17 years ago today, Melanie B released her second studio album, 'L.A. State of Mind'. What do you remember?

On 7/1/2022 at 5:50 PM, Isla said:

Oh interesting. It does seem she didn’t have a successful solo career compared to the other Spice Girls. Although she still got a number one hit out of it.

Hot was also released during the time the Spice girls was back, Holler was everywhere, and Forever was about to come out.

Public had no interest in solo Spice especially with a brand new Spice girls album, whicg most agree, it only happened to say we did the 3rd album now leave us alone.

Even though Melanie C recorded her bits without the girls. 

One track alone Wasting my time had no Mel b at all.

And looking at the writing credits Melanie C missed out a lot cos of Northern star, so it was a way to silence critics but outside Holler and of course goodbye (last true Spice girls song with their magic)! 

Melanie C said it best It just wasnt the same, and the landscape changed so much, that they were gonna flop cos we all moved on even the UK..

To lose a chart battle to westlife and only double platinum in Canada alone, number 1 in only Brazil, was all everybody needed to know.

While it went top ten and top 5 or top 3 virtually everywhere, the sore thumb is the #39 peak on the US Billboard 200.

A far cry from the #3 (two weeks) 4X platinum and #10 best seller of 1998, and #89 best selling album in the us of the 90s, and Spice was the top selling album of 1997 in the us, with 5.7 million sold that year.

Obviously Music hit a bad patch in the US, but that shocked me as that was 2005 top selling numbers, but for 97, obviously Music wasn't as popular as I thought it was.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

I heard it.

People are also praising the only studio album by Victoria Beckham, saying that she had success despite what the press manipulated the public into thinking she flopped. 

Her second (unreleased) album is so good. Didn't even like the first one but glad the second one leaked because it was unreleased for some reason.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Hot was also released during the time the Spice girls was back, Holler was everywhere, and Forever was about to come out.

Public had no interest in solo Spice especially with a brand new Spice girls album, whicg most agree, it only happened to say we did the 3rd album now leave us alone.

Even though Melanie C recorded her bits without the girls. 

One track alone Wasting my time had no Mel b at all.

And looking at the writing credits Melanie C missed out a lot cos of Northern star, so it was a way to silence critics but outside Holler and of course goodbye (last true Spice girls song with their magic)! 

Melanie C said it best It just wasnt the same, and the landscape changed so much, that they were gonna flop cos we all moved on even the UK..

To lose a chart battle to westlife and only double platinum in Canada alone, number 1 in only Brazil, was all everybody needed to know.

While it went top ten and top 5 or top 3 virtually everywhere, the sore thumb is the #39 peak on the US Billboard 200.

A far cry from the #3 (two weeks) 4X platinum and #10 best seller of 1998, and #89 best selling album in the us of the 90s, and Spice was the top selling album of 1997 in the us, with 5.7 million sold that year.

Obviously Music hit a bad patch in the US, but that shocked me as that was 2005 top selling numbers, but for 97, obviously Music wasn't as popular as I thought it was.

This is pretty interesting. And yeah so much had changed, Forever was never gonna do as well as the first two Spice Girls albums.

On Spotify, "Hot" is the only album that appears listed for Mel B (at least for me here in Argentina, what about you guys??), the rest are singles; "L.A. State of Mind" doesn't even appear! That's weird... Is it THAT complicated to upload it, even if it was released independently? I feel like Mel B is all around messy, in every aspect of her life, so it doesn't really surprise me coming from her tbh, but it's super disappointing because she's incredibly charismatic and talented, she could be doing SO much better...

4 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

On Spotify, "Hot" is the only album that appears listed for Mel B (at least for me here in Argentina, what about you guys??), the rest are singles; "L.A. State of Mind" doesn't even appear! That's weird... Is it THAT complicated to upload it, even if it was released independently? I feel like Mel B is all around messy, in every aspect of her life, so it doesn't really surprise me coming from her tbh, but it's super disappointing because she's incredibly charismatic and talented, she could be doing SO much better...

The best Emma Bunton albun is only available in the United kingdom, Free Me.

@Islacan stream it cos it's region locked in the United kingdom, but it's up there with northern star, Schizophonic as the best solo Spice album.

That album showed Emma really does love Motown, plus @PokemonSpears can state, before Reggaeton era, Luis fonsi in his early days was a romantic love singer, and the duet with Emma Amazing on free me, as one British mag pointed out you would never be able to understand that early luis fonsi was very different in terms of image and Music as he wasnt all Reggaeton but classic julio Iglesias type balladeer in his early days, but its a far cry of the artist he is today, and it's very much two different people as well. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

@Islacan stream it cos it's region locked in the United kingdom, but it's up there with northern star, Schizophonic as the best solo Spice album.

