Make Me music video rollout - what was the (extra) sloppiness from the CONs about?

What were the "conspiracy theories" in 2016 about the Make Me song and video roll out? We now know that B's Team was gaslighting fans by calling the scuttlebutt "conspiracies" bc the full original version of the MM video was not leaked until April 2019 when B was being held against her will. The MM video leak and Dave Chappelle's comments majorly legitimized the #FreeBritney movement.

Larry Rudolph commented: "It’s really simple. The video just didn’t work [...] because it’s Britney there are all kinds of conspiracies. Nobody is hiding anything."

^^ Wrong.

What were the conspiracies in 2016? Any new conspiracy theories in hindsight? Just for fun:who can make the most creative conspiracy theory?

For me the release of MM in July 2016 is sloppier than usual for the CONs. The song was consistently announced to be dropped in May, then 4 days before the expected release a delay was announced. AND then with no prior announcement, the song drops July 14 at Midnight on a New Orleans radio station. Britney the next day goes to re-do the music video the terrible version.

• Love 4
  • Like 1

The song and video were consistently announced to be released in May 2016.

On April 11, 2016, Britney released exclusive news that she will shoot the video for her new single, "Make Me..." on the next Monday, and both will be released four weeks later when editing is completed. She says “The concept for the video is all set."

On May 11, 2016, Sony Music Germany confirmed the release of 'Make Me...'.

On May 12, 2016, it was confirmed that Britney would be debuting her single on May 22, 2016, at the Billboard Music Awards 2016, and performing a medley of her other hits.

On May 18, 2016, four days before the expected release date, press announced that the single had been delayed for a later summer release due to production difficulties, leaving fans upset.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, RebellionSparkles said:

The song and video were consistently announced to be released in May 2016.

On April 11, 2016, Britney released exclusive news that she will shoot the video for her new single, "Make Me..." on the next Monday, and both will be released four weeks later when editing is completed. She says “The concept for the video is all set."

On May 11, 2016, Sony Music Germany confirmed the release of 'Make Me...'.

On May 12, 2016, it was confirmed that Britney would be debuting her single on May 22, 2016, at the Billboard Music Awards 2016, and performing a medley of her other hits.

On May 18, 2016, four days before the expected release date, press announced that the single had been delayed for a later summer release due to production difficulties, leaving fans upset.

It seemed like they were going to scrap the song. But then randomly in July the song drops and a rushed music video and album announcement quickly follows.

• Love 1
  • Like 3

the thing is those dates weren't necessarily confirmed, I mean they were by that reliable source who was the man that passed away, I don't remember his name, the one that bought her painting. But it was never like an official announcement through Britney's social media or anything like that.

What I remember, and I don't know if this came from an interview or it was from the same man, at least our understanding was that they delayed the release of MM, and it wasn't debuted at the BBMA, because they couldn't get G-Eazy to film the video on time, so they had to wait for him to be available. He was on tour from February through May, that's why the video got filmed in June.

I don't think the song was ever gonna be scrapped. 

The "conspiracies" Larry must've been talking about was the reasons behind the scrapping of the video. Yes, the full footage leaked in 2019, but we got clips of it the day the Randee video premiered. We were all expecting it to be the video, and when the other thing dropped, well, meltdowns ensued of course.

Everyone was like, either Britney, her team, her record label, or someone didn't like the video and that's why it got scrapped. I mean, there are many things going on at this time, the infamous pool party, people assuring the real video would premiere after the VMA's, among other things. So it was a combination of information going around that drove people crazy. We just wanted an explanation lol 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, PokemonSpears said:

Everyone was like, either Britney, her team, her record label, or someone didn't like the video and that's why it got scrapped. I mean, there are many things going on at this time, the infamous pool party, people assuring the real video would premiere after the VMA's, among other things. So it was a combination of information going around that drove people crazy. We just wanted an explanation lol 

not to mention the clip where Britney is yelling at the shooting of the video, then Britney saying at that interview in the UK that they just filmed the video and it was like very female empowering or something along those lines 

• Love 3

It's a strange mini-chapter of Britney history, and who knows if we will ever really know the truth behind it.

