Could Bionic be saved?

This album gets talked about a lot. 
A decade on its more popular than it was when released. It has almost a cult following now. 

As a huge Xtina fan I remember the time very well. At the time I found it odd for her as her last album was Back to Basics which felt a natural progression from stripped. Her image/ music was maturing. So to go back to a more ***ual/ pop sound I think alienated some of her fans. 
I must admit when she first released the album I didn’t like it. 10 years on I absolutely LOVE IT! It really has stood the test of time. 

Do you think at the time of release she could’ve saved the album? I DO personally. Had she of released more singles and PROMOTED heavily. I think the project could’ve been saved. 
She hasn’t ever seemed the same since Bionic. It’s like her passion or confidence has been lost. I hope she gets it back and gets back on top! 

• Love 2
  • Haha 2
  • Like 2
42 minutes ago, agustinmalandra said:

Maybe, who knows...

If she did the thing beyonce did with Bday (kinda flopped with Deja Vu and Ring The Alarm, Upgrade U until she kept going and released Irrepleacable and saved the era)

she should've not give a single f and released 2 or 3 more singles (Birds Of Prey, All I Need, Woohoo for the gp)

I agree with you!! A remix album was planned. If she had repacked the album later in the year with those mixes plus more singles. 
I think glam, woohoo, lift me up and I hate boys could’ve saved the album. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, The Greatest Show said:

Yes she should have released it a year earlier as planned and shouldn't have let rca ruin her vision. She should have postponed burlesque instead of the album and tour. 

If she would have done that her divorce and following depression wouldn't have been in the way of a good era.

I don't think we would have gotten NMT or Woohoo if RCA didn't step in 

• Like 1

She just let the album flop, as she did with lotus. 

She couldn´t deal with the bad media press that she received back on the day. 

The album is good, it has some skips. If she wouldn't be smart enough she could died her hair and change the look to make the comparison con GAGA dissappear. 

• Like 4

It wasn’t saveable but it got its cult following in the end and resonated with those that it needed to.

Christina’s biggest issue is that she’s always attempting to recreate stripped even when she’s clearly in a different space in her life all around. Feminism and ***uality are always part of her so I don’t expect those to change but so much of this was kind of tack lyrically and production wise… even if experimental.

The cheese factor of Vanity, Not Myself Tonight and unfortunately the title track itself are so apparent. 

that isn’t to say there aren’t highlights… but Christina should’ve perhaps removed specific songs to deliver a stronger and different body of work without having to live up to previous sounds or trends on electro pop at the time 

revised track list:

1. Birds of Prey (even as an intro this is far better than Bionic)

2. Wohoo (feat. Nicki Minaj) 

3. Prima Donna 

4. Elastic Love 

5. Lift Me Up (She should’ve recorded a studio version of the Haiti relief performance as the stripped version is less cheesy than I Am) 

6. You Lost Me 

7.  Morning Dessert 

8. s** For Breakfast

9. Monday Morning 

10. Little Dreamer 

• Love 4
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Rik said:

It wasn’t saveable but it got its cult following in the end and resonated with those that it needed to.

Christina’s biggest issue is that she’s always attempting to recreate stripped even when she’s clearly in a different space in her life all around. Feminism and ***uality are always part of her so I don’t expect those to change but so much of this was kind of tack lyrically and production wise… even if experimental.

The cheese factor of Vanity, Not Myself Tonight and unfortunately the title track itself are so apparent. 

that isn’t to say there aren’t highlights… but Christina should’ve perhaps removed specific songs to deliver a stronger and different body of work without having to live up to previous sounds or trends on electro pop at the time 

revised track list:

1. Birds of Prey (even as an intro this is far better than Bionic)

2. Wohoo (feat. Nicki Minaj) 

3. Prima Donna 

4. Elastic Love 

5. Lift Me Up (She should’ve recorded a studio version of the Haiti relief performance as the stripped version is less cheesy than I Am) 

6. You Lost Me 

7.  Morning Dessert 

8. s** For Breakfast

9. Monday Morning 

10. Little Dreamer 

Deluxe:

11 - All I Need

12 - Not Myself Tonight

13 - Bionic

• Love 1

IMO album flopped because of her likeability. People liked the songs and even said she truly sounded “stronger than ever,” but she made some off-color remarks that were scornful at the time and career-canceling now. She went all in on Gaga and offended an entire group of people, and a core of her fanbase, in the process.

Bionic was the second most pirated album of 2010 only behind Rihanna’s Loud, but Loud moved over 10 million official units, Bionic about 1 million. I don’t think it was the music, all of the singles would have been moderate hits and You Lost Me would be at least double platinum if she didn’t have such awful press during that time. 

• Like 2

If they had picked a better lead single, maybe. I mean NMT is a bop but it sounded a bit dated even back in 2010. Then again I can't really think of any song on the album that would've been a hit single back then tbh. Woohoo might've been big if it were released a year later though; Nicki wasn't as well known in mid-2010 so her being featured on the song did nothing to boost its sales or mainstream appeal that year, but things might've been different if they'd released the song as a single in 2011. The song was wasted potential overall.

Xtina needed to work with better, more successful producers imo. RedOne and Dr. Luke were basically the go-to guys for pop hits that year, but instead Xtina chose to work with folks who were either relatively unknown songwriters/producers at the time (Sia, Le Tigre, Switch) or ones who were way past their prime (Tricky, Polow, Claude Kelly). 

• Like 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block