Shakira's "Te Felicito" hits 200M views

But that's not the news, since that's not an outstanding feat these days. But it's more about the fact of how she ended up profiting off a personal drama, that some people may have thought would hurt her career endeavors.

I mean, I bet she'd rather have no relationship issues and still have the family she used to than a successful single, but still, this is a story of how the drama ended up benefiting this song.

The video which features Rauw Alejandro, premiered on April 21, and by the end of May it had only reached around 54M views. But after news broke last month that Shakira and the father of her children, Gerard Piqué, broke up due to him allegedly cheating on her, the video exploded in views reaching 100M views by June 18, and becoming the most watched video worldwide of that week. A couple of weeks later it's already on 200M views, and according to kworb it's expected to hit 300M views this month if it continues at this rate.

Te Felicito is a song where Shakira "congratulates" her love interest in a sarcastic way because of how good of an actor he is, implying he's a cheater. At the time of its release, it didn't make much sense and it was received as another generic song because the rumors of their split hadn't come out. But after the break up and the cheating allegations spread through the internet, and media outlets pointed out the messages from her latest song, Te Felicito suddenly gained all that attention it didn't have at the time of its release.

So in the end, at least something positive came up out of all this unfortunate situation for Shakira. Te Felicito turned out to be a better prelude to her upcoming studio album than the previous single Don't Wait Up, released in July 2021, which to this date has only gathered 48M views

• Like 2

Wow, that was fast! The song, it kinda blew up since the drama, It didn't start "well" for a Shakira single, before the drama it only gathered like 50 million views. I love the song!!! 

Don't wait up is ... cute:demi_lipstick_flirt_red_pink_makeup: I can't believe the producer is the same as Don't Start Now:calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what: The instrumental is just ONE BIG LOOP

And the new one, with the BEP is just straight bad.

1 minute ago, Ofcoursenot said:

Wow, that was fast! The song, it kinda blew up since the drama, It didn't start "well" for a Shakira single, before the drama it only gathered like 50 million views. I love the song!!! 

Don't wait up is ... cute:demi_lipstick_flirt_red_pink_makeup: I can't believe the producer is the same as Don't Start Now:calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what: The instrumental is just ONE BIG LOOP

And the new one, with the BEP is just straight bad.

GIRL LIKE ME was much better :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

• Love 2

This sort of drama has always historically been in the favour of an artist, unless, the drama concerns something shocking or awful they have done.

Shakira could not have lost from this being the household name she is.

People love drama, as much as it is gross and awful, they love it, and they will always want more. 

I'm certain someone at her label has already told her to format the album release to convey a storyline of the cheating, so that way they can capitalize on it even more. It could also be cathartic for Shaki. 

I think that the song is great. And maybe it’s not about profiting from drama itself, I mean, I love when her songs come from her true experiences rather than giving lyrics about a fictional story. Everyone who listens to her, loves when she writes from her heart.

And she has always been active in the music scene, more than other peers like Bey, Brit, and even Rihanna.

4 minutes ago, amiro1989 said:

This sort of drama has always historically been in the favour of an artist, unless, the drama concerns something shocking or awful they have done.

Shakira could not have lost from this being the household name she is.

People love drama, as much as it is gross and awful, they love it, and they will always want more. 

I'm certain someone at her label has already told her to format the album release to convey a storyline of the cheating, so that way they can capitalize on it even more. It could also be cathartic for Shaki. 

I also forgot to mention that before all this, the news was that she had to go on trial because of the tax evasion lawsuit she has in Spain, now that's nowhere to be seen since the breakup story is what appears everywhere.

Now, I'm not saying she planned this, and I think she would absolutely prefer that none of this happened and she could still have her relationship and family, but I guess all I'm saying is in the end, this has been a blessing in disguise. If this happened when she had no single out, or the single had nothing to do with cheating, there wouldn't have been any benefit.

After all the gossip press and all the stalking she's getting lately from paparazzi, at least something good is coming out of all this difficult time for her. Can't say the same about Piqué though.

Here in Argentina I'm so done with all the reggaeton and trap thing that I was aware of this song when it was just released, and I liked - I mean, if you listen to the others who trying to rap with awful autotone, you'd do to.

And the thing is that I was surprised of the underperformance of the song in the first month ... it barely reached the 20M... after the scandal of Pique and the memes it took fly up.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block