That album showed Emma really does love Motown, plus @PokemonSpears can state, before Reggaeton era, Luis fonsi in his early days was a romantic love singer, and the duet with Emma Amazing on free me, as one British mag pointed out you would never be able to understand that early luis fonsi was very different in terms of image and Music as he wasnt all Reggaeton but classic julio Iglesias type balladeer in his early days, but its a far cry of the artist he is today, and it's very much two different people as well. 

Oh absolutely, I have that album, it was actually released in Argentina (as well as her debut). Few solo Spice Girls albums were released here, like all of Geri's up to "Passion" (included), and Mel C's up to "Reason" (included); but no other after those, and none from Victoria or Mel B.

Luis Fonsi was already widely known in Latin America as a "balladist", and he was actually really good. He already has some CLASSICS. But weirdly enough his singing is NOT good in the duet with Emma; that song is way too slow for him, and so not his vibe. He used to be more of a storyteller and sing on dramatic love songs.

56 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Dddd maybe I ought to listen to this. Maybe and Crickets Sing For Anamaria are bawps. 

5 hours ago, stanLOONA said:

Wow this is an actual flop :gaspney_britney_what_wow_shocked_surprised:

I'm shook about the publication of the actual position tho :airpls_gaga_wheeze_eyes_wide_breathe_lady_lmao_lol_haha_hehe_omg_surprised_shocked: that's shady Official charts :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

I only knew Korea publish Top 200 with Gaon, didn't knew about the UK

The Official Charts Company only publish the top 100 UK Singles/Album Chart on their website. 101-200 (and in rare instances, chart positions from 201 onwards) are only published by a few music outlets you need a subscription to. 

5 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

The album is on Spotify here in the UK. Probably geoblocked worldwide.

• Like 1
On 7/3/2022 at 8:13 PM, bitbitboi said:

It might be because on LA State Of Mind she called herself Melanie Brown [which i never understood why, she was always known as Mel B, or Melanie B] whereas on Hot she called herself Melanie B. so she may have two artists pages and Hot is under Mel B and LA State Of Mind might be under Melanie Brown, i dont know though as on spotify where i am in the UK both albums are on Mel B

See the source image

To be honest though, it might be because it flopped massively that Spotify hasnt even bothered putting it up because theres no demand for it. there's probably loads of people who dont even know of its existence  

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, jonloch1 said:

It might be because on LA State Of Mind she called herself Melanie Brown [which i never understood why, she was always known as Mel B, or Melanie B] whereas on Hot she called herself Melanie B. so she may have two artists pages and Hot is under Mel B and LA State Of Mind might be under Melanie Brown, i dont know though as on spotify where i am in the UK both albums are on Mel B

See the source image

To be honest though, it might be because it flopped massively that Spotify hasnt even bothered putting it up because theres no demand for it. there's probably loads of people who dont even know of its existence  

I just checked, she's on Spotify only as Mel B. And the only songs that I can see from her are from Hot, basically. So her second album is definitely geoblocked, since other members have told me that they can listen to it  on Spotify from other parts of the world.

PS: She has only 61,000+ listeners per month... :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek: Now I kinda want to check how many the other girls have heh...

4 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

I just checked, she's on Spotify only as Mel B. And the only songs that I can see from her are from Hot, basically. So her second album is definitely geoblocked, since other members have told me that they can listen to it  on Spotify from other parts of the world.

PS: She has only 61,000+ listeners per month... :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek: Now I kinda want to check how many the other girls have heh...

I've just checked and the full album is  on YouTube if you wanna listen to it. Tbh I'm surprised it's on my Spotify 

• Like 1
On 7/3/2022 at 12:32 PM, Isla said:

This is pretty interesting. And yeah so much had changed, Forever was never gonna do as well as the first two Spice Girls albums.

Yeh although I have to say it really annoys me when people label Forever a 'flop'. Ok yes it didnt sell as well as Spice and Spiceworld and missed out at no1 in the UK,  but it went to no2 and still sold 4 million copies worldwide and went Platinum. So yeh it didnt sell as well  as Spice and Spiceworld but it still did well

• Like 1
10 hours ago, jonloch1 said:

Yeh although I have to say it really annoys me when people label Forever a 'flop'. Ok yes it didnt sell as well as Spice and Spiceworld and missed out at no1 in the UK,  but it went to no2 and still sold 4 million copies worldwide and went Platinum. So yeh it didnt sell as well  as Spice and Spiceworld but it still did well

Yes I agree. #2 is still good. It definitely flopped in the US though, only #39 on the Billboard 200.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block