20 years ago today, A*Teens released their third studio album, 'Pop 'til You Drop!'.

I've listened to this album twice since my last post. It has some great songs but the track list is a real mess and there are tracks that are more mature and then others that sound less mature than what was on "Teen Spirit". A lot of good songs and melodies but not necessarily a collection of songs that works well together as an album. I think that between this album and "New Arrival" we have 2 great bodies of work that need to be put together into unique track listings, which I will do soon. 

Putting "Hi And Goodbye" after "Closer To Perfection" is just a horrible, horrible choice. "Hi and Goodbye" is actually a good song but coming after such a stomper, it becomes skippable. 

"Closer To Perfection" not being a single or ever performed live is just...horrible. It was so ahead of its time!

The vocal production on "This Year" is....offensive? Like, I believe it's Sarah, her vocals are just, obnoxious. There's a glorious Abba-esque chorus in there but sitting through the opening verse is a chore.

"Cross My Heart" aged so well!

Was this album basically rush released so they would have an album on the shelves to compliment "Can't Help Falling In Love" and earn some sales from Lilo & Stitch? Because it has always seemed like New Arrival was the final version of this album, and like this was the demo. 

• Love 2

Oh and was I alone in being so ready to stan A*Base?

Like I know this performance falls into "so bad it's good" territory, but there was definitely potential there and the revival of the A*Teens sound paired with Ace of Base tracks was something I was really, really wanting. I'm still sad that the blond quit and the band just fizzled out. I'd love to know the story here. 

edit: OMG watching it all these years later seriously the girl who sings the first verse is serving and has real star potential.

Can Marie please go back to pop now btw? Her debut album was so true to the A*Teens style. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, ElectricPlatypusLove said:

Was this album basically rush released so they would have an album on the shelves to compliment "Can't Help Falling In Love" and earn some sales from Lilo & Stitch? Because it has always seemed like New Arrival was the final version of this album, and like this was the demo. 

I think you're right! This album was exclusive to the US, released half a year before New Arrival, and released at the same time as Lilo & Stitch. There was only a month between the release of their Elvis cover and this album dropping, which was not normal for them. 

I think this album also seems to have a couple of tracks that were probably left over from Teen Spirit also.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mattdw said:

I think you're right! This album was exclusive to the US, released half a year before New Arrival, and released at the same time as Lilo & Stitch. There was only a month between the release of their Elvis cover and this album dropping, which was not normal for them. 

I think this album also seems to have a couple of tracks that were probably left over from Teen Spirit also.

Yeah I was doing some research about it and connected those dots. I read that there were more final mixes of some songs on New Arrival. I have these mixes , I just never put 2 and 2 together.  Pop til You Drop really sounds like a random collection of songs and it made sense to try and piggyback off the success of Lilo & Stitch and get people to buy your album when at the time singles were a dying art form and digital downloads hadn't exactly taken off. But there must be licensing issues with "Can't Help Falling In Love" now because it wasn't even listed on the album on Spotify when I searched today, but is on the Lilo & Stitch soundtrack. I guess Disney didn't like them using the Disney marketing but trying to cut them out of a piece of earnings by releasing the album containing it at the same time the soundtrack was being released. I'll bet there's a story there. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ElectricPlatypusLove said:

Does anyone know where I can hear their leaked song from this era "Are You Ready?". There are only remixes and clips on youtube but apparently it leaked.

Also why wasn't Beatbusters included on this album and where did it come from?

Saw them here in Sweden 2002. Got the chance to meet them. 😁 Teen spirit is still my favorite album with them. Firefly is such a bop! 

I’ve seen a couple of clips on YouTube with unreleased tracks. One of a kind would fit the pop til you drop album. 

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block