26 years ago today, the Spice Girls released their debut single, "Wannabe", co-written by the five girls. What do you remember?

It was a breath of fresh air. 

Especially as an American, this was probably the most purest pop music to date,and when you find out they're British. 

It was the bell that rang, even Lori majeski from teen people said it best, disco never left, it just went to Europe and it evolved what we know and love today. 

Also like one British music critic said, The biggest hit of the girls,their only Us number one, and everything's is so British about it.

And at that time. the spice girls were the face of British pop culture, dominated the world, everything Geri said happened, and it was at one point the most unstoppable thing, and let's be honest, outside one direction,when was the last time a Pure British pop act conquered the world like the spice girls did,you can't,most of them didn't do a European twist of r&B,like the spice girls did,which is why they were able to conquer the difficult Us market, and it was Brilliant..

Very few can say they achieved what they did in such a short span, hell s club 7 even with the tv show is just a one hit Wonder in the US.

To think this is Simon Cowell's biggest regret, turning down the Spice girls, cos he didn't see the whole thing happening like it did.

• Like 2
  • Super Mods

Well tbh I dont really remember much cause I was 3 years old when that song came out

However

My older cousins introduced me to them and would ALWAYS play their Spiceworld VHS tape whenever I'd come over.

Sadly I wasnt allowed to be a fan of them because my religious mom thought they were bad role models and influences.

But 26 yrs later,

im STILL a fan and even got a keychain of them recently from ebay.

So yeah they're my all time FAVE girl group

• Love 5

The best girl group in the world!
I remember watching "Wannabe" as a kid and was fascinated by their vibes, music videos, and the fact they wrote their music.
Also, I was overwhelmed by the "2 Become 1" video due to the concept and the effects. It's one of my favorite singles.
I wasn't a big fan but like them to this day.
My favorite Spice Girl was Baby Spice. What's yours?

emma bunton GIF by Spice Girls

I don't think kids realize the importance of the girls, we grew up where having a core group of girlfriends was essential to high school, as a gay in the early 00s, that was the only friendship some of us had, cos high school boys freaked out a lot..if you  were different than what they were comfort with. 

But the Spice girls, and a really cool HBO show like the r rated golden girls, proved even after high school you still need a group of girlfriends, cos they only know what you're going through in this world as a female being single or in the working industry..

• Love 2

Tbh I hated the Spice Girls at first. When Wannabe came out all my female friends went through a Spice Girls phase for a few weeks and since I didn't like pop music at the time, I felt completely left out when they would talk about the Spice Girls. I was like 7 at the time, and I still have PTSD from that. :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

I'm a little surprised this was their only US number 1, they had many other singles that were also masterpieces during the short high profile reign: Say You'll Be There, 2 Become 1, Who Do You Think You Are, Spice Up Your Life, Stop, Too Much.

Also, the movie Spice World is high on the camp and very entertaining!

Spice Girls Movie GIF by LogoTV

• Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block