Social anxiety... am i the only one?

I just realized this sub-forum existed, so...

SOCIAL ANXIETY. I have social anxiety since I was little, nobody understood why I was so "shy". It is something that you can handle when you are with your parents and you are a teenager, young person, etc. And even though I never mention it to my parents, because even though I'm 32 I'm still mom and dad's boy, but since I left my country five years ago things are more difficult for me., a lot more difficult.

In Latin America there is not much culture of mental health, although luckily here in Argentina there is more openness than in other countries. Despite that, it has cost me a lot to do things as simple as getting a job. I've ruined job interviews because of social anxiety, I literally freeze and notice from the interviewer that I'm ruining the interview. And by repeating that over and over again it becomes very exhausting, to the point where sometimes you just give up.

I'm very creative and luckily I've always found ways to make money, not onlyfans you pervs... :cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek: but lately my economy has gone to **** with debts and simply not being able to pay for my things and I have to push myself again to try to get some job interviews and hope I don't screw them up. I have the support of my psychologist, but I am still afraid.

One of the things I hate the most is when they tell me that I'm not doing anything because I don't want to, which couldn't be further from the truth. I know my skills very well and I know I'm very smart, but it's a bit tricky and I don't always have it under control.

Anyone else around here with soxial anxiety? for each person it is a different story, it would be great to hear your experiences and how you have dealt with it.

Britney has mention a couple of times she has social anxiety and i'm curious about her experience with it, i hope she talks about it in her book. 

• Love 2
  • 1 month later...

I do have social anxiety. It comes and goes in intense spurts. If it's talking (like an interview, standing up for myself, giving a presentation at work, etc.), I try to write my points down ahead of time. In certain situations, I just need to memorize, like writing it down on notecards and studying until I get it right. This can help because then I be prepared to share the best of me and that makes it easier. 

Therapy helps me, too. My therapist asks me questions that helps me change the way I think about my own life. 

I think social media plays a role in it too. If I'm feeling really anxious, I try to limit my screen time, how w**d I smoke, drinking, etc. Eating better, going for walks, etc. You can't do it all, so don't try to be perfect,  but doing better in those areas can help release stress & anxiety. Having someone to talk to as well can help. 

It's hard because my social anxiety comes into play more if I really like someone in a social setting more than in professional settings. Although sometimes it happens to me at work. I work with people all the time though so every single day I have to face it and work through it, which is probably why it has become easier for me over the years.

Don't push yourself too hard, but think of it like physically working out. You don't want to overdo it and strain any muscles, but in order to gain muscle, you have to push past your comfort zone and limits a little bit. Does that make sense?

Finally, it's HARD right now. It seems like a lot of people have social anxiety after the pandemic and being on their screens for two years straight. We're all relearning how to interact with each other again, so forgive yourself for that. 

• Love 1

I think I deal with social anxiety... Or something ..  I literally was thinking off posting something like this .. I just don't know how to talk to people in my life ...and talk about how I think I struggle with anxiety...  I start getting really sweaty....and it's so noticeable .... Then I start over thinking about the sweat and it makes it worse.... Really sucks some times 

• Love 1

When I have to do serious work I take some stuff before doing it so people don't notice I'm mortified.

But in day-to-day life it's a nightmare because either I feel like everybody is watching me and laughs inside or I feel ignored, like I am invisible. A ghost.

You can never win.

I don't go to therapy. I personally find it useless but if it helps others, great.

• 1 month later...

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block