont really care about this that much. Its usually white people, and they select a few black people to back them up and make them look good. If you actually go to leftist spaces, its all white people. Even leftist youtubers are all white, and they constantly complain about how they are not able to find black leftists.

If you go under all the tweets about Gwen Stefani on Twitter (one of the largest social media platforms) right now, you’ll see it’s mostly, if not all, black leftists complaining. If you don’t believe me, let me know and I’ll link you.

1 hour ago, GODNA IS A QUEEN said:

If you go under all the tweets about Gwen Stefani on Twitter (one of the largest social media platforms) right now, you’ll see it’s mostly, if not all, black leftists complaining. If you don’t believe me, let me know and I’ll link you.

Of course they’re leftist. Or would you think that white right wing people would complain?

Oh FFS... I really hate how people just throw terms like Racism, Cultural Appropriation, Microagressions, Colorism, etc. all these stupid buzz words from black Twitter (and their 'allies') who have no lives and act like they are spokespeople for black people. They need to learn what those words REALLY mean.

As a proud dark skinned black girl, I see nothing wrong with this.Β  And the majority of us don't give af either.Β  A race or culture does not own a hairstyle. Period.Β  If you go to any Caribbean country, especially touristy areas, they'll literally ask to give you this hairstyle lmao.

People need to get a life...Β 

:xcuseme_mad_say_what_hmm_confused:

Β 

12 hours ago, Groundbreaking said:

Histerical people on Twitter doing their most to create an unnecessary dramaΒ :nochillbrit_britney_impatient_2008_annoyed_irritated_nope_smh_head_shaking_my_ftr_for_the_record_circus:Β when will people learn the difference between cultural appreciation and cultural appropriationΒ :pleaseshhh_miss_ny_new_york_tiffany_tell_talk_preach_pollard:Β smh

THIS!

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Γ—
Γ—

We noticed you're using an ad blocker Β :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated πŸ’œΒ Β 

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. πŸ™

I've disabled ad block