There's a lot of possibilities. One being that the original video was scrapped because her team felt that she was hinting too much about her restrictions in the imagery of the video and the album's original photoshoot (David LaChapelle mentioned that Britney told him she wanted to be in a cage in the video, the images of her chained to the house with an giant ear on the ground is also particularly eerie considering everything we have since learned about her being monitored in her own home and how she was essentially imprisoned in her own home)... so it's possible that the team didn't want to arouse any suspicions about what was really going on... especially considering it was around the time the New York Times published their original article on the conservatorship. While it's possible that her team didn't want to release the video, it does seem strange that they were happy to tease the video on social media weeks before with pictures from the set, and also strange that it was mysteriously "leaked" just around the time that the Free Britney movement started and when people were becoming more suspicious with her team, and the fact that the "leaked" version was not the final edit by David.

The other possibility is that Britney herself didn't like the video. Perhaps Britney felt the video was too ***ual, and she envisioned a different vibe for Make Me. There was footage of her on set audibly saying that she didn't like it when the dancers were gyrating in their underwear against the tractor she was filming in, but they were being encouraged by the director. Perhaps Britney viewed Make Me as a softer, more romantic type of song and felt that the original video didn't match her vision.

Then there are the theories that the brand sponsors were unhappy with their product placement in the original video, and that in the final edit Orange Theory was shown on the television that Britney throws out of the window and it lands in the pool, killing someone, and that's not how they wanted their brand represented. I find that theory unlikely as surely things like that could have just been edited out had it been such a problem.

Regardless of what the real truth is, there was clearly a lot of drama involved as David LaChapelle said he would never again work with Britney's team and that the experience actually made him retire from directing music videos.

• Love 6
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

What I remember, and I don't know if this came from an interview or it was from the same man, at least our understanding was that they delayed the release of MM, and it wasn't debuted at the BBMA, because they couldn't get G-Eazy to film the video on time, so they had to wait for him to be available. He was on tour from February through May, that's why the video got filmed in June.

On a recent podcast (I think Original Doll) someone discussed G Eazy getting the call from Britney and he said they were on tour in Australia at the time, but they dropped everything and recorded the song ASAP…so maybe he was delayed for the video, but the song was recorded and ready by May.

obvs in retrospect it’s clear why the CONs hated the original video…but then why not just release the song? They eventually re-do the video a few hours after the song drops…so it seems like annoying CON nonsense that the song randomly drops in July.

• Like 1

It's so crazy to me that the photoshoot and the video basically confirmed something we only got to fully realize 3/4 years later. She really wanted Glory to let everyone know what was going on? And since she couldn't do it with music she wanted it done with the visuals? HOW did David LaChapelle knew so much, if britney wasn't able to speak to anybody? 

How did her team allow all of these pictures to be taken and the video to be filmed? Jamie didn't know anything about it or he was just too dumb to realize what David and Britney were doing?

And the thing that I mostly think about is.. Did britney like the video? Giving all those clues you'd think she'd love for that video to be out. Yet she is having the worst time on set (at least on that video on the bulldozer)

Also, remember when that dancer posted a picture at britney's house? the one that's her love interest on the video. How the hell did that happen? Does it have anything to do with the result? 

The reason for the final video is simple and it's that the label probably gave up, they had already paid all that money for a music video and a photoshoot that would be scrapped, they weren't gonna pay for another top budget music video. 

But some things remain a mistery, specially what britney thinks of David LaChapelle, we were told by David SHE didn't like it. Why did she went that far after filming all of it and taking all the pictures?  Maybe she was being threatened...

• Love 4
  • Like 4
15 minutes ago, Richie said:

But some things remain a mistery, specially what britney thinks of David LaChapelle, we were told by David SHE didn't like it. Why did she went that far after filming all of it and taking all the pictures?  Maybe she was being threatened

Yeah! But B clearly liked the MM original video. It seems like she might have been p.issed at LaChappelle for muddling down the message of MM. the original cut we get April 2019 is more emotional and raw than LaChapelle’s cut. David even says about the leaked version “this is not my edit”…that’s what makes me believe this is Britney’s edit.

19 minutes ago, Richie said:

HOW did David LaChapelle knew so much, if britney wasn't able to speak to anybody? 

This part might be known. LaChappelle says something like: Britney’s only direction was that she wanted to be in a cage…at first I thought it was going to be fierce, but she wanted to be portrayed as a vulnerable kitten in a cage. Her only direction for me in Every Time was that she wanted to die at the end.

so I think LaChappelle might be an empath that gets Britney

• Like 4

Another thing I like about the original video versus the “official” one released is the Orange Theory commercial on the monitor. In the original version (leaked April 2019) we see the Orange Theory commercial on the monitor and B throws the TV in the pool. In the “official version” it’s like a real commercial for Orange Theory. And the Dave LaChapelle edit is halfway between the two.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block