Beyoncé lands first solo top 10 single in 6 years with 'Break My Soul'

Per EW:

"Break My Soul" is already igniting a renaissance for Beyoncé on the American charts.

The pop icon's new song has become her 20th career top 10 single on the Billboard Hot 100 — and her first as a solo artist since 2016's "Formation" — as it rises from No. 15 to No. 7 on the publication's latest ranking of the most popular songs in the country.

Released as the lead single from her upcoming album Renaissance, "Break My Soul" fuses house-inspired dance beats with Beyoncé's soaring vocals for a radical sonic departure from her last collection of original material, 2019's The Gift, a companion album to Disney's Lion King remake.

Though she hasn't reached the top 10 in the United States as a solo act since "Formation," Beyoncé has since scaled the chart via collaborations with other popular artists. Her 2017 "Perfect Duet" with Ed Sheeran reached No. 1, as did her 2020 remix of Megan Thee Stallion's "Savage," while she narrowly missed out on the top spot on J Balvin and Willy William's "Mi Gente" remix, which peaked at No. 3 five years ago.

"Break My Soul" arrived in June as the first preview of Beyoncé's seventh solo studio album — the cover for which sees the artist posing nearly nude atop a digitized horse.

Many interpreted the Renaissance album cover as both a reference to the historical Lady Godiva — who rode a horse nude in opposition to taxation — and the night Bianca Jagger famously climbed atop a horse at the Studio 54 nightclub in 1977.

"Creating this album allowed me a place to dream and to find escape during a scary time for the world. It allowed me to feel free and adventurous in a time when little else was moving. My intention was to create a safe place, a place without judgment. A place to be free of perfectionism and overthinking. A place to scream, release, feel freedom," Beyoncé wrote of the album on Instagram. "It was a beautiful journey of exploration. I hope you find joy in this music. I hope it inspires you to release the wiggle. Ha! And to feel as unique, strong, and **** as you are."

Renaissance drops on July 29.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, Stefani said:

How is this a "hit" when it'll almost certainly fall out of the Top 10 next week? :wtfdidusay_wth_what_huh_again_who_confused_looking_around: Going Top 10 for 1 week isn't a hit imo. It's Formation all over again, except without the iconic video. 

I think that's the music industry now. Hit #1 but then free fall.

I was shook when I knew that MJ was the first artist to debut at #1 in the 90s and now is almost every week 

Not her press office dropping out desperate, sensationalistic press releases about the song making it to number 7 three weeks after release lol

The track is clearly underperforming, and deservedly so since it's not the innovative comeback single you'd expect from a legacy artist. Charli XCX released basically the same song months earlier (and it's much better imo).

Her team must be in full on crisis mode as they were 100% expecting a completely different and much more enthusiastic response...

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 2
16 hours ago, Stefani said:

How is this a "hit" when it'll almost certainly fall out of the Top 10 next week? :wtfdidusay_wth_what_huh_again_who_confused_looking_around: Going Top 10 for 1 week isn't a hit imo. It's Formation all over again, except without the iconic video. 

People here don’t understand the meaning of longevity. Trust me I tried to explain.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block