Does Anyone Find Themselves Listening to Britney Less and Less?

Sometimes I feel like Britney’s career has been based on lies and deceit. What we thought was going on was very different behind closed doors. I adore Britney and am so proud to be a fan but sometimes the whole thing gets very exhausting. I feel like Britney hates being famous, hates her career, doesn’t care much for her fans because she’s been so damaged by the industry and people taking advantage of her. 

It would be nice to not be disappointed ALL the time. It would be nice to see Britney living her best life out at events and doing podcasts at this point in her career - giving away cool stories about her 20+ years in the industry. Instead I feel like she wants far far away from everything which I don’t blame her but it’s **** from a fan point of view who loves an artist. 

• Love 1

I'd find it rather odd if you found yourself listening to her music more and more these days. Unless your a gen z kid soaking up her legacy for the first time, obviously the lack of new material is gonna slow things down. Some of you are weaving these grand narratives to explain what is simply a natural and inevitable course of events. It's not that complicated.

I have periods where I won't listen to her music for a few weeks and then I'll listen to her albums for a week straight and then I'll take another break. 

There are so many other artists and genres that I adore and I can't spend all my time listening to Britney but that doesn't change the fact that Brit and her music will always have a special place in my heart. 

I’m under no pretence that Britney thinks favourably of the industry at the moment or that she ever will again. She has made it very clear that the conservatorship and abuse she has endured have ruined her passion for what she used to love.

That said, I think Britney had more input in her career during the conservatorship than she is given credit for. She has talked about always trying her best (even though it went unappreciated by her handlers) and there were times some genuine passion shone through. I’m not saying she got her way but I also don’t believe she had no input at all.

I agree that her work between 2008-2021 feels somewhat tainted but at the same time, I think it would be a disservice to Britney and the work she put in to denounce whatever she did career wise in that time. Regardless of what any of us think of it, it will always be a part of her legacy.

Thankfully Britney is now free and will directly receive the artist share of royalties moving forward, so I have no issue with streaming her work (though I did boycott 2019-2021). I just hope that she can find peace and build the normal, happy life she has always dreamed of. And if that means she will never work again, at least we have nine eras to look back on and enjoy. 

• Love 2

Me too. I think it's because the big gap since her last album. It happened to me with other 2 ultimates: Girls' Generation and Blackpink, since it's been so long I just stopped listening to them, not because one day I said "ok, bye" it just happened and I noticed.

I go back when I remember some songs out of the blue or for anniversaries, since last year I'm all ears for Britney (2001).

BJ doesn't exist to me. And since her words yeah, everything post-Blackout feels weird to listen to.

7 hours ago, b42ad said:

I’m under no pretence that Britney thinks favourably of the industry at the moment or that she ever will again. She has made it very clear that the conservatorship and abuse she has endured have ruined her passion for what she used to love.

That said, I think Britney had more input in her career during the conservatorship than she is given credit for. She has talked about always trying her best (even though it went unappreciated by her handlers) and there were times some genuine passion shone through. I’m not saying she got her way but I also don’t believe she had no input at all.

I agree that her work between 2008-2021 feels somewhat tainted but at the same time, I think it would be a disservice to Britney and the work she put in to denounce whatever she did career wise in that time. Regardless of what any of us think of it, it will always be a part of her legacy.

Thankfully Britney is now free and will directly receive the artist share of royalties moving forward, so I have no issue with streaming her work (though I did boycott 2019-2021). I just hope that she can find peace and build the normal, happy life she has always dreamed of. And if that means she will never work again, at least we have nine eras to look back on and enjoy. 

I agree completely with this. To say Britney had no involvement in her career from 2008-2021 would not be accurate. She was not the driving force of her career by any means but in the I Am Britney Doc you could see her giving some creative input. Was she able to perform the remixes she wanted? I guess not but you can see some traces of Britney the person and artist during the conservatorship. 

I do find myself listening to her music less these days because there's something unsettling about the whole situation. She was used by so many people as a cash cow since 1998. Many people just wanted her to generate pop hits because those were the most profitable. This is the case for a lot of artists signed by record labels but there's something different about someone who ends up being controlled by her father after becoming one of the most successful pop stars.  You could see her passion during those early days but by ITZ she stated many times that she was burned out and did not agree with the schedule created for her. Some of her most authentic hits are unreleased songs like "Let Go" and "State of Grace." You can hear her heart and soul in songs like those. 

I'll always be a fan of the first 4 albums, and Blackout for that matter. They were all so unique in their own ways. And I   don't think people should jump to conclusions about not liking Femme Fatale, Britney Jean or Glory until Britney says so. She made the albums willingly, fulfilling her record contract. On 'Glory', she got to work with up and coming producers whom she really enjoyed. 

Everything negative about this conservatorship we've heard directly from Britney, seems to center around her father, his control, the forced medications and therapy, and the lack of freedom to enjoy her life and money during the residency and world tours. Never has she said she was forced to make her records and doesn't like them. So, I wouldn't worry about that. Fans loved seeing her in Vegas, and there were times on that stage where you can see she was having a blast. It's not all bad over the years... just the circumstances surrounding it. 

I'm very excited to read her book, and hear from Britney directly what she thinks about her art, her impact, and these last 13 years. Maybe I'm wrong, and she does hate it all..... but I  feel if that were the case, she'd say it. 

I do believe she wanted to be a person that had a purpose like serious Music.

Only problem is before the conservatorship Jive wanted her to stay a shallow s** pot (for lack of proper terms), something tells me the decrease in sales of the Britney albun, probably was red flags for jive. 

They cared more about money and getting hits, that i rarely saw a single that bared her name outside of a few, but when you  read the credits of her best of.

Signing contracts with songwriting teams, meant Britney deeper cuts got cut on the floor.

So i feel behind closed doors, Deals were made without her knowledge, like outrageous and catwoman 

Add probably treated as a money machine, who isn't allowed to take time off, cos the label treats her as a fad cos of the teen pop cash cow 

So even before the conservatorship odds were against on the business side of her label. 

I love finding remixes and extended/alternate versions of her songs. I grew up with her music so it will always be my happy place. I also like diving into previous eras and listening to their corresponding albums and videos. I just admire her courage and find her career and life story fascinating. I don’t think I’ll ever tire of her music. 

It's undeniable that her energy and involvement in her muaic post 2008 is not the same. The Music sound generic and biased. 

I don't generally listen to her albuns post circus. Circus was released when I was in high school. I have so many memories of that time. So I cherish it a lot.... But still she sounds faded.  What is Kill the lights people? Mm papi? The concept would be very different if it was brinteys original idea.... The whole project sounds rushed and unpolished....

Femme fatale. I love this album. Again the memory lane.... First time I've seen her live. Although I loved that moment she wasn't there at 100. She felt off. The rinterviews and live performances from that time are.... Different and hard to watch. The album aged a lot.  The quintessential britney is not there. 

BJ doesn't exist in my universe. 

Glory it's fine but not my favourite of hers. I don't think it is cohesive. I don't know... 

In summary I agree with you.  The fact she hasn't released anything in ages - thi is the longest of hers without releasing anything-does contribute for that emotional disconnection.... 

Plus. This femme fatale vixen kind of image will not work from now onwards... At least I don't see that happen. I wish she had more depth in her music by now and could be more experimental. Her live dinâmics need to change a lot....... Wacthing the piece of me filmed concerts is the most boring thing on earth.... There is no aliveness and spontaneity. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block